Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Lackawanna news

From POLITICSWNY:
    UPDATE: Lackawanna Chairman Fran Warthling (D) wants to make it clear Fahey (D) carried Lackawanna. I believe that is the only City or Town he did carry. Fran always gets the vote out & the job done. He has been laid up with a serious leg injury & still got the job done

Oh bless his little heart. What a guy!

Why would anyone pump up this guy? He has had no oppostion in Lackawanna for years and controls the conservative and independence lines also thanks to his ECWA connections. Quite frankly supporting Fahey was pretty stupid. Higgins and Company have done nothing but take Lackawanna for granted because they always know they can get votes there come election time. This election proves that! If these guys were so awesome for Lackawanna why did the council recently hire a lobbying firm to get grants and money? Can any self respecting democrat in this city answer this? Why would you back THESE people?

Post Keen insight!

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
    Why would anyone pump up this guy? He has had no oppostion in Lackawanna for years and controls the conservative and independence lines also thanks to his ECWA connections. Quite frankly supporting Fahey was pretty stupid. Higgins and Company have done nothing but take Lackawanna for granted because they always know they can get votes there come election time. This election proves that! If these guys were so awesome for Lackawanna why did the council recently hire a lobbying firm to get grants and money? Can any self respecting democrat in this city answer this? Why would you back THESE people?
    To the tune of $2000/month too......$$24,000/yr that could be used on sidewalks, etc.!
    Did I hear Fahey makes $89,000/yr as Higgins "Aide"?!? ..... If so, how much does Mr. Higgins make a year to REPRESENT the City of Lackawanna so we get a slice of the Washington pie?

And the boys hired "Lobbyists".....did anybody check to see if there are any LA connections seeing OUR City and School system are the only municipality they lobby for?

Great points bluethunder!

Shouldn't be too hard to find any LA connections. I'm sure you already did, didn't you Andrea.

The slice of the pie always gets bigger and jucier everyday.

Post Interesting...VERY Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard to find any LA connections. I'm sure you already did, didn't you Andrea.
    COUNCIL MEETING

February 6, 2012
    Communications from the Mayor:

Bolton-St. Johns, LLC – Lobbying Services

To: City Council

I have received a proposal from Bolton-St. Johns LLC to provide lobbying services on behalf of the City for the period January 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012. I request approval of the resolution authorizing me to sign the proposal to amend the date to correspond with the approval date. The Lackawanna School Board has agreed to engage in the services on behalf of the school district also. The monthly fee of $2000 is very reasonable. Furthermore, after a thirty day period the contract is cancellable if for any reason we should be dissatisfied with the services provided, we can cancel at a minimal cost.

GEOFFREY M. SZYMANSKI, MAYOR

Moved by Kulczyk, seconded by Noman to receive and file, act on resolution.

Yeas: Noman, Kulczyk, Pirowski

Nays: Lewis Carried 3-1

Two Lackawanna Firefighters Subdue Armed Man

By John Borsa

April 23, 2012Updated Apr 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM EDT
    LACKAWANNA, NY (WKBW) -

Firefighters risk their lives everyday running into burning buildings and putting themselves in situations that few of us would ever consider.

But nothing could prepare two Lackawanna firefighters for the life and death situation they faced Monday afternoon.

Ron Shul and Rick Chmielowiec have a combined 32 years of experience working for the Lackawanna Fire Department.

And they thought they had seen it all.

"We're pretty seasoned guys and never came across a situation like this," Shul said.

It started with a call from an apartment for a diabetic man with a history of alcohol abuse in need of medical attention.

The firefighters responded to Dorrance Avenue and found a visiting nurse outside the home, while another nurse and a Rural Metro Ambulance paramedic were inside.

"Rick started to interview [the patient]," said Shul. "During the interview process the question was asked about his alcohol use today and he said, 'I'll show you how much alcohol I drank today.'"

What happened next stunned the two firefighters.

"He went behind the bedroom door and grabbed a rifle," Chmielowiec said.

"Very scary," said Shul. "I have never had a gun pointed at me before."

With all five people staring down the barrel of a shotgun, Chmielowiec said he moved up against the wall and slowly walked around towards the back of the distraught man.

"He didn't know I was there so I took him down," said Chmielowiec. "Ron was about to get the weapon out of his hands."

Police were called and the man was taken into custody.

No word if he will face any charges. No one was hurt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

William A. "Billy" DELMONT
    | Visit Guest Book

DELMONT - William A. "Billy" Of Lackawanna, entered into rest April 28, 2012, beloved husband of the late Mary Ann (nee Salem) Delmont; devoted father of Kathy (Gerard) Taylor, Kim Delmont, Noreen (Michael) Guzzo, Lynne (Thomas) Sevinsky, Mary (Joel) Violanti and Phillip (Stacey) Delmont; cherished grandfather of 12 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren; loving son of the late Phillip and Catherine (nee Pitillo) Delmont; dear brother of the late Robert (late Clementine) Delmont; also survived by family and many friends. Relatives and friends may visit the LOMBARDO FUNERAL HOME (Southtowns Chapel), 3060 Abbott Rd. near Lake Ave. on Tuesday from 2-8 PM. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated in Our Lady of Victory Basilica, corner of Ridge Rd. & South Park Ave. on Wednesday morning at 9:15 o'clock. (Please assemble at church). Interment Hillcrest Cemetery. Mr. Delmont was a Navy veteran. Flowers gratefully declined. Online condolences may be made at www.lombardofuneralhome.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Delmont death marks end of political era

His influence and style as urban political boss are not likely to be seen again, experts say.

