Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Letter To The Village Of Lancaster Board

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I threw his name out there because he was very reputable citizen of Lancaster.
    Since I am sure he remains a "very reputable citizen", your use of the word "was" suggests that he may have changed his residence. Is that just a typo Gorja?
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Since I am sure he remains a "very reputable citizen", your use of the word "was" suggests that he may have changed his residence. Is that just a typo Gorja?
    The use of the word 'was' was due to the timing of my posting of usinghis name for a write-in. Att he present time, there is no election to write-in his name.
    You and he are still reputable

Georgia L Schlager

My letter of November 13, 2023 did not speak to the website issue, so what's your point?

I only asked two questions, Ms. Gorja, and did not assert anything:

Newspapers also make public observations and raise issues Gorja, do they not?

Even though Rinow asked some questions similar to those in my letter, I know for a fact that I did not mention Rinow's comments in my letter of November 13. So, why are you attempting to link, perhaps fuse, Mr. Rinow's comments of November 13 to my letter?

Ponder this old friend, since the website issue to which I referred in post #25 tangentially involved the broader CDC issue, perhaps the website update was in some way a reaction to a public conversation that may have started in response to the Bee article of October 26, eh?
    I know you didn't reference Rinow in your letter. You just made it sound like to me that you thought the minutes were provided because of the recent board meeting commenter, newspaper publication and your posing questions to the clerk.

That was just my interpretation of your post regarding the CDC minutes being on the site at the present time

Georgia L Schlager

The use of the word 'was' was due to the timing of my posting of usinghis name for a write-in. Att he present time, there is no election to write-in his name.
    You and he are still reputable
    Differences aside, as are you.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

I know you didn't reference Rinow in your letter. You just made it sound like to me that you thought the minutes were provided because of the recent board meeting commenter, newspaper publication and your posing questions to the clerk.

That was just my interpretation of your post regarding the CDC minutes being on the site at the present time
    Gorja,

My words on post #25 suggest, generalized and non-specific, clearly suggest a more broader commentary, not one(s) strictly confined to the boundaries Speak Up, or to the regulated limits of public meetings.

As I have written, there is a sluggish, but some active, newspaper which has done some reporting.

Furthermore, as you well know, I live in the village and have talked with my neighbors, friends and business people operating businesses in the village. Based on my acquired knowledge, many of those very same people are troubled, concerned, and at the very least, curious, about a great deal that is occurring in the VOL in general, and in its downtown business district in particular. I am sure their opinions circulate to many, and the power-that-be are most probably aware of their views and concerns.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 18th, 2023 at 03:51 PM.

Some Things don’t add up

I was looking at the Linked In Page for Jim Allein who just resigned from the Lancaster CDC board along with Tom Sweeney, the developer involved in Mayor Ruda’s West Main St Project. It lists Mr Allein as the Executive Director of the CDC since 2015 until just recently. But it also lists him as President of the Lancaster Opera House board 2010- presently still there. Also member/chair of the Lancaster Village Planning Committee 2009- presently sitting. Also Liaison/Ad Hoc member Lancaster Village Historic Preservation Is this the same Jim Allein who invested 50,000$ in Tom Sweeney’s business venture in the Village of Lancaster while Mayor Ruda was a Senior Director of the CDC?

Quote Originally Posted by GroundControl View Post
    I was looking at the Linked In Page for Jim Allein who just resigned from the Lancaster CDC board along with Tom Sweeney, the developer involved in Mayor Ruda’s West Main St Project. It lists Mr Allein as the Executive Director of the CDC since 2015 until just recently. But it also lists him as President of the Lancaster Opera House board 2010- presently still there. Also member/chair of the Lancaster Village Planning Committee 2009- presently sitting. Also Liaison/Ad Hoc member Lancaster Village Historic Preservation Is this the same Jim Allein who invested 50,000$ in Tom Sweeney’s business venture in the Village of Lancaster while Mayor Ruda was a Senior Director of the CDC?
    The best way to foster public confidence in the integrity of the entire West Main development process, is full public disclosure, especially in the area of the competition process.

