Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which country?

Which country?

So, I'm looking to ex-pat. Final decision is determined by 2010. If we get another string of nut cases, and if the next two years brings nothing but grid lock: I'm gone.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...European-Union

My short-list is Netherlands, Germany, or France. I've been to both Germany and France already; so I'm familiar with the cultures/areas. Netherlands is a new one, but they have a nice treaty in place with the US which allows people to move there, to start a business.

IT consulting, for the most part can be done remotely. And, for the projects where it can't be done, well I'll have to subcontract, or just focus more on EU projects.

Which one would be on your "short list" to move to in the EU?
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

good riddance to you, god speed

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    good riddance to you, god speed
    Well, not entirely. I'm still a citizen, and a voter

I just prefer my family to live somewhere that considers people more important than business. Where the classes are a little better adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    So, I'm looking to ex-pat. Final decision is determined by 2010. If we get another string of nut cases, and if the next two years brings nothing but grid lock: I'm gone.

My short-list is Netherlands, Germany, or France. I've been to both Germany and France already; so I'm familiar with the cultures/areas. Netherlands is a new one, but they have a nice treaty in place with the US which allows people to move there, to start a business.

IT consulting, for the most part can be done remotely. And, for the projects where it can't be done, well I'll have to subcontract, or just focus more on EU projects.

Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, New Zealand.

Italy would be my first choice in EU.

California. Seriously. California is its own country. It's mine own and I miss it desperately. You can have an open mind and not be called a libtard. All of my family is there....my kids, sibs, mother. Even my husband is there half of the year. Think vineyards, think ocean. Okay, think traffic but that can be avoided. Think mountains. Think a world where not everyone looks like you and doesn't speak the same language but wants to communicate with you because they are so happy to be there. Cool.

Think a world where not everyone looks like you and doesn't speak the same language but wants to communicate with you because they are so happy to be there.
    California is all about the "me" industry. I did not find Californians "eager to communicate," but eager to promote themselves.

If it's the EU get used to a much smaller house and more $$$ costs...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, New Zealand.

Italy would be my first choice in EU.
    I've never been a fan of S. America, and the beaches would be too great a calling I might look at Italy more. Italian is just a romance language, and I'm pretty handy with spanish and french already.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001 View Post
    California. Seriously. California is its own country. It's mine own and I miss it desperately. You can have an open mind and not be called a libtard. All of my family is there....my kids, sibs, mother. Even my husband is there half of the year. Think vineyards, think ocean. Okay, think traffic but that can be avoided. Think mountains. Think a world where not everyone looks like you and doesn't speak the same language but wants to communicate with you because they are so happy to be there. Cool.
    The only problem with CA? It's affected by the federal government, which is what I'm starting to fear, since the people in control of it (The Electorate) have such a short-termed memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    If it's the EU get used to a much smaller house and more $$$ costs...
    Yes, smaller house will be a "requirement"... Not too big an issue. And yes, higher costs, but more purchasing power. No longer will half my paycheck go towards health insurance

Yes, smaller house will be a "requirement"... Not too big an issue. And yes, higher costs, but more purchasing power. No longer will half my paycheck go towards health insurance
    no half will go to taxes... and don't forget the VAT....

And If you move to the Netherlands (which would be my pick) order two beers at a times, they have some super slow service there.

Oh and get used to driving a Ford Fiesta size car!

no half will go to taxes... and don't forget the VAT....

And If you move to the Netherlands (which would be my pick) order two beers at a times, they have some super slow service there.

Oh and get used to driving a Ford Fiesta size car!
    Yes, true. About half goes to taxes. Which supports a very good social system, which encourages good living.

I have a friend in the Netherlands. One thing which pulls me there is their political climate and system: They have like 12 parties, and rarely does one get "control". The majority proposes bills, and the remainder run "shadow governments", which all create proposals to reach the same goal.

And the car? Meh, might not be too big a deal: They have high-speed rail transportation pretty much everywhere. And taxis take you the last leg.

And the car? Meh, might not be too big a deal: They have high-speed rail transportation pretty much everywhere. And taxis take you the last leg.
    .... You've never been to Amsterdamn obviously.

.... You've never been to Amsterdamn obviously.
    No, I already said I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    California is all about the "me" industry. I did not find Californians "eager to communicate," but eager to promote themselves.
    Wow. Someone had a bad vacation.

New Zealand is probably the place for you. Depending on your formal education you could probably receive an instant work visa that could be parlayed into citizenship within 2 years. You already said you are in IT, which is one of the "demand" fields. Plus, they are liberal and you'll get the "free" healthcare you feel you deserve.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information