Thread: Teachers are under-appreciated and under paid

Teachers are under-appreciated and under paid

While the Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) and the Lancaster Central Teachers Association (LCTA) await news from fact-finder (arbitrator) Howard Foster on his recommendation for reaching compromise on a union contract settlement that was due in June 2009, a Lancaster teacher addressed the Board of Education (BOE) last night on her belief that teachers were under-appreciated and under-valued.

Prior to LCSD Superintendent Edward Myszka announcing that fact-finder Howard Foster should be making an announcement sometime later this week, teacher Angeline Pappas made the following comments.

Pappas presentation

I want to express my feelings about a recent article I read in the Buffalo News. The article upset me and gave me cause for concerns. It stated that the United States is in great need of top-notch teachers, particularly in the field of science. It states that our economic well-being is dependent on these teachers. There is no substitute for a gifted teacher who knows and loves his or her subjects.

However, it goes on to say: “Ironically, the economy which we must strive to excel increasingly, all the way through blackboards, the very people we need to prepare and inspire our students, these people can get higher paying jobs in industry that confers more respect and prestige.”

I found this to be humiliating and insulting because I am considered to be in one of those fields that does not confer much respect or prestige. In fact, the article tells us that bright college students interested in math and science don’t even consider a career in teaching. It points out that we need to make the profession more attractive. After all, in the private sector that’s how you get and keep the people you need. So basically the mentality seems to be that we need excellent teachers, dedicated teachers.

Oh, we don’t want to pay them; they are not worth that much. I consider myself to be a teacher who knows what I teach and that I can inspire and prepare my students. I truly have a passion for what I do. Unfortunately, it is disheartening and hurtful to me that I too often feel that I am unappreciated and under-valued. Why would you want your teachers to feel that way? Thank you.

Resident comments

At the closing public comment session, resident Mike Sage spoke on the comments made by an individual at the previous meeting on behalf of some of the taxpayers. “I understand his position that the cost of living adjustment has not gone up (Social Security) for two years and that taxes have obviously gone up. But, that being said, I want to make it clear that’s not the feeling of all taxpayers. Myself, I want to see as much of my taxes go to education as possible.”

Sage went on to say that if possible he would like to see a federal and state government gradient system in place where more money went to education. And he declared “many taxpayers feel that way.”

Sage was asked by a BOE member if it was his belief that the majority of residents feel as he does and that they want to pay more in school taxes. He responded that he would not dare say that he was part of the majority that would like to see taxes increase, but I think a lot of people want their taxes to go to education, and it’s what you (BOE) does next year that forces the hand of other governments who would change their tactics.”

Comments

First off, I don’t seriously don’t know any Lancaster resident that does not value or appreciate their teachers for their efforts and commitment. That said, I do know we live in difficult economic times where many taxpayers have not received salary increases of 3.95% (scheduled in the school budget) and pay much more than the 9% paid into an insurance premium that does not provide such generous health/dental/vision coverage.

So until the public hears what the Fact-Finder’s recommendations are regarding the LCSD and LCTA union contract negotiations, many have to assume the 3.95% wage increase is more than fair, especially if other concessions are not had.

Next, it is hard to understand Mr. Sage’s comments as to intent. Is his primary concern here to pay whatever it takes to maintain quality education or was he acting on behalf of the teachers union supporting their contract demand? It is not unreasonable for the LCTA to ask for the sun and the stars. It is equally not unreasonable for taxpayers to say enough is enough; we can’t or shouldn’t have to pay more.

As a taxpayer who supported maintaining ninth period at the recent budget hearings, one that kept the kids educational opportunities in mind and saved over 20 teacher jobs, I find a 3.95% wage increase more than generous at this time. I was the individual who Mr. Sage referred as one who did not get a Social Security adjustment.

Mr. Sage failed to add that my comments also included individuals who have lost jobs, have not received wage increases in years, have had their wages reduced and/or do not have the pension plans and health care programs that they are obligated to pay for.

