Thread: Safe Aviation Coalition of Lancaster responds to Buffalo-Lancaster Airport flight pat

Safe Aviation Coalition of Lancaster responds to Buffalo-Lancaster Airport flight pat

http://www.speakupwny.com/article_4473.shtml

“Don’t believe everything you see on the Internet and the newspaper,” said Supervisor Giza at Monday evening's Town Board work session. “I told everyone that when we tweak the budget for last meeting it was for 2010. On the Internet it was for 2011. That is not the case. Things are screwed up enough around here and miscalculations and misquotes and everything… I know a lot of things and some other people have the same information I do. Maybe I have a tendency not to give you the information.”

“Also something was said about the noise ordinance at the airport. It never came up. I can’t give you something I don’t have. This is what I am trying to get at. I attended a meeting at Buffalo Airport (Buffalo-Niagara International Airport – BNIA). I was asked to be on their Master Plan Committee. While I was there, I asked Rocky who is from Lancaster, and who I know, if there was something going on with the Buffalo-Lancaster Airport (B-LA). He said there was. They were trying to figure out a way that Lancaster airplanes could go through their airspace. And I guess I was kind of shocked because I thought the airport thing was to get them out of the B-NIA airspace. But, there was nothing ever mentioned about a noise ordinance at the B-LA) airport.”

“We talked about the possibility that Tom Geles (B-LA owner) told me about, about the airplanes going through the airspace. So how this comes by, I don’t know. All I had at the last meeting was a big book with information (B-NIA Master Plan). I don’t want people to think I am keeping back information. If I have something to share with you I will gladly do that.”

“I wish that people that didn’t really understand what’s going on would call me or at least talk to someone with knowledge before you put this stuff on the Internet or into the newspapers. It does a disservice to the whole board and the community in getting misinformation.”

Misinformation indeed. At the work session when Mr. Cavanaugh addressed the Town Board on the proposal for a flight pattern change at the Lancaster Airport, Supervisor Giza stated prior to his presentation that “we think we might have come up with a solution for the airport (B-LA).”

During his presentation Mr. Cavanaugh stated that the Lancaster Air port has been looking at ways to mitigate the noise issues. He later stated, “This will take them away from the area that has been noise sensitive.”

At that meeting Supervisor Giza spoke later on and said that as being a member of the 60 something committee reviewing the B-NIA master plan he wanted to “jump into this to get a feel of what airplanes are doing in the area so that we can come across a solution that will hopefully work out for everybody.”

No one mentioned anything about a “noise ordinance” at the airport. It was all about a proposal put forth by the Lancaster airport to change the flight pattern to abate noise issues and to divert air traffic from some homes now being impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    http://www.speakupwny.com/article_4473.shtml

“Don’t believe everything you see on the Internet and the newspaper,” said Supervisor Giza at Monday evening's Town Board work session. “I told everyone that when we tweak the budget for last meeting it was for 2010. On the Internet it was for 2011. That is not the case. Things are screwed up enough around here and miscalculations and misquotes and everything… I know a lot of things and some other people have the same information I do. Maybe I have a tendency not to give you the information.”

“Also something was said about the noise ordinance at the airport. It never came up. I can’t give you something I don’t have. This is what I am trying to get at. I attended a meeting at Buffalo Airport (Buffalo-Niagara International Airport – BNIA). I was asked to be on their Master Plan Committee. While I was there, I asked Rocky who is from Lancaster, and who I know, if there was something going on with the Buffalo-Lancaster Airport (B-LA). He said there was. They were trying to figure out a way that Lancaster airplanes could go through their airspace. And I guess I was kind of shocked because I thought the airport thing was to get them out of the B-NIA airspace. But, there was nothing ever mentioned about a noise ordinance at the B-LA) airport.”

“We talked about the possibility that Tom Geles (B-LA owner) told me about, about the airplanes going through the airspace. So how this comes by, I don’t know. All I had at the last meeting was a big book with information (B-NIA Master Plan). I don’t want people to think I am keeping back information. If I have something to share with you I will gladly do that.”

“I wish that people that didn’t really understand what’s going on would call me or at least talk to someone with knowledge before you put this stuff on the Internet or into the newspapers. It does a disservice to the whole board and the community in getting misinformation.”

Misinformation indeed. At the work session when Mr. Cavanaugh addressed the Town Board on the proposal for a flight pattern change at the Lancaster Airport, Supervisor Giza stated prior to his presentation that “we think we might have come up with a solution for the airport (B-LA).”