Mark Blazejewski
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Lancaster, New York 14086

November 13, 2023

The Honorable Mayor and Members of the Board of Trustees
    Village of Lancaster
    Municipal Building
    Lancaster, New York 14086

Dear Madame Mayor and Honorable Trustees,

This is written in connection with concerns held by some village residents, small business owners, members of my family, and myself resulting from recently published reports which raised questions involving possible ethical issues regarding the relationship between the Lancaster Village Board and the Lancaster Community Development Corporation.

In that regard, I am requesting a very timely response to the following questions:

(1) Does the Village Board have any oversight responsibilities over the Community Development Corporation?

(2) According to a news story published in the Lancaster Bee in its October 26, 2023 edition, a Village Trustee resigned over issues relating to the CDC.

In that connection, consistent with the Board's relationship, ex-officio or otherwise, with the CDC, I am requesting a true and complete list of the names of the Secretary, Treasurer, and the Executive Director of the CDC at the time of the Trustee's resignation?

(3) It is my understanding that the Mayor, in her previous capacity as Trustee, purportedly termed an appointment to the CDC a "potential conflict of interest". I further understand that Trustee Ruda subsequently supported that exact same appointment.

In that regard, without intending to suggest any wrong doing whatsoever, will the Board please advise me what actor, if any, publicly advised, or strongly suggested, that the CDC appointment referred to herein, raised no a "conflict of interest" issue?

(4) I am given to understand that purportedly, the exact same CDC appointee referenced in three (3) above, now serves as a Member of the Village Historic Preservation Commission.

Will the Board enlighten me if there were any "conflict of interest" concerns expressed in non-privileged venues over that specific Village Historic Preservation Commission appointment?

(5) Will the Board convey to me any regulation or similar prescription, by whatever term known, specified in the CDC's Bylaws, that governs the operations of the Community Development Corporation?

(6) Will the Board kindly assert that the CDC has, for the last three years, faithfully complied with all of the New York State time mandates regarding the filing of New York State financial reports, and if so, what member of the CDC made those filings?

(7) Will the Board provide the names of each and every Director(s), if any, who resigned from the CDC during the time period commencing on April 1, 2021-November 14, 2023.

(8) Will the Board relate the names of each and every member of the Village of Lancaster Board, individuals who regularly publicly meet with, or serve, the Board in an official capacity, and each and every CDC Director, who may have publicly suggested the dissolution of the CDC?

(9) Will the Board provide me with the names of each and every member of the CDC that sits on the Village of Lancaster New York Forward Committee?

(10) Will the Board kindly provide me with the names of each and every member of the CDC who may have a personal business interest in the allocation of New York Forward funds?

Kindly respond to me by return email.

Yours very truly,

Mark Blazejewski
    Two weeks and no reply has yet been received.

So much for transparency and responsiveness, eh?

Under the caption "Letter of November 13, 2023," this was sent to the Village of Lancaster Clerk-Treasurer this morning:

I understand that my letter to the Village of Lancaster Board was labeled "received and filed" during its November 27, 2023 public meeting.

My questions contained in that letter were not intended to be rhetorical. As such, when may I expect a written response from the Board?
    BTW,

At last night's Board session, I understand that a public commenter asked the Board to consider live streaming the twice-monthly meetings.

AMEN!!!
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 28th, 2023 at 08:43 AM.