Taxpayers have every right to ask the BOE to keep their best interests in mind as well as that of the school district staff. The town recently took heat for the 2.75-3% wage increases town employees received. If teachers are not satisfied with the 3.95% wage increase that was scheduled in the budget, what do they want? Well, we shall soon find out.

And, if the BOE grants more than a 3.95% wage increase where will the funding come from? Oh yeah, reserves - taxpayer money.

Perhaps Mr. Sage and his ilk could send in a check to the school district to help matters out.

In other words, the current teachers are the slugs who couldn't get the higher paying jobs.

OK, fire them, increase the pay, and then only hirer the best and brightest.

And it is time to eliminate tenure for performance. We can keep it for politics so that teachers can't be fired because of their politics, but student performance is not political, it can be measured and assessed. Teachers who aren't achieving the minimum student performance should be invited to seek another profession regardless of how long they have been a teachers.

Teachers will never know their true value until government education is eliminated. Subsidized salaries are no way to ascertain value or demand.

They may be worth more than they are being paid, but until they are willing to expose themselves to a free market they will never know.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    Teachers will never know their true value until government education is eliminated. Subsidized salaries are no way to ascertain value or demand.

They may be worth more than they are being paid, but until they are willing to expose themselves to a free market they will never know.
    Yes, and lets do the same thing for the courts - subsidized salaries for judges are no way to ascertain value or demand.

If you can't afford a private education or private justice then you don't deserve an education or justice.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post

Spot on!

All I can add is that what is disturbing to me is the longevity step system of pay where ability and commitment is not recognized. The young and so-called inexperienced teachers are penalized because they have no tenure.

No one ever speaks on this inequity, be it the union or the teachers themselves. Have they been brainwashed to be patient that their day will come and they will taste the fruits of a pension system that will no longer be in existence? Please tell me that the pension system will be changed.

Young, capable, committed teachers need to be paid for doing the same job that others are doing despite years of service. However, we know that will never happen in the public sector. It is the job of public sector unions to protect the inept.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    While the Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) and the Lancaster Central Teachers Association (LCTA) await news from fact-finder (arbitrator) Howard Foster on his recommendation for reaching compromise on a union contract settlement that was due in June 2009, a Lancaster teacher addressed the Board of Education (BOE) last night on her belief that teachers were under-appreciated and under-valued.

Prior to LCSD Superintendent Edward Myszka announcing that fact-finder Howard Foster should be making an announcement sometime later this week, teacher Angeline Pappas made the following comments.

Pappas presentation

I want to express my feelings about a recent article I read in the Buffalo News. The article upset me and gave me cause for concerns. It stated that the United States is in great need of top-notch teachers, particularly in the field of science. It states that our economic well-being is dependent on these teachers. There is no substitute for a gifted teacher who knows and loves his or her subjects.

However, it goes on to say: “Ironically, the economy which we must strive to excel increasingly, all the way through blackboards, the very people we need to prepare and inspire our students, these people can get higher paying jobs in industry that confers more respect and prestige.”

I found this to be humiliating and insulting because I am considered to be in one of those fields that does not confer much respect or prestige. In fact, the article tells us that bright college students interested in math and science don’t even consider a career in teaching. It points out that we need to make the profession more attractive. After all, in the private sector that’s how you get and keep the people you need. So basically the mentality seems to be that we need excellent teachers, dedicated teachers.

Oh, we don’t want to pay them; they are not worth that much. I consider myself to be a teacher who knows what I teach and that I can inspire and prepare my students. I truly have a passion for what I do. Unfortunately, it is disheartening and hurtful to me that I too often feel that I am unappreciated and under-valued. Why would you want your teachers to feel that way? Thank you.

Resident comments

At the closing public comment session, resident Mike Sage spoke on the comments made by an individual at the previous meeting on behalf of some of the taxpayers. “I understand his position that the cost of living adjustment has not gone up (Social Security) for two years and that taxes have obviously gone up. But, that being said, I want to make it clear that’s not the feeling of all taxpayers. Myself, I want to see as much of my taxes go to education as possible.”

