Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doesnt it bother anyone that Wilmot Cancer Center is over 4x larger than Buffalos!

Unregistered

Doesnt it bother anyone that Wilmot Cancer Center is over 4x larger than Buffalos!

Doesnt it bother anyone that Wilmot Cancer Center is over 4x larger and employs almost 18,000 people compared with Buffalos COE for Life Sciences and Roswell!

and now Rochester just added 600 jobs in a new building for clinical trials

and Rochester adds about 1 Center of Excellence per year while Buffalo hasnt added any!

and you cannot even compare the job growth....

BUT INSTEAD OF SUPPORT FOR THE COE IN LIFE SCIENCES, OR NEW CONVENTION CENTER OR SOME OTHER JOB CREATING VENUE WE HAVE BROWN WHO CARES MORE ABOUT RAISES FOR CIVIL SERVANTS AND LIFTING THE ONLY CHECK ON THOSE LEACHES THE CONTROL BOARD.

YEAH...BROWN CERTAINLY IS BROWN.....**** BROWN.....

It doesnt bother me. As long as one of these Cancer Research places starts finding cures, who cares if Rochester has a bigger one than Buffalo?

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    It doesnt bother me. As long as one of these Cancer Research places starts finding cures, who cares if Rochester has a bigger one than Buffalo?
    Timmy just has pen...uuuh, cancer center envy.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

derisive snorts aside, Timmay does have a point. Rochester seems quite happy to invest in its future by building and marketing these centers. Buffalo could learn a couple of lessons there. And yes DD, Rochester DOES provide some public funding for these initiatives, and are reaping rewards. It happens sometimes...
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Rochester also has a Republican County Legislature, a Republican County Executive and an intelligent Democratic Mayor.....

Buffalo has a pathetic Democratic County Legislature, a sad sad "Republican" County Executive and a not so smart Democratic Mayor....

Funny how intelligent, bipartisan people can get the job done and dumb, partisan people cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    derisive snorts aside, Timmay does have a point. Rochester seems quite happy to invest in its future by building and marketing these centers. Buffalo could learn a couple of lessons there. And yes DD, Rochester DOES provide some public funding for these initiatives, and are reaping rewards. It happens sometimes...
    Hmmmm, billions of taxpayers' dollars invested in cancer research over many years and still no cure! All of those jobs would go POOF if a cure is found, perhaps public funding is a disincentive? Government supported medical research makes for a nice cozy living, if the research continues!
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

If a cancer cure is found, they can convert the research centers to AIDS research centers.....

If a cancer cure is found, they can convert the research centers to AIDS research centers.....
    That is a separate set of funded jobs and would still most likely result in the loss of employment.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    And so with gods and men

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareDistrict
    Hmmmm, billions of taxpayers' dollars invested in cancer research over many years and still no cure! All of those jobs would go POOF if a cure is found, perhaps public funding is a disincentive? Government supported medical research makes for a nice cozy living, if the research continues!
    Well, by all means, let's end government cancer research! What a waste of taxpayers' money!!!

I just love the rationale: since I don't have cancer, don't waste my money on cancer research!
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Unregistered

DD, your right there are cancer cures which remain on the shelf because:

DD, your right there are cancer cures which remain on the shelf because the patent has already expired or its already a commercial chemical. Therefore there is no legal way to charge $200 a pill for them.....they wont get fully explored and will never make it to clinical trials for that reason.

So yes...your right...what many people think is private sector pharmaceutical research is actually government funded research. There are problems with the way research is structured and financed..and to a large extent government research is funded towards pharmaceuticals which can take the research productize it with a huge markup....that the consumer (us) has to pay....suffer or die.

But that doesnt excuse Buffalo (Using Rochester as an example)!
    2) our Buffalo State should be RIT, with cooperative education, polling the business community and adding new degrees almost annually. Believe it or not RIT has degrees in programming video games and animation. Thats how deep they poll into the business community's needs.....Buffalo on the other hand which does much more film and TV related business has no such degrees because local colleges could care less about talking to and working cooperatively with the government or local business! I DONT THINK BUFFALO STATE HAS ADDED A NEW MARKETABLE DEGREE IN 30+ YEARS IF THAT!