Updated: April 30, 2012, 11:11 PM

Every Saturday morning at a cafe called Daisies in downtown Lackawanna, the line formed.

Politicians and politician wannabes recognized the trip to Daisies as a required pilgrimage. It was here that William A. "Billy" Delmont held court each weekend -- the place where countless political fortunes were determined by the diminutive power broker.

Some sought his blessing for town councilman or village trustee. Others recognized the influence of his tiny but powerful Conservative Party in races for county or state legislature. Still others -- even those aspiring to governor or U.S. senator -- simply sought advice from the veteran of Erie County's rough-and-tumble politics.

Delmont's death Saturday at 81, say a host of Republicans and Democrats who dealt with him, marks the end of an era in Erie County. The pols may still make their way to Daisies on Saturdays, they say, but Delmont's influence and his style as urban political boss are not likely to be seen again.

"People went to him for advice whether they were applying for the Conservative Party endorsement or not," said former County Executive Dennis T. Gorski. "He was part of a breed leaving the political scene. Indeed, he was one of the great pillars that go back to the '40s that will be missed."

After more than half a century of political involvement, first as a rare Lackawanna Republican and then as a Conservative, Delmont accumulated his share of friends and critics.

Some cited his appointment as Gorski's senior executive assistant as a reward for the crucial Conservative endorsement in 1991. Others noted that his Lackawanna Front Page weekly newspaper earned him significant income as the official county newspaper.

His post on the board of trustees of Erie Community College, some said, stemmed from George E. Pataki's 1994 gubernatorial victory on the strength of the Conservative line. Still others railed over the disproportionate influence his Conservatives wielded -- the minor party tail wagging the major party dogs.

In one instance, Delmont's enemies turned violent. He was beaten up by three men in front of his Lackawanna home in 1987 in a case that he said "smacks of politics" but that still is shrouded by mystery.

Nobody disputed that Delmont served as the face of the party for generations, or that his nod could make or break a political career.

"Billy was a master politician, not only as chairman or in public office, but through his entire life," said former Rep. Thomas M. Reynolds, a onetime Erie County Republican chairman who was sometimes an ally, sometimes a foe.

"This all didn't happen 30 years ago," he said, adding: "He did it in the last election."

Reynolds explained that during his days in Congress, colleagues from around the country were often puzzled by Conservative power in New York -- where "fusion" voting allows for members of major parties to run on a minor-party line without being an official member.

"But that made the difference in the election of George Pataki as governor or Dennis Vacco as attorney general, or could help Dennis Gorski as county executive," Reynolds said. "Everybody wanted to court them unless they had a philosophical aversion to the Conservative line. And those pols were few and far between."

Raymond F. Gallagher, the former state senator and Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority chairman who was a close Delmont friend, said the Conservative honcho belied the image of an old-time political boss. All kinds of politicians -- even those with no hope of the party line -- would often simply seek Delmont's counsel, he said.

His reign, Gallagher added, was far from dictatorial. "His political sense was basically nonconfrontational," he said. "He would try to work things out, because people against him in an election could be with him in the next. He always left open the door in a relationship."

But Gallagher added that Delmont, a former Lackawanna High School quarterback despite his small stature, achieved his share of successes because he throughly grasped both the art and science of politics. Even in his last days, as a plethora of illnesses overtook him, Delmont could dissect victories and defeats by analyzing election results district by district -- who voted for whom and how their aunts, uncles and parents voted, too, he said.

"He did so many things people never saw, but you saw the results on Election Day," Gallagher said. "And he knew who the good guys were too."

Ralph C. Lorigo, chairman of the Erie County Conservative Party for the last 17 years, said he has never run away from the fact that he and Delmont controlled the party together. He called him a "father figure" to him and many others, who preferred the backstage while Lorigo made the official pronouncements.

"Billy was the kind of guy who thought everything could be resolved if people had respect for each other -- by conversations," he said. "It's going to be different now."

rmccarthy@buffnews.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool Memorial Day......

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.
    George Washington
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
    Mark Twain
    ************************************************** *************************

And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.
    John F. Kennedy
    ************************************************** *********************************************
    A bunch of our Lackawanna men were in Mamula's Main Lunch on lower Ridge Road the day Pearl Harbor broke out.....they all enlisted in the service the very next day! Our Dad was one of them.......he was only 17, can you imagine?!?