Mark, why is the VOL board meeting room not equipped with live video capabilities? Almost all towns and villages in Erie County have already moved into the 21st century!
    Gosh, think of what's being missed by most of the village citizens. All residents should be concerned. Almost everyone has a cell, a computer or even a TV to view a live stream of a local board meeting

Quote Originally Posted by GroundControl View Post
    Mark, why is the VOL board meeting room not equipped with live video capabilities? Almost all towns and villages in Erie County have already moved into the 21st century!
    Gosh, think of what's being missed by most of the village citizens. All residents should be concerned. Almost everyone has a cell, a computer or even a TV to view a live stream of a local board meeting
    Mayor Ruda has been in office for almost seven years. She has served four years as Trustee and two and a half years as Mayor.

In that connection, why is it that it appears to many that her rather blatant public advocacy for a private developer has exceeded her publicly-expressed passions for the rights of the taxpayers and residents of the village that she leads?

I ask the reader to especially consider that the village is home to many who face the challenges of aging and physical limitations.

In that regard, it is my opinion that a decision to move forward with live streaming would serve to accommodate their desires to become more fully engaged in the workings of their government.

Would not such a modification tend to make the VOL a more whole and inclusive community?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 28th, 2023 at 11:12 AM.

Under the caption "Letter of November 13, 2023," this was sent to the Village of Lancaster Clerk-Treasurer this morning:

BTW,

At last night's Board session, I understand that a public commenter asked the Board to consider live streaming the twice-monthly meetings.

AMEN!!!
    I have just received this response from the VOL Clerk-Treasurer:

Mike Stegmeier
    10:35 AM (44 minutes ago)
    to me

Dear Mr. Blazejewski –

I have forwarded your inquiry to the Village Board. I will let you know when I hear back regarding the timeline for a response to your questions.

Regards,

Michael E. Stegmeier, CMC

Clerk & Treasurer

Village of Lancaster

5423 Broadway

Lancaster, NY 14086

(716) 683-2105 ext. 203

(716) 684-4830 (fax)

It appears that the choice for full responsive transparency rests entirely with the Village of Lancaster Board, eh?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 28th, 2023 at 12:37 PM.

The Town of Lancaster and the Village of Depew have been successfully livestreaming their meetings for near two years. The Town of Lancaster livestreaming its Town Board, Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, and Lancaster Industrial Development Agency (LIDA) meetings

The intent / purpose of setting up livestreaming was to avail access to the public unable to personally attend the meetings, allow for openness and transparency, provide a visual record and archive that record. What you see is what you get, not someone’s written version of the minutes.

The Village of Lancaster (VOL) has been remiss in entering the digitized 21st century. It was nice to hear that a VOL Trustee stated last night that the Village is working on making it happen.

After hearing about the last several contentious meetings and content, it is understandable why the VOL would not want their meetings aired and archived.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

After hearing about the last several contentious meetings and content, it is understandable why the VOL would not want their meetings aired and archived.
    As I Understand The November 27, 2023 VOL Board Meeting:

I was not in attendance at last night's meeting, but I have heard that Mayor Ruda was perhaps a bit heavy-handed in observing what might be termed "acceptable protocols" from public commenters.

My Opinion:

As I recall, LIDA Member Ruda herself held a more casual, perhaps even more aggressive, attitude regarding such protocols during a meeting this past spring. I guess her conduct can flexibly conform to a perceived role in such settings, eh?

From my March 21, 2023 letter to LIDA:

Regarding the conduct of a member present at the March 14, 2023 meeting, I was, and remain, very troubled by what appeared to have been an untoward attempt to smear a fellow member of the LIDA with comments suggesting its engagement in forms of discriminatory bias...

Simply stated, it is my opinion that the LIDA simply is not the proper venue to convey hostile moral judgements which may arise from the toxic political world of trending social issues.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 28th, 2023 at 05:32 PM.

The mail has arrived on this last business day of 2023, and still no promised "timeline" for response, or actual response.

What happened to Mayor Ruda's and the Deputy Mayor's promise of "Open Government"?

I wonder if any of the current VOL Board actors intend on running on a platform of "transparency" or "responsiveness" in the future?

Click attachment to enlarge:

Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 29th, 2023 at 01:31 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information