Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bauerle on arson

bauerle on arson

Should WBEN sanction Tom Bauerle for his comments about what to do to abandoned houses in your neighborhood? I was watching channel 7 and they had a story about how he said if you have an abandoned house nearby just get some gas and a match. In light of the recent tragedy to Buffalo Firefighter Mark Reed, I think he should at least make a public apology and if not WBEN should step in and sanction him. Not sure how to post link from channel 7 any help will be appreciated. Just wondering how others are feeling about his comments.
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Does tom realize that article 39 (I think it's 39, maybe 35, it's the one that lays out when it's justified to use force, including dealy force) that he has often mentioned on his show authorizes deadly force to stop an arsonist?

Now, controlled burns started by the fire departments to use as training I'd support, but never arson
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

I wonder if that is actionable
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by unioncop
    Not sure how to post link from channel 7 any help will be appreciated. Just wondering how others are feeling about his comments.
    Fire Officials upset with Statements by WBEN's Tom Bauerle

By Paul GrantIt is these comments, when Tom Bauerle responded to a caller complaining about abandoned and neglected homes in Depew, that upset Buffalo Firefighters.
    "Do you have any fresh gasoline and some matches by any chance," said Bauerle on June 7th.

And Bauerle went on to say,

"Let's put it this way. It should never be a surprise when a property like that that is bringing the rest of the neighborhood down goes up in flames some morning at 3 a-m," Bauerle added.

Buffalo Firefighters, dealing with numerous arson fires, one where Mark Reed was critically injured, are angry.

"All firefighters, paid and volunteer, have to risk their life to fight these fires, and for Bauerle to suggest we take a gallon of gas and matches and burn them down is reprehensible, and for the station to allow him to continue doing this is reprehensible," said Fire Union President Joe Foley.

Fire commissioner Mike Lombardo was also offended.

"I listened to them today for the first time and I thought it was disgusting," said Lombardo.

Foley called for Bauerle to get out of town. Lombardo hoping he is off the air.

"I would hope that he is gone, but I would hope at best people out there vote with their ears. Don't listen to him," added Lombardo.

WBEN responding in a statement today.

"What happened to Buffalo Firefighter Mark Reed was a terrible tragedy and our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. The comments in question made by Tom Bauerle are being used out of context and were an off-hand remark made during a program where he called for local governments to take problems of blight and neglect more seriously. And the show aired before the abandoned house fires were a news item. Tom Bauerle and WBEN have, on numerous occasions, demonstrated support for all public safety officials and in no way meant to condone a criminal act. In fact, prior to this tragedy, Tom has been on the record sharing the frustrations of firefighters and residents concerning the lack of action on abandoned homes in the city. Tom ends each and every of his shows telling listeners if you see suspicious people doing suspicious things, call the authorities." Statement from WBEN Radio.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/8079767.html

Lets face it.

He's an *******, has been an ******* and will always be an *******.

The reason that he is on the air is that the area is primarily made up of *******s and birds of a feather flock together.
    I made a lot of money and spent most of it on booze, fast cars and loose women. I blew the rest.

Thanks Surfing
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

He made the comments before Reed was injured. Had Reed not been injured this would be a non story.
    I don't like the manufactured outrage. Especially when the comments were made before anyone got hurt.

so do you condone his comments?
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Before or after Reed was hurt, Bauerle's comments were crude and distasteful. But since when have discretion and taste been a part of Bauerle's repertorie?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

so do you condone his comments?

In hindsight they seem to be in poor taste. Had the firefighter not been hurt I wouldn't have given his comments a second thought.

People that talk on air for 15 hours a week are bound to say something that offends somebody.

I see Foley wanting some camera time to try and make up for the last time he was on TV.

advocating arson is pretty stupid (possibly criminal, no?) and bauerle is pretty stupid, so i guess it makes sense.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Should WBEN sanction Tom Bauerle for his comments ...
    Sanction?
    What ever happened to free speech?

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    Sanction?
    What ever happened to free speech?
    Free speech must not be in the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    Free speech must not be in the contract.
    Oh, WBEN is outside the Bill of Rights??

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

When Bauerle or Beach had shows on the punk at the ice rink people called in and advocated giving the kid a beating and saying the parents deserved to get a swift kick in the ass. That's assault and even inciting violence against the family. Seeing as though the majority of people agreed with it nobody made a stink about it.

Selective anger?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information