Thread: I went to get our pool cards for this summer

I went to get our pool cards for this summer

And was told that in addition to buying a card that we would have to pay every time we used the public pool. Now granted, it's only $1 for each pool card and $1 for each person every time you use the pool, but why not charge just a bit more for the cards and leave the usage free?

Seems to me like this method makes sense.

This way, if someone wants to go just a handful of times, they won't be paying the same as someone who's there everyday.

How is that a problem?

I posted the same question here a couple of weeks ago.

Last year my wife took our 3 kids to the pool about 5 times a week for the 8 weeks it was open.

Based on the new fee schedule - it would have cost $5 ($2 for my wife and $3 for the kids) per visit - times 5 days that would be $25/week. Over the about 8 weeks it would have cost $200 !

Not only the cost but the inconvenience of carrying around money in your swim suits.

The reality of it is - I don't think alot of Depew residents will be able to afford to swim in the pool.

Sounds like it would be better to buy yer own pool.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    Sounds like it would be better to buy yer own pool.
    We just got rid of our pool (4 ft above ground) because all the years we've lived here the village pool was free.

I just think it's a crappy nickel-and-dime way to make money. It's been free forever. Besides the blurb sent home with info about swimming lessons I haven't seen or heard anything about this new fee. It was kept very quiet.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Depew.to.you
    We just got rid of our pool (4 ft above ground) because all the years we've lived here the village pool was free.

I just think it's a crappy nickel-and-dime way to make money. It's been free forever. Besides the blurb sent home with info about swimming lessons I haven't seen or heard anything about this new fee. It was kept very quiet.
    Nothing is free. SOmeone in the end pays for this. I can't see a pool costing that much to run in a community anyways..... I don't mean like a "pepsi arena" pool center... I mean a concrete pool like they had at Henipenn Park years ago

Because Depew will be charging $2 per adult (and child over 13) it would be more cost effective for us to go over to the Lancaster Pool and swim as non-residents. Their charge for non-residents is only $1 per person irregardless of age. I'm not sure why Depew would charge more for older kids and adults - they must displace more water?

I was clicking around web sites for other local towns - and for the 'more than occasional swimmer' the Depew Pool is the most expensive to use in the area. It is even more expensive than the Southtowns YMCA!

Maybe they are discouraging use so they can close it down?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by depewfred1
    Because Depew will be charging $2 per adult (and child over 13) it would be more cost effective for us to go over to the Lancaster Pool and swim as non-residents. Their charge for non-residents is only $1 per person irregardless of age. I'm not sure why Depew would charge more for older kids and adults - they must displace more water?

I was clicking around web sites for other local towns - and for the 'more than occasional swimmer' the Depew Pool is the most expensive to use in the area. It is even more expensive than the Southtowns YMCA!

Maybe they are discouraging use so they can close it down?
    What they are doing is allowing labor contracts to go up in cost and diverting money for the "community" items. You don't want to lose your pool do ya? or lose your libraries do ya? or your parks do ya?

Where do you think the money is going that was going there in the first place. Salaries, patronage hires and benefit cost increases. It ain't gonna stop in WNY until the community puts it's foot down once and for all.

Go look at that issue about crew chiefs in lancaster. 4 crew chiefs without any crews acutally having more employees. Just another title to pay higher salaries or to fill a "favor" for some connected person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Depew.to.you
    And was told that in addition to buying a card that we would have to pay every time we used the public pool. Now granted, it's only $1 for each pool card and $1 for each person every time you use the pool, but why not charge just a bit more for the cards and leave the usage free?

Like I said before this fee crap is the new tax increase............... Oh yea, you also DO GET A TAX INCREASE I almost forgot

Their ramrods are specially made to order just for Erie County...... It's an extremely tight fit but they manage to stick to you.

Just as a Side note, I was working at town park for the 4th of July event. And the basketball courts were full with city folk. I asked a Lt. I knew what’s the deal with ppl from the city using the courts, I thought you had to be a town resident to use them with a ID Card. And she said they don't enforce the ID Cards anymore.

That’s BS If ya ask me. Wonder why Bikes are always stolen from that park.

Thread Information