Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuomo to create powerful new corruption-busting office?

Unregistered

Cuomo to create powerful new corruption-busting office?

This could be an opportunity to challenge corruption in all levels of NYS govt.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/a...sVdkoa3PakUPYL

Andy wants top dog to root out dirty pols

By DAVID SEIFMAN and CARL CAMPANILE

Last Updated: 6:51 AM, Posted: 12:32 AM, November 13, 2010

Gov.-elect Andrew Cuomo embraced a plan yesterday to create a powerful new corruption-busting office to probe wrongdoing in the scandal-scarred Legislature as well as the executive branch.

Cuomo responded positively to state Inspector General Joseph Fisch's proposal outlined in yesterday's Post that would set up a super-agency with sweeping authority to investigate crime and sleaze in all branches of state and local government.

"There were conversations today in the newspaper about possible independent prosecutors and proposals for that. I believe that's going to be part of the legislation . . . having an independent ethics watchdog and prosecutor," Cuomo, the current attorney general, said after meeting with Attorney General-elect Eric Schneiderman.

Andrew Cuomo

Under current law, the inspector general is authorized to probe wrongdoing only in the state executive branch or among those under the employ of the governor and his appointees. There is no agency that routinely investigates lawbreaking in the Legislature.

Fisch praised Cuomo's enthusiastic backing of the establishment a corruption watchdog with broad powers. "Andrew Cuomo is deeply committed to ethics reform and, as governor, will do so in a comprehensive, thorough and meaningful way," Fisch said.

Cuomo said the governor has executive power -- under the state Moreland Act -- to designate a deputy attorney general or other appointees to investigate corruption. But he said he prefers that the Legislature enact a law to create an office to clean up Albany.

"Are there things the governor can do without legislation? Yes. Moreland Commission, et cetera. That is not the optimum from my point of view. That's not where I want to start," he said. "I want to start with the optimum, which is a piece of legislation passed by the Legislature that reforms the entire system."

Cuomo noted that most of the state's newly elected officials had signed a reform pledge during their campaigns to root out Albany corruption. "Everyone who ran -- I don't care if they're a Democrat or Republican, Assembly, Senate, governor, attorney general -- everybody ran saying we will clean up Albany, right? Everybody said that. Well, now you have to do it," Cuomo said. "Let's clean up Albany. The best way to do it is not these hodgepodge efforts . . . Now they'll have a piece of legislation they can pass."

For his part, Schneiderman, who will succeed Cuomo as attorney general, said he's on board with ethics reform. "This is an issue that relates to ethics reform proposals, many of which I've sponsored before," he said.

Fisch said he envisioned a corruption-fighting agency in the mold of the defunct State Investigations Commission. He worked as a prober at the SIC for 18 years.

david.seifman@nypost.com

The bozo should have kept his job as attorney general. He's going to totally screw up everything as governor.
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bioguy231 View Post
    The bozo should have kept his job as attorney general. He's going to totally screw up everything as governor.
    I'm with you, Bio. More state hires, more hot air.

What's going on in Minnesota, Kern?

who is running that office his father..............

This was one of Carl Paladino's plan. He wanted to implement an ethics reform program and also hire a special prosecutor. As for Cuomo, I'll believe it when it happens.

!

there ya go...more Government just what we need here in NY State.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    who is running that office his father..............
    Good one cheekman....and accurate "a$$ umption".....well with the downsizing of government, hey they needed to fill those "lost" positions and patronage jobs,. so let's look at corruption fellows....yeah right....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Give the man a chance. He's taking on something where he is already behind the eight ball to begin with. The guy has absolutely no experience with management of people, no experience on what it takes to be competitive as a state/business entity and he got elected by basically repeating what Carl was stating all along. We should all hope he accomplishes what needs to be done to make our state competitive. So don't knock him until we see results or the complete lack of results a year or two in.

You know what would be cool. If a couple of community minded people would work on a blog for speakup following the antics of Cuomo and crew. This way in four years if things don't get better we have the ultimate told you so.

You know what would be cool. If a couple of community minded people would work on a blog for speakup following the antics of Cuomo and crew. This way in four years if things don't get better we have the ultimate told you so.
    Great idea and not just for Cuomo. How about Timmy? And anyone else that ran under a reform platform?
    It really needs to be impartial though and cover good and evil. We all seem to have short memories, especially when remembering and not remembering supports our own agendas.
    I don't think I possess the organizational skills to do it myself, but I would be willing to spend some time doing some tracking.

As to Cuomo's (unoriginal) idea, it's something long overdue, but isn't there already an ethics committee? What would make this any different? And will it be part of the AG's office or a whole new agency with a whole new bureaucratic
    structure of top-heavy management/patronage jobs? How transparent will it be? Who will it report to?
    Lot's of questions, few details.
    Last edited by cookie; November 15th, 2010 at 12:31 PM.

So, it was a good idea when Paladino proposed it, but now that Cuomo's jumped on the idea (and could actually have the power to do it) some pro-Paladino posters think it's a bad idea???

Is that like the numerous Pubbie Congressmen/women who ran opposing earmarks and/or government spending but are now embracing both after they've been elected?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    So, it was a good idea when Paladino proposed it, but now that Cuomo's jumped on the idea (and could actually have the power to do it) some pro-Paladino posters think it's a bad idea???

Is that like the numerous Pubbie Congressmen/women who ran opposing earmarks and/or government spending but are now embracing both after they've been elected?
    "and could actually have the power to do it" He has just as much power to do so as Carl would. They were both running for the same office.

Cuomo had his chance as Attorney General he did nothing. I know because we constantly filed stuff with his office with proof to boot. Right now all he has is political gibberish. I'll believe it when I see it. Futhermore let's see what happens to Hevesi first. I would bet nothing of any significance and that will be all of Cuomo's doing. He'll get a slap on his back for helping out a cronie!

But wasn't that his job as AG???

Now he has to create a new govt group (on our $$) to do what he should have been doing for 8 years???
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

I don't know if the AG has the power to investigate the state legislature. Moreover, if the AG does have the power to investigate the state legislature, then why did Paladino propose a "special prosecutor" to do it -- and, more importantly, why did you all think this was a good thing?

it's all just posturing and window dressing for a run in 2016. compliant media already in place a la obama model; even a poll broadcast on news today posed the question about presidential run. the agenda is already in motion,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information