Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The CDC Issue, Lancaster Bee, November 30, 2023

Timeline Item:

On Jan. 19, 2021, the sale of the music store and other lots was signed by Mayor Bill Schroeder. This parcel was up for sale to raise funds for phase one development of the Lancaster Village Center and had multiple buyers.
    While the Timeline Item references what would seem to be a singular "...sale of the music store and other lots was signed by Mayor Schroeder," the Timeline Item subsequently references "multiple buyers."

If in fact there were "multiple buyers" and possibly multiple sale agreements, should not the Timeline Item read?

"On Jan. 19, 2021, the sales of the music store and other lots were signed by Mayor Bill Schroeder"?
    I think this Timeline Item is deserving of amplified clarification. To wit:

(1) Was the subject "sale" a single, all-encompassing agreement, and if so, who was the specific party(s) to that agreement?

(2) Did the referenced Mayoral execution of January 19, 2021 involve multiple agreements, with multiple buyers, requiring Mayoral signatures, and if so, who were the parties to each and every such agreement?

Clarification please!!!
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 2nd, 2023 at 09:45 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Timeline Item:

Members and directors of the Community Development Corporation, director Lynne Ruda, and members Cyndi Maciejewski and John Mikoley...
    I do not have a copy of the CDC Bylaws, but I understand that the same were undergoing revision during the spring of 2018.

In that connection, this appears in the Minutes of the March 7, 2018 CDC session:

*By-Laws Update: Dawn R. coordinated with Art H. (Village Atty). Outdated due to prior structure of districts. John C. asked Art H. what the entire membership needs to vote on as opposed to just the board. Art H. stated that what the members and directors need to vote on has not changed. Bob D. asked what constituted a member and has the basic language needed been update. Dawn R. stated that the Mayor is both a member and director. John C. asked if the by-laws get changed by vote of members or directors. Art H. referenced article 11 regarding the members/directors question. Art stated that the by-laws were updated May of 2011. Art stated that a vote requires two-thirds of the members. He felt that someone who resigned is no longer a "member". "Vacancies are not members". He did not feel that we needed to worry about (count) vacancies.*Two-thirds of the members would be Village board (5) plus the number of directors (6).*Dawn R. made a motion to accept the revised by-laws...
    Reference: https://ecode360.com/LA0609/document/444969009.pdf

If the Dawn R.'s motion to accept the revised Bylaws was favorable actioned, why is it that only three VOL Board actors are mentioned in aforementioned Timeline Item, and therefore, should not Trustee Malone have been included in that Timeline Item?

Clarification Please!!!
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 2nd, 2023 at 10:13 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Timeline Item:

Sweeney added that some confusion seems to stem from his purchase of properties in 2018 from the CDC. He explained that the request for proposals to purchase properties on West Main Street had expired in 2017, which outlined specific requests of interested developers, including regulations on the project’s scheduling. Sweeney believes these strictures pushed developers away, with the CDC abandoning some of their regulations for developers by 2018.
    Assuming that Mr. Sweeney has been quoted accurately, his comments, taken at face value, seem to strongly suggest that at some point during or before 2017, there were others interested in developing the properties, do they not?

If there were such interested actors, who specifically were those actors?

Moreover, do not Mr. Sweeney's comments appear to suggest only his presumption, opinion, or belief that certain "strictures" tended to "push developers away"?

BTW, in my opinion, "stricture" is a rather curious term.

I understand it can mean a restriction on a person or activity, but it can also mean "a sternly critical or censorious remark or instruction."

The term "stricture" certainly deserves clarification, in my opinion.

Timeline Item:

Sweeney says that he believes a lot of the confusion within the community surrounds an investment in 2022 by Allein, another former member of the CDC and HPC, into unrelated properties in West Seneca owned by Sweeney. In any case, Allein abstained from a board vote by the HPC concerning a modification to phase two at 20 West Main St., feeling it was appropriate to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest.

I accept the explanation regarding "unrelated properties," but reader, do you not believe that their comprehensive business relationship deserves further amplification?

Also:

When exactly did Mr. Allein resign from the Historic Preservation Commission?

Does Mr. Allein still function as the VOL's Planning Commission's Liaison to the Historic Preservation Commission, because according the May 10, 2023, last available posted Minutes of the HPC suggest his presence in that capacity?

Reference: https://ecode360.com/LA0609/document/738965288.pdf

In my humble opinion, I believe Mr Sweeney truly put his heart and soul into revitalizing the Village of Lancaster business district.
    Just because certain members didn't believe he deserved an LIDA exemption on his project, they dig and dig trying to find dirt on the guy
    who truly made a difference to their community.

