Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetables, Salads & Breads

Vegetables, Salads & Breads

Well one of the must have's for dinner of course is the vegetable, salads and the bread.

Have you tried this one for a side:
    Cauliflower and Broccoli with fresh herb butter:

3 tbs of butter
    3 tbs of finely chopped chives
    1 1/2 tsp chooped thyme leaves
    1 tsp grated lemon peel
    1/4 tsp pepper
    3 cups fresh cauliflower florets (1 lb)
    3 cups fresh broccoli

Heat 2 quarts of water to boiling
    Meanwhile in bowl stir~butter, chives, thyme, lemon peel, salt & pepper until blended
    Add cauliflower to boiling water cook 2 min.
    Add broccoli to boiling water cook 2 -3 minutes longer
    Drain
    Add mixture

Well that is about as good as it gets and good for you.

anyones neighbor
    Being facetious as I am, what kind of tool do I need to "choop" the thyme leaves?
    J/K

That sounds really good shortstuff. I have some cabbage I need to cook soon & I'm thinking sweet & sour. Colelaw with pineapple & marshmallows sound good too though. Hmmmmmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by anyones neighbor View Post
    Being facetious as I am, what kind of tool do I need to "choop" the thyme leaves?
    J/K

That sounds really good shortstuff. I have some cabbage I need to cook soon & I'm thinking sweet & sour. Colelaw with pineapple & marshmallows sound good too though. Hmmmmmmmm!
    Cute neighbor~~but that cabbage sweet & sour medley sounds great--marshmallows???OMG sounds decadent.

Oh yeah, you can buy them already diced (dried and prepared, the thyme can be bought fresh at Wegman's) go to Louie's on Main Street in Clarence and please check out their cookies and buy their homemade chicken soup. Believe me it is to die for.

anyones neighbor
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Cute neighbor~~but that cabbage sweet & sour medley sounds great--marshmallows???OMG sounds decadent.

Oh yeah, you can buy them already diced (dried and prepared, the thyme can be bought fresh at Wegman's) go to Louie's on Main Street in Clarence and please check out their cookies and buy their homemade chicken soup. Believe me it is to die for.
    Well my friend, being disabled, I ain't gettin to Clarence from Gowanda anytime in this century. Sounds good though. Wish I could. MY chicken noodle soup is to die for too. I always have it in the freezer in those 1 cup oleo containers. Makes for a quick lunch. I also have chili and bean in there right now. I'll never starve!

Well my friend, being disabled, I ain't gettin to Clarence from Gowanda anytime in this century. Sounds good though. Wish I could. MY chicken noodle soup is to die for too. I always have it in the freezer in those 1 cup oleo containers. Makes for a quick lunch. I also have chili and bean in there right now. I'll never starve!
    Sorry to hear that neighbor. I hope you have a harem of loving family and friends that help you out. You sound strong and with good humor.

Well I use alot of onions, celery, carrots and fresh parsley. Lot's of salt and pepper and crushed red pepper. Chicken of course.

What secret do you use in your soup?

anyones neighbor
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Sorry to hear that neighbor. I hope you have a harem of loving family and friends that help you out. You sound strong and with good humor.

Well I use alot of onions, celery, carrots and fresh parsley. Lot's of salt and pepper and crushed red pepper. Chicken of course.

What secret do you use in your soup?
    Don't be sorry & yes, I always have help when I need it. I still can drive, THANK GOD and many years ago my pulmonary doc said to me "you have a terminal disease. You can LIVE many many years with it, OR you can choose to disregard everything I've suggested and DIE sooner with it." That was in 1994. I'm still here so guess I'm doing something right eh?
    OH yes, my secret? Well I use everything you do except I use chicken base, LeGout if I can find it but usually the store brand. I get a big jar because I use it for most chicken dishes. Just the liquid from boiling a chicken isn't tasty enough for me and I also am limited to salt intake so have to be careful. I also use fresh ground pepper. To me, it's the best thing in the world and I use the multicolored peppercorns as well. Don't forget the noodles. Use tortellini once in awhile!
    OK my book is finished now, LOL!

