Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Lackawanna news

Post History.........Does Anyone Care?

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Kozak View Post
    Thanks for the link. I was at the Wall a fews years ago when I went to a VA conference. It is awe inspiring! Hubby & I lost a good friend there, whose chopper went down. His body was never found. Found him on the wall, though & cried like a baby. didn't matter, though cause other visitors were crying, too! the traveling wall is inspiring, but not until you see and stand in front of the monument itself, does it really hit you!
    I agree. I still have my POW bracelet! Without our generations of Vets.....who knows where America would be.........
    The Holocaust Museum in Washington is something else too.....it leaves you speechless when you come out. Seeing the huge pile of thousands of shoes that actual people wore, sends you reeling!

Lackawanna's history is being made by the minute, but I don't think people think about their community, or their own legacy, in that way as a rule. Folks are too caught up in the daily hustle-bustle of their lives, and rightfully so.
    We need a solid plan, with lots of goals that work toward OUR vision for Lackawanna in the next 1-5-10-15-100 years etc. Father Baker is making his moves too, and he has been gone since 1936! We are living in a very exciting time! WE can change, if we/politicians really want to for the sake of posterity!
    Lots of us care and know OUR great City has gotten a bum rap for far too long. What kind of history will our generation leave behind......a beat down--has been city, with a negative image? Thousands and thousands of people are from Lackawanna but moved out to get away from the negativity and blight. They still care though.

Martin Road belly-flop speaks for itself.........

I truly believe we can turn things around little by little. Getting Gateway to the table to discuss the future use of Old North is a huge leap in the right direction! We can tie OUR strong history to the present through the facade of that structure on OUR waterfront and it ..... will be the catalyst critical to Lackawanna's turn-around.

I Believe. Don't you want OUR kids to inherit a City of destination like the one many of us were born into?! We can't take " OLD NORTH " for granted any longer!

Post Lackawanna Happenings....

Lackawanna
    News Staff Reports
    Published:June 10, 2012, 12:00 AM

The Board of Education will hold its monthly work session at 6 p.m. Monday in the Superintendent’s Conference Room, Room 202, 245 South Shore Boulevard. The board will hold its regular monthly business meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday in Martin Road Elementary School Auditorium, 135 Martin Road.

Also this week:

• The city’s Planning and Development Board will meet at 5:15 p.m. Wednesday in Council Chambers, 714 Ridge Road, to discuss a development plan review for Welded Tube, 1951 Hamburg Turnpike.

• The Zoning Board of Appeals will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday in Council Chambers to consider a request by Abdulla S. Almontaser to open a bakery and deli and a request by Rahma Abdulla for a variance for a fence at 128 Norfred Drive.

• Sanitation crews will conduct bulk garbage pickups in city neighborhoods Monday through Friday. Bulk items such as appliances, furniture and mattresses may be left at the curb on regular garbage day for pickup. The city will offer one other bulk pickup this year, during the week of Sept. 17.

• Baker Victory Services recently completed a remodeling of its Dental Center at 790 Ridge Road. The new offices feature low chairs for children and extra-wide rooms for parents to accompany them. Three dentists and three dental hygienists staff 10 patient rooms.

Not happy about-nor keen on " fracking " but I always knew Lackawanna has got something other communities don't..........LOCATION-LOCATION-LOCATION!

This is just the start of it too! One day soon lots of good--clean--businesses will " wanna--come to Lackawanna ".......! We have to treat people right, no more back-room poli-tricks/self-serving " deals ". We need above board, fair-play and transparency from here on out......or we are doomed to be a downer place to live compared to Hamburg, etc.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ********************
    City & Region
    Communities » Lackawanna

Canadian steel company eyes former Bethlehem site

Welded Tube may bring life to brownfield
    By Jay Tokasz
    News Staff Reporter

Published:June 14, 2012, 12:00 AM

A Canadian company’s plan to locate a new steel manufacturing facility in Lackawanna would bring more than 100 jobs and industrial activity to the former Bethlehem Steel site for the first time in decades.

Welded Tube of Canada, a private firm based in Concord, Ont., wants to use 45 acres of the long-dormant Bethlehem Steel site for a $48 million, 109,000-square-foot facility where flat steel can be cold-formed into rounded tubing.

Company representatives briefly spelled out the plan Wednesday afternoon during a meeting of the Lackawanna Planning and Development Board.

