Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011

Question them enough where they get sick of it and do something irrational like some relative of yours has a tendency to do. Maybe then the public will see them for who they really are. Furthermore why hammer someone who has no interest in personal gain but in the interest of the citizens? How about asking someone why they are adding the police captain's position back into the city budget after he voted no for it? Maybe because his son in law is heir apparent and he won't look good doing it if/when he's mayor? Let him answer that one. How do we go from "fiscal crisis" because were a "small city with limited resources"to no crisis? Who really is for the citizens here? Why is it always about them? Maybe they can answer that?
    Last edited by mnb811; January 9th, 2011 at 04:00 PM.

I agree. It is a shame as well as family doing the summer lunch program when other city food business people would love a chance at the brass ring...why can't that be rotated and open to others?

Now I know for a fact that question was asked and NO ANSWER was given. Yep, only silence!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No idea why it can't be done. But this city always has been about me,myself and I rather than the common good.

Yesterday as I was sipping my coffee and talking to a friend of mine, the subject of helping/cleaning Lackawanna came up. My friend had said the only way to clean it up is to "start with a bulldozer and serve all politicians an eviction notice"! That would be a start he said. Just thought I would share how others are seeing Lackawanna. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by cath829 View Post
    Yesterday as I was sipping my coffee and talking to a friend of mine, the subject of helping/cleaning Lackawanna came up. My friend had said the only way to clean it up is to "start with a bulldozer and serve all politicians an eviction notice"! That would be a start he said. Just thought I would share how others are seeing Lackawanna. Sad but true.
    Well, the only way, (as I see it is), is for the PEOPLE to put their votes where their concerns are. The power is in the votes as they are elected to the position. People need to be informed, come out to vote and NOT BE BOUGHT for any reason!

That is where the problem lies....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

People need to be informed in Lackawanna. Plain and simple. The Front page isn't going to do it. Maybe under their new owner they will but I doubt it. John Q.Public does not know the "REAL" stories of city hall and the school system and that's a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    John Q.Public does not know the "REAL" stories of city hall and the school system and that's a damn shame.
    Not sure that I agree with you on this one. Parents know the school system doesn't make the grade. That is why they send their children to private and charter schools IF THEY CAN AFFORD TO. Many others are financially not able to make another choice and that is why they have to put up with what we offer. There's way too many parents over the years who have been disappointed with the school system and have been simply helpless to do anything about it.

The students who do well, get good grades etc. follow the trail and see how many have finished a 4 year college....NOT ENOUGH. You would be shocked to see how what Lackawanna considers "star quality" can't stand up in college against their peers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I believe you. Parents know the district is horrible but they don't know the who,what and why's of why it is so. The same goes for the city no one knows anything until well after the fact.

Post So So True!

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    I believe you. Parents know the district is horrible but they don't know the who,what and why's of why it is so. The same goes for the city no one knows anything until well after the fact.

My/Our battle cry for decades! It is too bad the "family and friends club" has long,long tentecles that reach all the rest of the people dangling on the hope of getting "in" too some day. I asked a high up years ago why the club can force/use some of their members to do their dirty work, (ie. have me falsely arrested 2x without reading me my Miranda Rights, no Finger Prints or Mug Shut either), in order to defame my reputation and force me out of office. They said because many are promised promotions so they are kept chomping at the bit to get at a bigger paycheck, etc. They all use each other and have "the goods" on each other so the corruption continues to be a vicious cycle.
    The average Citizen is so overwhelmed at the National and State news that OUR local poli-tricks just adds further disgust on their opinion of "you can't fight City Hall and win" attitude.

Well, I/We did, and history does repeat itself as we all know. Good will beat out evil---it is just a matter of time. People are in tune now more than ever to the chaos all around us, so I believe without a doubt that the "Silent Majority" will soon be voting and thereby taking control of OUR City of "Lack"awanna.

I Believe, and Walk by Faith--Not by Sight!

Post Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration.....?

Where do we go in Lackawanna for the MLK tribute?

Event honors King's commitment to serviceBy Brian Meyer

NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Published:
    January 14, 2011, 2:11 PM

"They gave free blood pressure screenings and handed out toothbrushes.

They offered tips for improving health and passed out information about nonprofit groups that work to help improve quality of life in the region.
    A college student read a poem that urged people to serve their communities.

More than 100 individuals jammed into the lobby of City Hall this afternoon to share the spirit of Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy -- a legacy that focused on transforming society through service.
    Dozens of new members of Buffalo AmeriCorps were sworn in during today's ceremony. Mayor Byron W. Brown also presented awards to some residents, organizations and businesses that have helped to serve Buffalo in various ways. Some individuals have been active in providing services to young people and senior citizens.

Aitina Cooke, who intends to pursue a graduate degree at Buffalo State College, was honored for a poem she wrote. Cooke read her work to an appreciative crowd.

"Service is contagious," she said. "It's motivating. It's loving. It's thinking outside the box and creating ideas that will touch the lives of everyone."

Too many people incorrectly assume that someone has be to "great" to serve their communities, she added.

Monday is being recognized across the nation as a Day of Service in honor of the slain civil rights leader.

Brown is encouraging residents to perform 100 hours of volunteer and service hours in the coming year to help "tackle the toughest problems facing our city -- from homelessness to crime.""

For more information on the Day of Service, contact the city's Call and Resolution line at 311 or 851-4890. People can also visit http://mlkday.gov and access information about local programs by typing in zip codes.

bmeyer@buffnews.com

GREAT DAY today...the city of Lackawanna should be very proud that Father Nelson Baker is one BIG step closer to be declared a saint!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And when Father Baker becomes a saint and Lackawanna gets on the map as a big deal tourist attraction...then what? What does Lackawanna have to offer visitors and guests?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

Hopefully the bus loads will stop somewhere to eat, shop at the OLV gift shop and of course, visit the Christmas Store.

I know, I know...there are not too many places to eat and hardly any in town to shop at where they can spend some money and boost the economy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't even have a bank across the street anymore. City needs improvement big time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information