Georgia L Schlager

Timeline Item:

Sweeney says that he believes a lot of the confusion within the community surrounds an investment in 2022 by Allein, another former member of the CDC and HPC, into unrelated properties in West Seneca owned by Sweeney. In any case, Allein abstained from a board vote by the HPC concerning a modification to phase two at 20 West Main St., feeling it was appropriate to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest.
    To probe further on this Timeline Item, did not that investment serve to positively impact Mr. Sweeney's overall financial standing as a developer, and did so at a time when Mr. Sweeney was involved in the West Main Street project?

Is it possible that the term "fungible" may apply to that Timeline Item?

Reference: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...nterchangeable
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 2nd, 2023 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    In my humble opinion, I believe Mr Sweeney truly put his heart and soul into revitalizing the Village of Lancaster business district.
    Just because certain members didn't believe he deserved an LIDA exemption on his project, they dig and dig trying to find dirt on the guy
    Speak for myself only, my questions sincerely come from the heart and soul from a fourth generation, life-long resident of the Village of Lancaster. I can still remember the village when it was at its prime, and have been steadily saddened ever since I witnessed the heroic efforts of the first responders confronting the March, 1961 fire.

As such, to your terms "dig" and "dirt," I strongly protest, because I am just in search of answers.

With that said, members of what, and who specifically are you referring to, Gorja?

Why do you appear to have drawn some conclusions as to the motivation(s) and goals of those asking questions, and perhaps unwittingly, cast them in what may be termed a less-than honorable light, Gorja?

One should think that all concerned would be eager to answer all such questions forthrightly, eh?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 2nd, 2023 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post

Thank you for sharing, Gorja.

That said, where ‘the certain members’ you refer to have given ample examples and reasons to question whether collusion, complicity, and favoritism existed in aiding Mr. Sweeny to assemble his extensive business district holdings, the support / ability to receive two IDA’s, and New York Forward grant funding consideration, your ‘humble opinion’ is absent substance.

Like me, a town resident, what information do you possess that absolves Mr. Sweeny from any appearance of favoritism or conflict of interest?

On what grounds do you believe Sweeny deserved two IDA’s for upscale mixed-use apartment-retail complexes – saying he needed the financial assistance, yet never considered downscaling the projects to make them truly affordable and IDA free?

Sweeny is also up for New York Forward grant money – same building project he is getting IDA tax breaks for, all taxpayer funded money. Are okay with that? Good projects, but I want his hands off my pocketbook in making them happen. Biden’s hands are already there.

Sweeny comes to the IDA gets two approvals, comes back for an agreement extension on the second, the IDA tables it until March, Sweeny comes back in November and says that he didn’t need the extension. I would bet that he will be back for an extension from the LIDA.

Nothing there, right Gorja! Saint Sweeny! Good persona and presence.

Unlike the bully supervisor-elect Leary, right Gorja?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Mark B.

I did not read the Lancaster Bee report until late last night. I had posted based on your initial thread post. When I read the Bee’s report headline ‘Sweeney provides clarity on time at Community Development Corporation’ I would have responded differently...
    Lee, if the Bee's article was intended to lend clarity to the CDC issue, I think that in some ways it is wanting.

Consider this comment by Mayor Ruda:

Following the finalization of selling properties on West Main Street, Ruda says the CDC board members and directors were bouncing around a lot of ideas. “Then COVID hit,” she said, noting that the shutdown of economic activity and development stunted the CDC’s ability to move forward at that time.

The Covid shutdowns began in March, 2020.

Mayor Schroeder finalized the property sales on January 19, 2021, and Phase One of the project began in March, 2021---one year after the Covid restrictions began.

Was Mayor Ruda unaware of the pandemic until January, 2021?

I know that during the 2021 VOL election campaign, her priority issue was the environment, but good grief, the pandemic news was all over television, radio and the internet. I think the news was even in the Bee.

Also, if there was a "shutdown of economic activity and development," subsequent to the January 19, 2021 finalization, how is it that the Phase One project began in March, 2021?

