Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here we go again.. Nothing is ever done..

Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEDNY View Post
    So when the new congress passes a bill.
    Then the senate goes along and sends the bill to POTUS.
    Then POTUS vetos it.
    I'll expect to see you on here whinning about President NO.
    Isn't this called checks and balances. Doesn't each branch have independence. Isn't this why it was created by our forefathers.

So why didn't the Republicans hold a press conference for Jobs? Do they have enough to override any veto? That is why it is there..

The Democrats could of done one without the other too but they didn't either..

They both could agree on middle class tax cuts.. Will they?

Watch.. I don't think so..

No one on this board makes $250,000. If I did, I would be more than happy to pay extra..
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Quote Originally Posted by PickOranges View Post
    Isn't this why it was created by our forefathers.
    I don't think the founding fathers fathomed (say that three times fast) the notion of a 60 vote "majority." Or rules which allow a single Senator to secretly place a hold on a bill or appointment. It was about debate and voting, majority rules.

If there is one thing which frustrates me as a voter it is how the rules process has so corrupted the system. Where single individuals in either house, federal or state, can block a bill from going to a vote.

The Constitution was written for majority rules, except in certain circumstances where a two thirds majority is required, over ride of a Presidential veto and maybe impeachment though I am not sure.

The filibuster. I remember being taught it was a Senator taking the floor of the Senate and not relinquishing it, thus keeping a bill from coming to a vote. But he had to remain on the floor, reading the bible or an encyclopedia if necessary. But declaring a filibuster and moving on with the business, ending it with a vote, isn't the way the Founding Fathers practiced it.

b.b.

GOP investigators take aim at health care overhaul

Republicans say they'll focus on what the new health care law will mean for Medicare and employer health plans, mainstays of the middle class.

"Oversight will play a crucial role in Republican efforts," Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said. "We may not be able to bring about straight repeal in the next two years ... but we can compel administration officials to attempt to defend this indefensible health spending bill."

WASTE THE NEXT 2 YRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bioguy231 View Post
    The stock markets work differently from banks with respect to taxes. Interest you make from a bank account is considered simple income and you pay income taxes on it.

Money you make in the stock market is a capital gain and you only pay capital gains taxes on that gain when you sell the stock. It's like owning a house. If you own a house or property that doubles in value you don't pay capital gains taxes on that increase until you sell your house or property.

In the case of Bill Gates, he owns roughly 8% of Microsoft and has for a long time. If Microsoft stock values double, Bill pays no taxes on that until he decides to sell some of the stock.

With regard to capital gains, if you own a house, property, stock or any capital asset for more than one year, when you sell it you pay 15% on the capital gain. If you own for less than a year, the tax you pay is much higher, similar to what you pay on simple income.
    Thanks Bio. We may be agreeing with each other and just not being clear. I was thinking more about dividends from companies you are a shareholder in or dividends from Mutual funds, interest earned from Treasury bills, bonds, etc. Understood that if you sell an asset, you are looking at capital gains. I think most smart wealthy people live off the earnings from their investments as opposed to living off principal.

Lets just screw them-- Most are received unemployment..

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Nearly 59 million Americans went without health insurance coverage for at least part of 2010, many of them with conditions or diseases that needed treatment, federal health officials said on Tuesday.

They said 4 million more Americans went without insurance in the first part of 2010 than during the same time in 2008.

"Both adults and kids lost private coverage over the past decade," Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told a news briefing.

Who cares about jobs anyway???

How much will Wall street bonuses be this year? Maybe another record breaking year...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information