During his presentation Mr. Cavanaugh stated that the Lancaster Air port has been looking at ways to mitigate the noise issues. He later stated, “This will take them away from the area that has been noise sensitive.”

At that meeting Supervisor Giza spoke later on and said that as being a member of the 60 something committee reviewing the B-NIA master plan he wanted to “jump into this to get a feel of what airplanes are doing in the area so that we can come across a solution that will hopefully work out for everybody.”

No one mentioned anything about a “noise ordinance” at the airport. It was all about a proposal put forth by the Lancaster airport to change the flight pattern to abate noise issues and to divert air traffic from some homes now being impacted.
    Well Lee, I feel that contraditions are all over the place here. I read your editorials, I read the Source (editor Jennifer) and I know that the message commentary is per- batum by what is recorded. So if you and Jennifer recorded the information and then put it in print, then why is Mr. Giza saying what he is stating about miscalculations and miss quotes? These are words right from his mouth according to what was recorded.

It states "noise abatement" in your editorial and the Source, where does he get "noise ordinance" from?

It sounds like Monday night town board meeting affected Mr. Giza emotionally because none of what he is stating makes sense.

Or is he uncomfortable because something is so unclear or that maybe something is about to happen and he is worried???

Town residents need to focus on the issues

1.. 25% conforming use
    a. the flight schools have violated that
    b. the house that is rented violated the use
    c. all of the buildings beyond the 25%

2. Flight paths
    a. is it over noise sensitive areas, you betch ya
    b. did they change the flight path, you betch ya

Good editorial Lee, now we have to see where this goes.

How are the planes flying lately? It has been pretty active. I wonder if that is the new flight school or Bob Miller?

Originally posted by shortstuff:
    I think that I have re-read every post and no where was "noise ordinance" mentioned.

The only noise ordinance that I am aware of is the one that prevents me from mowing my lawn before 7:00 am and forces me to shovel snow at times that I could be using the snowblower.

It sounds like the man has a guilty conscience about something.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I think that I have re-read every post and no where was "noise ordinance" mentioned.

The only noise ordinance that I am aware of is the one that prevents me from mowing my lawn before 7:00 am and forces me to shovel snow at times that I could be using the snowblower.

It sounds like the man has a guilty conscience about something.
    I am with you on that one, I have read every one of Lee's postings, which by the way is done from a recorder, and no where was it mentioned "noise ordinance."

Yeah, like lights out by 11:00!

I found the Lancaster Bee editorial this week to be of great interest for several reasons.

Although I am a staunch supporter of LVAC, the Bee is spot on to say the town should look to have a bidding process to determine who the best provider of services will be at the lowest cost. But here we are talking on saving lives and addressing emergencies where the primary criteria should be more on response time and quality of care than the $35,000 cost being bandied about. Art the same time LVAC has yet to make know their response time compliance and this seems to be a sticking point in the negotiations.

The Bee goes on to say that the discord and rumors are reckless and distract from the real issue and that who better could determine which company is deserving that the people of Lancaster; that there should be a public hearing on the matter. Both parties could provide the facts for their operation and residents can bring up their concerns.

This brought a chuckle from me especially after hearing Supervisor say at the recent work session meeting that as long as the Town Board is in place they will not be threatened or intimidated by an individual or group, that they will call the shots; as they were voted into office.

Public hearings are a great avenue for the public to express their opinions and have a say in the way their government operates. Unfortunately in Lancaster only a few of the gadfly regulars attend. As there is no public outcry the board pretty much does as it pleases. In short, but a few residents seem to give a **** on how their money is spent, how their quality of life is negatively impacted, etc. so the staus quo continues.

There was a public hearing on the budget, a budget where every town employee received a salary increase, pays nothing for health insurance, and where town employees pay only 3% of their salary for the first 10 full years of employment. The police pay nothing toward their pension plan. Who attended and spoke on the budget, less than a handful of residents.

Would that the residents had a public hearing on the purchase of the Walden Avenue police building and the cost/design for the renovations; the resolution approvals for the Lancaster Airport expansion project; the Town Hall project and other projects that cost well over $1 million dollars. But here we should have a call from the Bee for transparency and a public hearing on a $35,000 project. Why here?

Would that there be a public hearing on union contract negotiations. Why should the board much care about such matters when they approve themselves the same salary increases and benefits as given to town employees.

With but little attendance at town board meetings and without public outcry politicians figure the public doesn't give a ****, and they are spot on!

Then again, don’t believe everything you read on the Internet or in the newspaper!

Thread Information