Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenmore Police New Technology, what's your opinion?

Kenmore Police New Technology, what's your opinion?

If you have seen the Kenmore Record Advertiser, you may have seen the article.

Kenmore Police now has a new tool mounted to one of its vehicles. It's called the MPH-900. This device according to the KRA, can read 300 license plates per minute. It will then scan a database that is updated daily for stolen cars, suspended licenses and suspended registrations.

Great, just what the Supertroopers Need. It's bad enough they are getting overzealous and pulling over people well into the city limits to make revenue for the village, but a tool like this? Does Kenmore really warrant it? I know speeding is considered a major crime by the KPD, but why not waste some taxpayer money on sensible things, like consolidation with the Town!

I really think police/troopers hate us. i really think they are so engrossed with their contract with the municipalities that they are similiar in mind-set with politicians. it's aLL about what's in it for them. they work with the system and they WORK the system. NY is so F'd up.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    I really think police/troopers hate us. i really think they are so engrossed with their contract with the municipalities that they are similiar in mind-set with politicians. it's aLL about what's in it for them. they work with the system and they WORK the system. NY is so F'd up.
    Could you please expand a bit further as to exactly why you feel this way.

I'll gladly support a tax increase for the installation a plate scanner on every corner, and red light camera on every block. The only people who fear these devices are savages, deadbeat dads, lousy drivers, and liberals. What's wrong with holding uninsured drivers and fathers who refuse to pay child support accountable? I'd like to see how those liberals feel when their family is struck by a driver with no insurance.

For those complaining about Kenmore, don't knock it till you've lived there. Kenmore is the last line of defense for the fragile outer-ring suburbs. Once the savages from the city penetrate Kenmore, the Northern burbs will spiral down the toilet. Sure, it's already happening, but the KPD has been aggressive in keeping the savages at bay.

I consider myself pretty liberal and I have *no* problem with redlight cameras and license plate scanners. The lawyers will probably be able to spring their clients on some technicality (at least those that can pay). I got pulled over by a Kenmore cop more than a few weeks ago, for running a light. I drive the speed limit *and* I obey all the traffic laws, I was already in the intersection. Anyhow, the point is after he tore off his sheet to hand me the ticket, it had on the bottom, a URL for used sporting equipment. Maybe they were trying to bust illicit trade in sporting goods?? Anyhow, I don't begrudge it, everyone's got to make a living somehow. Better this than McDonalds I suppose.

Regards.

One could argue that the savages are the ones already in the first ring suburbs...

Quote Originally Posted by mary
    If you have seen the Kenmore Record Advertiser, you may have seen the article.

Kenmore Police now has a new tool mounted to one of its vehicles. It's called the MPH-900. This device according to the KRA, can read 300 license plates per minute. It will then scan a database that is updated daily for stolen cars, suspended licenses and suspended registrations.
    Kenmore NY sucks so do the 80 cops who work there. Say hi to Goober

Who in their right mind is upset by a license plate scanner that can detect stolen vehicles? It's not an invasion of your privacy because the cops already check license plate numbers and look for matches to their hot sheets.

If you don't like it then don't drive a stolen car and don't drive in Kenmore. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaneysGotaGun
    I'll gladly support a tax increase for the installation a plate scanner on every corner, and red light camera on every block. The only people who fear these devices are savages, deadbeat dads, lousy drivers, and liberals. What's wrong with holding uninsured drivers and fathers who refuse to pay child support accountable? I'd like to see how those liberals feel when their family is struck by a driver with no insurance.

For those complaining about Kenmore, don't knock it till you've lived there. Kenmore is the last line of defense for the fragile outer-ring suburbs. Once the savages from the city penetrate Kenmore, the Northern burbs will spiral down the toilet. Sure, it's already happening, but the KPD has been aggressive in keeping the savages at bay.
    Kenmore's Police force is a goddamn joke! Nothing like sending 3 cars on a simple VNT stop. Yeah, nothing like paying salaries for 27 officers, including dispatchers and detectives for the 1 square mile of Walgreens!
    And your reference to the"savages from the city", Kenmore's got plenty of scumbags too. What about the kids of Kenmore West, many whom are engrossed in the hip hop culture. Those are your white kids Kenmore driving around the burbs with the bass bumping, not mine.
    The KPD is not aggressive, they hand out motor vehicle tickets, that's it.
    The Canisius College Public Safety Department is more aggressive!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What do you mean the 1 square mile.. Isn't Kenmore larger than that?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    No, that's really about it!

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Maybe 2 square miles.
    Here's the map from Village of Kenmore's website.
    http://www.vi.kenmore.ny.us/map.html

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloEMT14216
    Kenmore's Police force is a goddamn joke! Nothing like sending 3 cars on a simple VNT stop. Yeah, nothing like paying salaries for 27 officers, including dispatchers and detectives for the 1 square mile of Walgreens!
    And your reference to the"savages from the city", Kenmore's got plenty of scumbags too. What about the kids of Kenmore West, many whom are engrossed in the hip hop culture. Those are your white kids Kenmore driving around the burbs with the bass bumping, not mine.
    The KPD is not aggressive, they hand out motor vehicle tickets, that's it.
    The Canisius College Public Safety Department is more aggressive!
    I worked in that Hell hole town for two years.If the missiles ever do start flying I hope Kenmore is the bulls eye.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why do they have a police department for only like 2 square miles? How many residents foot the bill for that department?

Info from http://www.vi.kenmore.ny.us/info.html

The Village of Kenmore, New York was incorporated in 1899. The Village is situated just north of Buffalo, New York with the Town of Tonawanda surrounding it on all other sides. The Village is approximately 1.2 square miles and has a population of approximately 16,500.

http://www.vi.kenmore.ny.us/police.html
    Currently, the Kenmore Police Department has 25 police officers.
    -----
    Excerpt from the Ken-Ton Record Advertiser pg 12 May 11th 2007 issue - Daniel Pye reporter

"The Cameras and computers cost about $20,000 and were funded through a Department of Criminal Justice Grant."

----
    Why Kenmore? This is a town that I know many people will not drive through if they can avoid it at any cost. I think this will just make it worse.

I can think of other places that are hurting for money that could have used this equipment...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information