Thread: Lackawanna adopts $20.98 million budget

Lackawanna adopts $20.98 million budget

The Lackawanna City Council on Friday unanimously approved a $20.98 million budget for 2007-08.

The budget carries a homestead tax rate of $11.58 per $1,000 of assessed valuation — down 66 cents from the current rate, and a nonhomestead rate of $33.48, down $1.35.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ory/94880.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unregistered

It really means nothing without comparisons to other towns, cities and villages

It really means nothing without comparisons to other towns, cities and villages

Now wouldnt that really put some pressure on different locals....to get their budgets in order

Don't get excited...

The City just completed a reval and are committed to 100% assessment - so rates aren't "apples to apples" year to year.

They INCREASED the assessment on Bethlehem Steel property to $40m even though there is a pending court case and the appraisals on the property are around $14m. This artificially increases revenues (and lowers the tax rate) with money that will just have to be refunded to the steel company after the court case is settled.

State Aid was increased from $4m to over $5.5 mil!!! With that increase in revenue, they should have been able to lower rates even further.

They borrowed another $950000 putting their debt at the highest levels in recent history. They bonded police cars, vans and PENSIONS.

Oh yea, most important IT IS AN ELECTION YEAR for the Mayor and two of the councilmen. That's why you see 40,000 in new playground equipment in the budget.

There has been NO restructuring of departments, or any cost savings measures other than (allegedly) illegally changing health benefits in a case that is still due to go to court. Their property tax has been kept artificially low because of enormous amounts of state aid that have poured in. Check the State Comptroller website, Lackawanna gets MILLIONS while neighboring towns get thousands - not to mention two bites at the sales tax apple!

Speakin of court - the Beth Steel assessment case was scheduled to go to court last year, but they delayed it until this november - can you guess why?

Don't believe everything you read.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They bonded police cars, vans and PENSIONS.
    THEY BORROWED MONEY for pensions? You GOT to be kidding. So now those pensions cost even more because of interest on the bonds.

Are you sure you have the facts correct?

Who voted yes to something like that? What party did the people who approved it belong to and who endorsed them?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    THEY BARROWED MONEY for pensions? You GOT to be kidding. So now those pensions cost even more because of interest on the bonds.

Are you sure you have the facts correct?
    It is listed in their capital budget

Who voted yes to something like that? What party did the people who approved it belong to and who endorsed them?
    In LA it is Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Demo...you get the idea.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    In LA it is Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Demo...you get the idea.
    So without any mistakes your refering to the Erie County Democratic Party lead by Lenny Lenihan

Correct?

So without any mistakes your refering to the Erie County Democratic Party lead by Lenny Lenihan

Correct?
    He may be refering to the fact that almost since the dawn if history Lackawanna has been a Democratic stronghold, like most cities.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    He may be refering to the fact that almost since the dawn if history Lackawanna has been a Democratic stronghold, like most cities.

Actually Lackawanna used to be a pretty Republican area ... but its been over 30 years since there was a Republican mayor... strangely coincidental with the 30 year demise of Lackawanna's economy, social structure, national reputation and pathetic politics...

but Norm brought windmills! (and brought Lackawanna within 3% of it's legal taxing limit) Next thing you know he'll be walking on water with Brian Higgins...

Quote Originally Posted by goldfoxx16
    but Norm brought windmills! (and brought Lackawanna within 3% of it's legal taxing limit) Next thing you know he'll be walking on water with Brian Higgins...
    Actually, the County did most of the work on the windmills. It was an old idea from the early 90s that was finally brought to fruition. He sure loves takin his picture in front of them, but really, the only thing he did was negotiate a bad financial package ($100k or $12,500 per tower - watch what Hamburg gets, most communities get $40k per tower). And his bad deal didn't get any $$ for the school district!

Quote Originally Posted by Lookinforanswers
    Actually, the County did most of the work on the windmills. It was an old idea from the early 90s that was finally brought to fruition. He sure loves takin his picture in front of them, but really, the only thing he did was negotiate a bad financial package ($100k or $12,500 per tower - watch what Hamburg gets, most communities get $40k per tower). And his bad deal didn't get any $$ for the school district!
    i guess you didn't pick on my sarcasm... i thought i was laying on pretty thick

You know I've thought about running here, but I have school up in Rochester and afterwards I doubt I will be in the area. Or, if I am it won't be in good ole' LA.

Quote Originally Posted by AWNYCollegeStudent
    You know I've thought about running here, but I have school up in Rochester and afterwards I doubt I will be in the area. Or, if I am it won't be in good ole' LA.
    Hey, don't let that stop you, you don't think that any of the elected officials now know what is going on, and they live there!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    Hey, don't let that stop you, you don't think that any of the elected officials now know what is going on, and they live there!
    HA! HA! Yea, but I'm just idealistic (foolish) enough to believe that the person should live, work, and be a part of the community they want to help serve. I am at best a part time resident with a huge family here and the surrounding area.

State Audit 6/2006

I have not seen the newly passed budget for 2007/08 but I am wondering if the issues addressed in the State Comptroller's report where ever considered by the council in passing this new budget.

Here is the .pdf file of that report by the State Comptroller

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/...lackawanna.pdf

Thread Information