The board voted unanimously to declare its intent to be the lead governmental agency as the company does an environmental review required by state law.

Welded Tube also has applied for tax incentives from the Erie County Industrial Development Agency.

“ECIDA and other partners have been working with the company for quite a while,” said John Cappellino, ECIDA executive vice president and the agency’s director of business development. “At the end of the day, this looks like the site that holds the most promise for them.”

Welded Tube takes flat steel and forms it into round tubing 4z to 9, inches in diameter, in custom lengths. The tubes mostly are used by companies in the energy industry or for structural purposes, according to Robert Pike, Welded Tube vice president.

After being manufactured in Lackawanna, the tubes would be sent to Welded Tube facilities in Welland and Port Colborne, Ont., for hydrotesting and finishing.

“We want to have a U.S. presence, and, strategically, it works with our existing operation in Welland,” Pike said.

Welded Tube’s $48 million investment would include the building, equipment and machinery.

The building would be about 40 feet tall and located 1,500 feet from

Route 5. Ten acres of the site would be used for outdoor storage of steel tube.

Adam Walters, an attorney with Phillips Lytle, the law firm representing the company in its planning and environmental review, told the board Wednesday that Welded Tube had an “aggressive construction schedule” and expected to have the Lackawanna facility open and operating within six months of receiving the proper approvals.

After the meeting, Pike said that the company hoped to have the facility operating by the second quarter of 2013.

Initially, Welded Tube would employ about 25 people at the new facility. The number is expected to more than triple within five years.

“Our business plan is to grow to approximately 121 employees for a three-shift operation,” Pike said.

The former Bethlehem Steel site, currently owned by Tecumseh Development, is still considered a brownfield.

Welded Tube’s plan includes remediation of the acreage it will be using, Walters said.

Mayor Geoffrey M. Szymanski said he was excited about the opportunity to welcome industry back to a site that’s been dormant — aside from windmills built on the property — since the Bethlehem Steel plant closed in 1983.

The new facility’s precision machining works should bring decent-paying jobs to Lackawanna, he added.

jtokasz@buffnews.com

Lackawanna teen identified as homicide victim

By Matt Gryta

News Staff Reporter

Updated: June 29, 2012, 9:28 PM

Buffalo police have identified the victim of a fatal shooting about 1:30 a.m. today on Oxford Avenue as Jeremy J. Lamar, 19, of Lackawanna.

Dennis J. Richards, chief of detectives, said Lamar was found dead after the SUV he was driving struck a pole at 1063 West Delavan Ave. Police rushed to the scene in response to the report of gunshots in the 200 block of Oxford Avenue.

Lamar was declared dead at the scene. Richards said the vehicle the murder victim was driving was not registered locally. Buffalo police were assisted by officers of the Canisius College Department of Public Safety.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact police at the TIPCALL number - 847-2255, text a tip at 716.847-2255 or use report a tip to the department’s website, www.bpdny.org.

mgryta@buffnews.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Home
    Mayor
    Council
    Public Safety
    Senior Center
    Departments
    News

Latest News

A $458,752 grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will allow the Lackawanna Fire Department to add four new firefighters and…

Read More

July 3, 2012
    July 2012

Thank you for visiting.
    Welcome to our website, where you will find information about our great city.

Community News:

A $458,752 grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland…

The 2012 Lackawanna Festival June 21st- 24th. A list…

Great Land Bank article as reported by Art…

The 2012 Lackawanna FestivalJune 21st- 24th. A list of…

Read More

Lackawanna Links:
    Erie County Government
    Final Assessment Roll 2012.
    Lackawanna School
    New York State Government
    Our Lady of Victory
    Lackawanna State of the City

Upcoming Events:

June 10, 2012 – Big Garbage Week
    6:00 pm, General
    Read More
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    Folks this is a copy I cut and pasted today, of the NEW City of Lackawanna WEB site: www.lackawannany.gov

For some reason the City Charter/Code and Council Minute Archives are no longer available to us. I called City Hall and received no reason from Council Secretary/Deputy City Clerk, other than it is the Mayors' doing. The Mayor was in a meeting when I called him last week, sooooooooooo Oh well,........

P.S. If you get a chance, go on the site and click onto " Lackawanna State of the City "......sadly, only 109 people viewed (maybe 110 with me), and a handful were in the audience, in March, I believe, when it was presented to us.