Sage went on to say that if possible he would like to see a federal and state government gradient system in place where more money went to education. And he declared “many taxpayers feel that way.”

Sage was asked by a BOE member if it was his belief that the majority of residents feel as he does and that they want to pay more in school taxes. He responded that he would not dare say that he was part of the majority that would like to see taxes increase, but I think a lot of people want their taxes to go to education, and it’s what you (BOE) does next year that forces the hand of other governments who would change their tactics.”

Comments

First off, I don’t seriously don’t know any Lancaster resident that does not value or appreciate their teachers for their efforts and commitment. That said, I do know we live in difficult economic times where many taxpayers have not received salary increases of 3.95% (scheduled in the school budget) and pay much more than the 9% paid into an insurance premium that does not provide such generous health/dental/vision coverage.

So until the public hears what the Fact-Finder’s recommendations are regarding the LCSD and LCTA union contract negotiations, many have to assume the 3.95% wage increase is more than fair, especially if other concessions are not had.

Next, it is hard to understand Mr. Sage’s comments as to intent. Is his primary concern here to pay whatever it takes to maintain quality education or was he acting on behalf of the teachers union supporting their contract demand? It is not unreasonable for the LCTA to ask for the sun and the stars. It is equally not unreasonable for taxpayers to say enough is enough; we can’t or shouldn’t have to pay more.

As a taxpayer who supported maintaining ninth period at the recent budget hearings, one that kept the kids educational opportunities in mind and saved over 20 teacher jobs, I find a 3.95% wage increase more than generous at this time. I was the individual who Mr. Sage referred as one who did not get a Social Security adjustment.

Mr. Sage failed to add that my comments also included individuals who have lost jobs, have not received wage increases in years, have had their wages reduced and/or do not have the pension plans and health care programs that they are obligated to pay for.

Taxpayers have every right to ask the BOE to keep their best interests in mind as well as that of the school district staff. The town recently took heat for the 2.75-3% wage increases town employees received. If teachers are not satisfied with the 3.95% wage increase that was scheduled in the budget, what do they want? Well, we shall soon find out.

And, if the BOE grants more than a 3.95% wage increase where will the funding come from? Oh yeah, reserves - taxpayer money.

Perhaps Mr. Sage and his ilk could send in a check to the school district to help matters out.
    I personally believe that (in my opinion only) coming from a family of educators, we need to address the educators that merely exist in their job. I believe that poor teachers should be gone. I agree, we need only the best of facilitators not mediocrity.

I also believe to ensure this, tenure should be abolished (like what you mentioned Nogods). Reason is that tenure seals the deal for poor teaching. Excellent teachers are their worth in the salaries they get. However, in times of fiscal troubles like all things, we need to be responsible with the increases.

As for the comment about more for the education system, I don't know a resident who feels the same way Sage feels. He was a plant from the inside know doubt by his comment.

Forgot to state:

The quote for the day:

"The system is not set up to reward excellence.."

It is set up to reward mediocrity.

I know teachers that make well over 60k a year for a9 month a year job, I know some that make more. Do they bring work home? um, yeah ... guess what? so do the majority of professionals .... it comes with the job.

Is it an impt job? sure is ... but 60k a year for 9 months of work - regardless if you are bringing work home to correct papers or planning,,, sorry .. no tears here.

Guess what summer school pays? Look it up .....

We all could have been teachers if we wanted .... it is not a bad gig.
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

All I know is that the teaching profession is the least accountable profession in all of the US... fewer teacher are fired every year (as a %) than any other profession. Yet the unions clam thy are the most important profession in our society... does anyone wonder why we are 16 in the world and 40th in the nation?
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Teachers are absolutely not under-compensated in NY. In comparison to the rest of the 49 states no public servant is under compensated and to suggest such is just plain stupid.

Thread Information