Restoring The Wayne Apartments... and Main Street

Back in June WCP reported that an upgrade was underway at this apartment building on Elmwood Avenue. While owner Barons of Buffalo, LLC has been busy on Elmwood, another apartment complex in the company's portfolio is getting similar treatment on Main Street.

Built as The Wayne apartments in 1914, the interior units eventually became downtrodden, and that was their condition when they were purchased by new owners. I spoke to General Manager Marilyn Rodgers who told me that work is underway to bring dignity back to the apartments by undergoing a systematic restoration of each unit. "We're leasing the apartments out to UB students, theater people and others who have heard about the work that we're doing," Marilyn told me. "We've just leased 20 units. So far we have people moving in who have relocated from Brockport, Toronto, Syracuse, Dallas and Amherst (do to the close proximity of the medical campus)... and five European students are hoping to move in once more units are completed. As of now 17 apartments have been fully renovated. Common areas have been cleaned and will soon be repainted. There's a brand new laundry room on the way, we're resurfacing the driveway (there is off-street parking)... we're even encouraging the tenants to start a tenant association. There's a community in there now. We're not just managing the properties, we're redeveloping the properties. There are eight vacancies at the moment, but those units are being worked on and should be rented soon."
Read the full story on Buffalorising.com