WKBW took note of the related work progress in July, 2021:

West Main Street extension completed in Village of Lancaster

A project to transform West Main Street in the Village of Lancaster is now complete. The project restored the historic street grid, extending West Main Street from its current terminus to Aurora Street. The street can now accommodate two-way traffic, sidewalks, on-street parking, light poles and more. Construction is also underway on mixed-use buildings."We really want to establish our own identity, bringing these parks like amenities, the hanging baskets, the landscape. Those are things that make our community unique," Village of Lancaster Mayor Lynne Ruda, said.More than 60 years ago, the area was devastated by a fire. "It was thriving. We had women's shops. We had a drug store over here. Then next door was the furniture store that burnt," Joseph Scymanski, a lifelong Lancaster resident, said, "It was messed up for 6 or 7 years." Ruda said the area never truly recovered from that fire."As young as I remember I just knew a vacant parking lot. All I saw was a chain link fence and 4.4 acres of nothing. I always knew there was potential for our community," Ruda said.Lilly Belle Meads has operated as the sole brewery on West Main Street for four years. "People tell us when they come here they can't wait for three or four more on the street. We can't either. Just the energy on the street is just fun, after a year of no fun. Just to look forward to that in the next couple years is awesome," Joe Marshall, owner of Lilly Belle Meads, said.The owners said they can't wait for more restaurants and breweries to open on the street."I think it says we're growing. We're growing, we're expanding and doing great progressive things," Tricia Marshall, owner of Lilly Belle Meads, said.Those living in Lancaster said they are excited to not only watch the street, but the entire village grow."I hope that people come and say just wow this is incredible," Ruda said.The project has been paid for with $8.5 million from the Better Buffalo Fund, $2.5 million of which came from the Smart Growth Community Fund.
    Reference: https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...caster%2C+2021

Moreover, it appears that Mayor Ruda herself stated that Covid restrictions were actually easing during the spring of 2021:

With the easing of some COVID restrictions, the village board will be returning to in-person meetings that are open to the general public.
    Reference: https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...caster%2C+2021

Does the Bee consider this clarity?

Other Related Information:

https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...caster%2C+2021

https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...caster%2C+2021
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 3rd, 2023 at 09:56 AM.

Mark, I have located the bylaws of the CDC of VOL. Interesting reading.

Last edited by GroundControl; December 3rd, 2023 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundControl View Post
    Mark, I have located the bylaws of the CDC of VOL. Interesting reading.

I asked the VOL Board for at its substance almost three weeks ago, but have had no response. Perhaps they are searching in the caves near Qumran?

May I ask you to please share that substance on this forum, GC?

Speaking of the CDC's bylaws, I understand that the CDC's bylaws revision process referred to in post #17 under this thread was completed for the September 5, 2018 meeting.

According to the September 5, 2018 Minutes of the CDC, those revisions were adopted on that date:

By-Laws Revision: Jim A. discussed whether we would have proper numbers to vote under the current by-laws. It was determined that we would. Bill S. made a motion to approve the amended by-laws, seconded by Bob D.

Jim A. mentioned a discussion with Mike Stegmeier who questioned his position as assistant treasurer and archivist.

Mike had concern that he was not receiving all items based upon those roles.

John M. does send lease copies to Mike S.

Robert L. stated that it would make sense to get him the items received rather than revising the roles.

John C. stated that he believes this discussion is separate from the By-Laws discussion.

Jim A. stated that the question if the clause should be in there.

John C. mentioned that we would entertain the responsibilities discussion after the By-Laws discussion.

The motion passed with a unanimous vote.

There were 4 absentee votes (all via email): Dawn Robinson - Yes, Paul Maute - Yes, Lynn Ruda - Yes,

Kenneth O'Brien - Yes

1 absentee: Shannon M.
    Reference: https://ecode360.com/LA0609/document/474193791.pdf
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 3rd, 2023 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...t-corporation/
    I Am Confused As I Understand Things, So Clarification Please!

I am confused about the date of the "investment" and the exact nature of the business between Mr. Sweeney and Mr. Allein.

In the article above, Mr. Sweeney apparently stated that Mr. Allein invested in Mr. Sweeney's interests in 2022, but yesterday on another social media site, Informing the Citizens of Lancaster, apparently Mr. Allein described the nature of his business with Mr. Sweeney as a 2023 "loan."

Moreover, together with Mr. Sweeney's November 30, 2023 version related in this thread, as I understood Mr. Allein's apparent February 20, 2024 comments, he seemed to suggest three different years that the purported loan was made, 2023, 2022, and 2021.

Also, in yesterday's comments, apparently Mr. Allein seemed to suggest two different years for the property sale to Mr. Sweeney, 2018 and 2020.

I would like clarification on whether Mr. Allein "invested" in Mr. Sweeney's business interests, or in fact provided a loan to Mr. Sweeney, what year any such transaction was undertaken, and the actual year of the property sale to Mr. Sweeney.

It is no wonder why many, myself included, are confused and are compelled to ask some hard questions, eh?

Here is the link to the exchange on the post on Informing the Citizens of Lancaster:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...eric&ref=notif
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 21st, 2024 at 09:49 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information