Post He Who Laughs Last.....Lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    Home
    Mayor
    Council
    Public Safety
    Senior Center
    Departments
    News

Latest News

A $458,752 grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will allow the Lackawanna Fire Department to add four new firefighters and…

Read More

July 3, 2012
    July 2012

Thank you for visiting.
    Welcome to our website, where you will find information about our great city.

Community News:

A $458,752 grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland…

The 2012 Lackawanna Festival June 21st- 24th. A list…

Great Land Bank article as reported by Art…

The 2012 Lackawanna FestivalJune 21st- 24th. A list of…

Read More

Lackawanna Links:
    Erie County Government
    Final Assessment Roll 2012.
    Lackawanna School
    New York State Government
    Our Lady of Victory
    Lackawanna State of the City

Upcoming Events:

June 10, 2012 – Big Garbage Week
    6:00 pm, General
    Read More
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    Folks this is a copy I cut and pasted today, of the NEW City of Lackawanna WEB site: www.lackawannany.gov

For some reason the City Charter/Code and Council Minute Archives are no longer available to us. I called City Hall and received no reason from Council Secretary/Deputy City Clerk, other than it is the Mayors' doing. The Mayor was in a meeting when I called him last week, sooooooooooo Oh well,........

P.S. If you get a chance, go on the site and click onto " Lackawanna State of the City "......sadly, only 109 people viewed (maybe 110 with me), and a handful were in the audience, in March, I believe, when it was presented to us.

" Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems "

I can't access City web page ......

Toooo funny!
    Thanks Geoff!
    Wish I had that much clout when I was on the Council!

Post Who does the City WEB....anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    " Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems "

I can't access City web page ......

Toooo funny!
    Thanks Geoff!
    Wish I had that much clout when I was on the Council!
    OK now....
    www.lackawannany.gov back up!
    Thanx, but no City Charter/Code + Council Minute Archives yet.

Soon?

I really hope that the mayor puts the city charter and the council minutes back up. Moving backwards in terms of transparency is a huge red flag

"A $458,752 grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will allow the Lackawanna Fire Department to add four new firefighters."
    The 2 year firefighter plan? The money runs out then what? Who is gonna pay for it then? Do they expect Higgins to get them more money for this? Look if we don't have money now we sure as hell won't have money then. So any ideas on how to fix this. Time to look at the City of Tonawanda and see how they fight fires. Nothing against our firefighters whatsoever! It's just time for outside the box thinking.

Great point bluethunder. What happens when that money runs out? We should be trying to pay down debt and reduce spending every chance we get. Reduced spending does not mean that we cant deliver critical services, we just need to think about more efficient ways to delivering them and take a hard look at what is really necessary, and look at what benefits, cadillac healthcare plans and pensions due to the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by highestpropertytaxes View Post
    Great point bluethunder. What happens when that money runs out? We should be trying to pay down debt and reduce spending every chance we get. Reduced spending does not mean that we cant deliver critical services, we just need to think about more efficient ways to delivering them and take a hard look at what is really necessary, and look at what benefits, cadillac healthcare plans and pensions due to the budget.
    In today's economy totally paid cadillac healthcare benefits have to go. Offer basic plans, you want the cream of the crop coverage the difference then comes yours, out of your own pocket. Big savings.
    Last edited by getalife123; July 5th, 2012 at 11:38 AM.

Post He Who Laughs Last.....Lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post
    In today's economy totally paid cadillac healthcare benefits have to go. Offer basic plans, you want the cream of the crop coverage the difference then comes yours, out of your own pocket. Big savings.
    Look at Wisconsen!

And the other point is that the "family and friends club" greed never ends!
    One, two jobs who cares........but I have heard of so many QUALIFIED people's kids having to move away, etc.
    They don't stand a chance in LA.....unless, they join the CLUB and have at least 10 votes they can round up on election day! Maybe...after tons of brown nosing, hundreds of cocktail party tickets, and paying homage to the self-appointed Kings and Queens......maybe they get in part--time. And when a bigger ball-er comes along........

Something has to give.....Private Sector would walk out of the room at negotiations!

Yes, the pay checks are BIG enough to pay much more of their expenses "out of THEIR own pocket"......NOT ours! Yes, BIG Savings!