That is the fire and spunk that once lived in the bellies of the people of Lackawanna.........the pride and love of country, community, and protection of all. I/we were raised with it, lots of us have that feeling of pride for Lackawanna. Unfortunately aside from the sports, our pride has faded away somewhat. Taking the schools out of the First Ward had a lot to do with it. Crumbling Lincoln is a downright sin and the people responsible should hang their heads!
    I know Lackawanna deserves so much better, we are getting a bum rap out there....why we can't even get people to move here and build in the new Martin Road sub-division.......they would rather go to Hamburg for that kind of money!
    Well, that is the task at hand.....I can't/won't stop fighting the self-serving agendas of the people who have robbed us of the respect we are due! A clean, modern, stable, and vibrant City....is that asking too much?!

Thank you servicemen-women, and families for all your sacrifices to keep America the "land of the free"!
    Enjoy YOUR day, everyone!

P.S.
    I heard we were in the Guinness Book of World records for having the most "enlisted" men that went into WWII......anyone know if this is true?

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.
    George Washington
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
    Mark Twain
    ************************************************** *************************

And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.
    John F. Kennedy
    ************************************************** *********************************************
    A bunch of our Lackawanna men were in Mamula's Main Lunch on lower Ridge Road the day Pearl Harbor broke out.....they all enlisted in the service the very next day! Our Dad was one of them.......he was only 17, can you imagine?!?

That is the fire and spunk that once lived in the bellies of the people of Lackawanna.........the pride and love of country, community, and protection of all. I/we were raised with it, lots of us have that feeling of pride for Lackawanna. Unfortunately aside from the sports, our pride has faded away somewhat. Taking the schools out of the First Ward had a lot to do with it. Crumbling Lincoln is a downright sin and the people responsible should hang their heads!
    I know Lackawanna deserves so much better, we are getting a bum rap out there....why we can't even get people to move here and build in the new Martin Road sub-division.......they would rather go to Hamburg for that kind of money!
    Well, that is the task at hand.....I can't/won't stop fighting the self-serving agendas of the people who have robbed us of the respect we are due! A clean, modern, stable, and vibrant City....is that asking too much?!

Thank you servicemen-women, and families for all your sacrifices to keep America the "land of the free"!
    Enjoy YOUR day, everyone!

P.S.
    I heard we were in the Guinness Book of World records for having the most "enlisted" men that went into WWII......anyone know if this is true?
    I believe the title the City holds is that it lost the most soldiers per capita than any other City in the Nation during WWII. I remember hearing that stat read during a memorial mass attended by the members of the Matthew Glad post & Ladies Auxiliary at St. Michael's. Helen chmiel knew the number of dead & the city population at the time, I don't.

Post Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Kozak View Post
    I believe the title the City holds is that it lost the most soldiers per capita than any other City in the Nation during WWII. I remember hearing that stat read during a memorial mass attended by the members of the Matthew Glad post & Ladies Auxiliary at St. Michael's. Helen chmiel knew the number of dead & the city population at the time, I don't.
    Thanx, and I just saw Mrs. Chmiel at the Matthew Glab Post yesterday looking good. She never ages. But lots are.....we need so many more young people involved in organizations such as the veterans, church groups, community-school activities, and BLOCK CLUBS! Time to learn so you can take over 40 year olds! Lots of your kids are on their way, and you might find the time now.

Low turnout at Veteran's Stadium on Sunday morning.......the City did a fine presentation and tribute to our Armed Forces and their families.
    Sad to see the spirit waning......I hope it gets better.

Subject: Vietnam Wall

Vietnam Wall

This is really sobering. Click on the link and find the city you went to high school/college or the town you lived in and look at the names.

Click on the name and it will give details of the death.

First click on a state. When it opens, scroll down to the city and the names will appear. Then click on their names. It should show you picture of the person, or at least their bio and medals.

This really is an amazing web site. Someone spent a lot of time and effort to create it.

I hope that everyone who receives this appreciates what those who served in Vietnam sacrificed for our country. The link below is a virtual wall of all those lost during the Vietnam War with the names, bio's and other information on our lost heroes.

Those who remember that time frame, or perhaps lost friends or family can look them up on this site.

Pass the link on to others, as many knew wonderful people whose names are listed.

http://www.virtualwall.org/iStates.htm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    Subject: Vietnam Wall

Vietnam Wall

This is really sobering. Click on the link and find the city you went to high school/college or the town you lived in and look at the names.

Click on the name and it will give details of the death.

First click on a state. When it opens, scroll down to the city and the names will appear. Then click on their names. It should show you picture of the person, or at least their bio and medals.

This really is an amazing web site. Someone spent a lot of time and effort to create it.

I hope that everyone who receives this appreciates what those who served in Vietnam sacrificed for our country. The link below is a virtual wall of all those lost during the Vietnam War with the names, bio's and other information on our lost heroes.

Those who remember that time frame, or perhaps lost friends or family can look them up on this site.

Pass the link on to others, as many knew wonderful people whose names are listed.

http://www.virtualwall.org/iStates.htm
    Thanks for the link. I was at the Wall a fews years ago when I went to a VA conference. It is awe inspiring! Hubby & I lost a good friend there, whose chopper went down. His body was never found. Found him on the wall, though & cried like a baby. didn't matter, though cause other visitors were crying, too! the traveling wall is inspiring, but not until you see and stand in front of the monument itself, does it really hit you!

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread Information