Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegetables, Salads & Breads

Vege. Cacciatorrie (sp?)

I had a craving for this so I just threw everything together.

2 cans of diced tomatoes
    1 can of yams (include the juice)
    squash
    two cloves of garlic
    1 onion
    mushrooms
    potatoes
    1 can of spagetti sauce

Blended all together
    crushed red pepper (combination of this and the juice from the yams good blend)
    salt/pepper
    in a pan and baked it at 350 degrees for 2 hours, or until vege. are to your liking. (occasional you will need to add water to keep the consistency.)

I put the mixture when done over whole wheat angel hair pasta. Dash with parm cheese.

OMG great.

Now you can use the amount of vege. according to the number of people you are feeding..

That sounds super easy and actually, with the squash, yams, tomatoes, quite high in nutrition. Except maybe the yam juice if it's brown sugar based.

What kind of squash?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    That sounds super easy and actually, with the squash, yams, tomatoes, quite high in nutrition. Except maybe the yam juice if it's brown sugar based.

What kind of squash?
    Just your butternut, they actually have it all diced and packaged at Tops in the produce section. I noticed the yam juice was slightly over the cal's count, but the rest was perfect. We had it last night.

I also made an easy cake recipe with melted caramel and diced apples. A simple to task cake mix, cinn, diced apples, melt the caramel and swirl it. It was pretty good.

I was nesting yesterday for some reason.

Any eggs to show for that nesting????

Any eggs to show for that nesting????
    Wouldn't that depend of shortstuff's age?
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    You're too funny....

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    I give up my secret place to you, and you try to trap me like that????
    That's just wrong!!

Alright girls, I am confused now. I mean it really doesn't take much for me to be confused. I sure am now missing the humor..

I give up my secret place to you, and you try to trap me like that????
    And I admitted to eating tofu and lentils, so I think we're even
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

lol, ok, even!
    peace offering- cold lentil salad (good for lunch as it can sit out a long time) Also, pink lentils make this look appealing because of the red ingredients, tomato, peppers, vinegar, onions

Cold Lentil Salad
    Ingredients

* 2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
    * 3 1/2 cups water
    * 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    * 1/3 cup olive oil
    * 2 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 2 medium tomatoes or 1 14-ounce can tomatoes, drained and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    * 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    * 1 cucumber, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    * 1 small red onion, finely chopped
    * 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley

Directions
    Simmer the lentils and water and cook until the lentils are just tender, 30 to 45 minutes (depending on the age of the lentils). Drain them thouroughly, and let cool.

Put the vinegar, oilve oil, garlic, basic, salt and pepper in a jar. Cover with the lid and shake until the ingredients are well mixed.

Put the cooked lentils and the remaining ingredients into a salad bowl. Shake the vinegar mixture and pour it over the salad. Stir until well coated. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Test and adjust the seasonings and serve.

lol, ok, even!
    peace offering- cold lentil salad (good for lunch as it can sit out a long time) Also, pink lentils make this look appealing because of the red ingredients, tomato, peppers, vinegar, onions

Cold Lentil Salad
    Ingredients

* 2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
    * 3 1/2 cups water
    * 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    * 1/3 cup olive oil
    * 2 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 2 medium tomatoes or 1 14-ounce can tomatoes, drained and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    * 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    * 1 cucumber, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    * 1 small red onion, finely chopped
    * 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley

Directions
    Simmer the lentils and water and cook until the lentils are just tender, 30 to 45 minutes (depending on the age of the lentils). Drain them thouroughly, and let cool.

Put the vinegar, oilve oil, garlic, basic, salt and pepper in a jar. Cover with the lid and shake until the ingredients are well mixed.

Put the cooked lentils and the remaining ingredients into a salad bowl. Shake the vinegar mixture and pour it over the salad. Stir until well coated. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Test and adjust the seasonings and serve.
    WOW, I love this recipe Cookie, and can't wait to make this. The parsley idea is great. I do love to cook with parsley as well. I use fresh parsley in my chicken soup, when I make meatballs. Nice touch.

No soaking! Cooking lentils is somewhat more like cooking rice than legumes. There is usually a specific amount of liquid called for to cook them. You want the end result to be more firm and able to hold their shape. Mushy lentils = eeeeeewwwwwww!!

I have to admit, I don't always add fresh parsley when called for, although it's fairly important to this recipe, just like it is for tabbouleh.

No soaking! Cooking lentils is somewhat more like cooking rice than legumes. There is usually a specific amount of liquid called for to cook them. You want the end result to be more firm and able to hold their shape. Mushy lentils = eeeeeewwwwwww!!

I have to admit, I don't always add fresh parsley when called for, although it's fairly important to this recipe, just like it is for tabbouleh.
    Is it the split peas that get soaked then? I am reflecting on my grandmother's mantra about one of these getting a soaking.....memory it is getting less and less....

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    WOW, I love this recipe Cookie, and can't wait to make this. The parsley idea is great. I do love to cook with parsley as well. I use fresh parsley in my chicken soup, when I make meatballs. Nice touch.
    OK this parsley thing, I went to Linquini's last night for dinner, and in their salad was parsley. Let me tell you this was new, and I loved it!!! Don't go crazy putting it in your salad, just sprinkle some in with slivers of basil. Let me tell you, if I had to choose between a mashed potato and a salad, ladies it would be a salad hands down.

Now did I share with you a sicilian salad? Add to your salad ingredients, new potatoes. Boil, keep the skin on of course and slice it and add to your salad. It is really good. Trust me on this one..girls...

Spinach Salad

We went to Applebee's last night and they had a new salad. It was steak and spinach with basil and dijon vinagrette. Excellent.

fresh spinach
    sirloin steak sliced in slivers
    chopped peppers, onions, a touch of cilantro, diced tomatoes, basil
    new potatoes* diced
    tossed with dijon vinagrette

*the potatoes were marinated in butter or substitute butter and I didn't like it. They didn't need to marinate them, simply steam and toss.

The mixture was really good

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information