3) Our Buffalo General, Roswell & UB Life Sciences should be comparable to URs Strong & Wilmot Cancer Centers....and its not even close. Now you can bitch and moan about government funded research but Wilmot Cancer Centers employs almost 18000 people...and they just added another Center for Excellence in Clinical Trials (600 jobs) and their business incubator have a strong record of local growth.....

while Buffalo hasnt added any additional centers for excellence...and its business incubators are lucky to break the single digits of employment (1-9)

SORRY BUT IM SHOCKED, APALLED AND DISGUSTED THAT WE ARE LOSING 1000 JOBS AT AMERICAN AXLE, WE HAVE RAW RESOURCES THAT COULD PRODUCE JOBS AND WHERE IS OUR FOCUS....NOT ON THE TAXPAYER....AND CERTAINLY NOT ON JOBS FOR OUR CITIZENS AND CHILDREN GRADUATING WHO WANT TO STAY.....NO OUR FOCUS IS ON REMOVING THE CONTROL BOARD, GIVING HUGE RAISES TO CIVIL SERVANTS AND STICKING IT TO THE COMMUTER THAT HAS THE NERVE (FOR SHAME!) TO WORK WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS.

WITH ALL THE HOPES FOR BUFFALOS FUTURE....BUFFALO SIMPLY DOESNT HAVE THE LEADERSHIP NOT JUST TO PLAN FOR ITS FUTURE, NOT JUST TO EXECUTE ITS FUTURE, NOT JUST TO ARRANGE PARTNERSHIPS AND COALITIONS FOR ITS FUTURE....NNOOO...BUFFALO DOESNT HAVE THE LEADERSHIP TO STAND UP TO UNIONS AND ALBANY!

You see Rochester does better than Buffalo because its fortune 500 companies have some of the best lawyers in upstate to ruthlessly counter attack union demands, Rochester also has a media that is very patriotic to the city whether its denigrating unions or shaming companies for poor corporate citizenship and lastly.....places like UR and RIT are NOT constrained by albany.....rochester knows enough that its future is not in civil service unions and albany but in its own business community and residents.

For shame with all the pride we have in Buffalo that we do not have enough faith in our community to do the same!

Off the top of my head.... i would say that Computer Information Studies (CIS) was not around 30 years ago at Buffalo State. Just a guess though. I will look into anymore majors that they offer that may be more recent.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    Doesnt it bother anyone that Wilmot Cancer Center is over 4x larger and employs almost 18,000 people compared with Buffalos COE for Life Sciences and Roswell!
    I have a lot going on in my life, and plenty of things that do bother me. But, no, this is certainly not one of them.

If, hopefully, some day there is a cure for cancer, most people will be thrilled. You, Timmy, will only want to know why the jobs weren't in Buffalo. Let's get our priorities straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    Well, by all means, let's end government cancer research! What a waste of taxpayers' money!!!

I just love the rationale: since I don't have cancer, don't waste my money on cancer research!
    Your perception of what I said is totally off base. If you would like to address my remarks, at least stick to what I said, not what you think I said.

Just to clarify, private research without government funding has a much greater incentive to find a cure. That is the only way they will realize a return on their investment.

Government funded research has no financial incentive to find a cure since the money comes from the taxpayers. There is no financial risk to the researchers. There is, in fact, an incentive to drag out the research as long as possible since once a cure is found, the research (and related jobs) are no longer necessary.

It's not complicated, just simple economics.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    And so with gods and men

Off the top of my head.... i would say that Computer Information Studies (CIS) was not around 30 years ago at Buffalo State. Just a guess though. I will look into anymore majors that they offer that may be more recent.
    Actually their computer department started in their math department by a gentleman whose name was Rudy Myers. He came over from UB after their computer dept. was spun off their math dept.

Buff State's computer department had a degree program called ISM - Information Systems Management (The old Punch cards). The dept. head name was Scott - While being the dpt. head he was also attending UB to get his DR. degree in Computer Science.

Micheal

Come on DD, you know as well as the rest of us do that the person or team who truly discovers a cure for cancer will end up being rich and famous beyond any of our dreams. The Nobel Prize ceremony will just be the beginning of their social calendars.
    Can you imagine the public figure under whose tenure it gets to be announced that a cure is found? Talk about a legacy in the history books!

You should know by now that 'simple economics' is only the beginning, and never the end, of wisdom.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information