Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk "texting"

Let's talk "texting"

Is it just me, or is every child from the age of 6 years and up equipped with a cell phone and texts???!!!!

Here is what I saw get off the bus just the other day. Kids being dropped off at the bus stop obviously going home, all of the kids had their phones out and they were texting!!

Now I remember when I was that age, we didn't have phones of course, but when we got off the bus, we ran, jumping and giggling and chatting with our friends!

Tech age has gotten out children away from verbal communication. It seems almost too quiet in the world since texting came to light.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Is it just me, or is every child from the age of 6 years and up equipped with a cell phone and texts???!!!!

Here is what I saw get off the bus just the other day. Kids being dropped off at the bus stop obviously going home, all of the kids had their phones out and they were texting!!

Now I remember when I was that age, we didn't have phones of course, but when we got off the bus, we ran, jumping and giggling and chatting with our friends!

Tech age has gotten out children away from verbal communication. It seems almost too quiet in the world since texting came to light.
    I agree! My grandkids(the two I see the most) are ALWAYS reading, texting, etc. People don't talk to each other anymore do they? My cellphone is for emergencies only and it stays OFF and in my pocket at all times.

I recently went to the Great Wolf in Canada. I witnessed a guy texting as he walked under the kid's clubhouse and actually become angered when he got wet.

It is a shame, kids as they continue to use this new age technology will in the future cause health problems.

Video games--visual and anger
    what are those things they put in their ears to listen to music?? hearing loss
    cell phones---lack of communication

The video, wii and such prevents children from playing outside. Obesity will be the number one cause for health issues, like diabetes and thyroid.

I have grave concerns for my grandchildren.

It is a shame, kids as they continue to use this new age technology will in the future cause health problems.

The video, wii and such prevents children from playing outside. Obesity will be the number one cause for health issues, like diabetes and thyroid.

One of those kids playing with all of today's technology will probably end up finding the cure for the disease that kills you, thereby saving your grandchildren form the same fate.

Ah, screw that...better if these kids grow up to be Buffalo Bills fans and spend their weekends tailgaitng and getting drunk. Then they can call the WGR whiner line before they sober up on Monday morning and leave really funny messages.

I'm a grandma and I text

Your post, almost word for word, could have been written in the 80's in reference to kids playing Atari or going to arcades with walkmans glued to their ears.

Those kids are in their 30's and 40's now.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    I'm a grandma and I text
    BUT are you doing it constantly, driving, eating, shopping? There has to be a cutoff point someplace. Good grief!

@ 300 Miles - you took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by anyones neighbor View Post
    BUT are you doing it constantly, driving, eating, shopping? There has to be a cutoff point someplace. Good grief!
    I do it as a means of communication when it is the best form of communication for the thought which needs to be communicated.

The problem is and oh 300 and nogods you pose a good perspective, in the 80's we had other things that brought about different issues.

I too am a grandma and I just bought a phone so I can be part of the pack and have enjoyed the concept of "texting." What did I discover in this new task, is that instead of calling my children (like I did before I learned texting) I found that I didn't call them as much because I was texting them. I don't know call me crazy but I prefer to hear their voice rather than looking at a screen. I like to "hear" that they are doing well. The sound of their voice can tell whether nor not things are good. What do you feel in a text?

The only good side though to texting is that I get a response quicker than when I leave a message on the answering machine. I suspect those will be a thing of the past too.

Texting can be dangerous.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg11glsBW4Y
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

@ Shortstuff a good point about missing the voice, but harken back to the supposed "good" old days when everyone complained that no one was writing letters any more because all they had to do was pick up a phone and call, every generation gets their new technology and runs with it

Quote Originally Posted by hyz View Post
    @ Shortstuff a good point about missing the voice, but harken back to the supposed "good" old days when everyone complained that no one was writing letters any more because all they had to do was pick up a phone and call, every generation gets their new technology and runs with it
    I was wondering when someone was going to mention this. Apparently even the older generation has forgotten that once upon a time, not that long ago really, there was no such thing as a telephone. The only way to communicate with someone any distance was by letter.
    Meow, baby

How many research centers are working on "thumb replacements" that will happen in 20 years??????????
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information