Don't be sorry & yes, I always have help when I need it. I still can drive, THANK GOD and many years ago my pulmonary doc said to me "you have a terminal disease. You can LIVE many many years with it, OR you can choose to disregard everything I've suggested and DIE sooner with it." That was in 1994. I'm still here so guess I'm doing something right eh?
    OH yes, my secret? Well I use everything you do except I use chicken base, LeGout if I can find it but usually the store brand. I get a big jar because I use it for most chicken dishes. Just the liquid from boiling a chicken isn't tasty enough for me and I also am limited to salt intake so have to be careful. I also use fresh ground pepper. To me, it's the best thing in the world and I use the multicolored peppercorns as well. Don't forget the noodles. Use tortellini once in awhile!
    OK my book is finished now, LOL!
    Gee neighbor, God is giving you wisdom and strength to carry on. Keep moving and I wish you the best. Hmm, the LeGout never thought about that one.

I love salads and never never use bottled dressing for my salads. So here is the simpliest recipe for all to do. It is better for you and OOHHH it tastes so good that people have used this as their main course. Well especially when you want to add to it like chicken, fruit and such.

Purchase as your staple: Wegmans Olive Oil &
    Wegmans Apple Cider Vinegar

I use mixed greens, or romaine (I don't use head of lettace yuck)
    cuccumbers sliced in quarters
    radishes
    red onions (most times though I can't use this for some reason it does not get a long with me)
    season with salt, pepper, and a dash of garlic POWDER or use fresh garlic if you have time...
    a DASH of sugar

Start your olive oil from the center of the salad and go around until you come to the outer of the salad
    Sprinkle same thing with the vinegar
    AND TOSS

Secret though, do not do this until the last minute. Salads get soggy.

Someone let me know how you like it...

Forgot to add to the salad ingredients the best part!!!

Tomatoes of course. Love tomatoes!!!

Now for a nice appetizer:

slice tomatoes
    put on top and I have to get the right name for it, it is mozzerella but the one with the cheeses ummmmm it is the soft milder mozz
    drizzle all across the olive oil
    balsamic
    sprinkle on top basil

OMG the mozz makes the difference with the fresh tomatoes and basil.

Maple & Applesauce Carrots w/ candied Pecans

This one rocks everyone!!!

1 bag of baby carrots
    1 cup of applesauce
    1/2 cup real maple syrup
    2 tsps Dijon mustard
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tbs butter
    1 tbs sugar
    1 cup pecan halves

Heat 350 --11x7 glass baking pan (don't forget to spray)
    saucepan heat 1 inch water to boiling add carrots. Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 to 18 minutes or until crisp tender

Meanwhile in saucepan stir applesauce, syrup, mustard & cinnamon for 10 minutes over med. heat. Stir frequently until mixture bubbles. Drain carrots, place in baking dish pour syrup mixture evenly over carrots.

In small skillet, melt butter over low heat. Stir in sugar, add pecans, turn pecans several times to coat with sugar mixture.

Sprinkle over carrots.

Bake uncovered 20 to 22 minutes or until hot.

OMG trip over yourself and enjoy!!

Hate to say it shorty, but we don't seem to be as enthusiastic about salads and veggies as we are with all the bad for us stuff.

anyones neighbor
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Hate to say it shorty, but we don't seem to be as enthusiastic about salads and veggies as we are with all the bad for us stuff.
    Ain't that the truth? I'm making Pulled Pork right now in the crockpot with mac salad, deviled eggs & bluebarb pie. Not 1 calorie in the whole batch.

Ain't that the truth? I'm making Pulled Pork right now in the crockpot with mac salad, deviled eggs & bluebarb pie. Not 1 calorie in the whole batch.
    How do I get myself invited to dinner????
    Funny, I love pulled pork, but never tried to make it myself. It's not like I don't own a crock pot (or five!!)

anyones neighbor
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    How do I get myself invited to dinner????
    Funny, I love pulled pork, but never tried to make it myself. It's not like I don't own a crock pot (or five!!)
    It's quite easy to do too. I used a recipe for the BBQ sauce but some instructions just called for the bottled kind. I guess I like thing difficult! LOL
    This is really good sauce.
    Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 onions, finely chopped
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
    1 cup tomato-based chili sauce
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke (Didn't have any)
    1 boneless pork butt, trimmed of excess fat
    Kaiser or onion buns, halved and warmed
    Saute the onions & garlic till tender, add rest of ingredients & heat through. Add to meat & cook 10 hours on low! Use 2 forks to pull it apart when tender.

Thanks, that sounds fantastic!

A tip for making coleslaw- use Poppyseed dressing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information