Francis J. (Binky) KULCZYK

Visit Guest Book

KULCZYK - Francis J. (Binky) 1936-2012, of Lackawanna, NY, Dearest father of Thomas (Diana) and Francis D. (Michelle); grandfather of Melissa and Daniel; son of the late Francis and Natalie (nee Szelewski) Kulczyk; brother of James (Ann Marie), Marcia (William) Kaster and the late Natalie (Leonard) Salamone. Services from THE COLONIAL MEMORIAL CHAPELS, INC., 3003 South Park Ave, Lackawanna, NY, Monday morning at 8:45 AM and from Our Lady of Victory Basilica at 9:15 AM. Visitation Sunday only 3 - 8 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post This has been in the making for many-many years....I hope it comes to fruition!

News
    August 11, 2012
    Thank you for visiting.
    City’s First Ward Brownfields Redevelopment Plan
    Category: CommunityNews | Posted On: August 9th, 2012
    Secretary of State Cesar A. Perales and Lackawanna Mayor Geoffrey Szymanski

Unveil City’s First Ward Brownfields Redevelopment Plan

ALBANY, NY (08/07/2012)(readMedia)–

New York Secretary of State Cesar A. Perales was joined by City of Lackawanna Mayor Geoffrey Szymanski, county and state officials to unveil the City’s plan to redevelop underutilized Brownfield properties back to economic use.

The City of Lackawanna completed the Brownfield redevelopment plan for the City’s First Ward with a $202,500 Brownfield Opportunity Areas grant from the New York State Department of State. The redevelopment plan establishes a direction for improving the First Ward area, with an emphasis on establishing higher value employment areas, strengthening existing neighborhoods, restoring and protecting natural areas; and providing waterfront access and recreational opportunities.

“Whether it’s building a wind farm or revitalizing the area’s business parks, redeveloping Lackawanna’s brownfields is a key to spurring new investment and opportunities to Lackawanna,” said New York Secretary of State Cesar A. Perales. “We are pleased to be funding a balanced plan to spur job growth and environmental revitalization to the area. I applaud the Mayor and all our local partners for the work they are doing to revitalize their community.”

“The First Ward is the gateway into our City and development and beautification,” said City of Lackawanna Mayor Geoffrey Szymanski. “The Plan being developed under New York Department of State grant will revitalize the First Ward and pave the way for further private and public investment.”

The City’s plan identifies five reinvestment areas and strategic sites for redevelopment, each with unique qualities, assets and potential. The reinvestment areas were determined based on a similarity of proposed land uses and the scale of existing development in the area, as well as the need for compatible design, marketing, development, and infrastructure The five Reinvestment Areas include: Ridge Road Mixed Use ‘Main Street’; Steelawanna Business Park; Hamburg Turnpike Employment Corridor; First Ward Neighborhood; and Smokes Creek Business Park.

Lackawanna has a land use legacy left from heavy industrial manufacturing that once dominated the landscape. The First Ward encompasses 2,062 acres bordered by Lake Erie on the West and centered on Ridge Road and Hamburg Turnpike (NYS Route 5). Nearly half or 1,000 acres of this area consists of the former Bethlehem Steel site, which closed in 1983. At one time the plant was the fourth largest steel producer in the US. It employed over 20,000 people at its peak. Lackawanna’s First Ward has experienced a number of challenges since the departure of the area’s largest industrial employer, including population decline, limited investment in its aging housing stock, high poverty, high unemployment, below average income and below average educational attainment. Furthermore, it is affected by close to 50 brownfields and vacant properties.

The redevelopment plan builds on recent successes in the area. Over the last decade several successful business have been established on underutilized and brownfield sites in the First Ward, including anew hotel, a wholesale retail coffee roaster, a multipurpose convenience store/fuel station, and a manufacturer of specialized metal components, among others, as well as the installation of the Steel Winds, a large-scale urban wind farm on the Bethlehem Redevelopment Area.

Posted Tuesday August 07, 2012 at 01:15 pm by New York State Department of State

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Off the City's web........toot-toot!

The DEC and others are to be heartedly thanked for this great help and many-many years of due-diligence!

Cool Cheer-Cheer!

My Grandson was picked and others........ the Lackawanna Boys Baseball Association ALL-STARS play-off games are playing today in Hamburg on Legion Drive.

GO Lackawanna!

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread Information