Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes

Coyotes

Any other southtowners have coyotes in your neighborhood?

2 years ago my dog was attacked behind our house. He's a 65lb hound so he gave better than he got, but he still got chewed up a touch.

There are dens throughout the woods in our neighborhood too.

It is currently denning/pup season so they are especially agressive towards pets and humans that venture out near their dens.

Unregistered
    Dont know about coyotes in the southtowns, but I recently spotted a coyote in my backyard on Grand Island.

I know they missed the playoffs, again, but I'd like to think that they'd have better things to do than attack dogs in people's back yards in western New York.
    Unless they're jealous of the Sabres so that's why they're hanging out in people's back yards here in Buffalo and creating a nuisance.
    Everything's about hockey now.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

I just got home after spending Easter in the rurals of Philadelphia and saw a red fox while walking.

Sometimes after going to Coyote Cafe my stomach becomes extremely aggressive too.

Unregistered
    I never gave it much thought but I let my dog out last night to go potty and when she came back in her ear was torn up and bleeding badly. It took a dozen stiches from the vet today. I thought she got wacked by a rabbit she has been chasing out of the yard every night. Maybe a coyote got in and got her. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by FJB
    I never gave it much thought but I let my dog out last night to go potty and when she came back in her ear was torn up and bleeding badly. It took a dozen stiches from the vet today. I thought she got wacked by a rabbit she has been chasing out of the yard every night. Maybe a coyote got in and got her. Food for thought.

After the incident with my dog I started looking into the "Coyote" thing. Apparently they are smart enough to follow your schedule. If you let your dog out at a certain time every night they are smart enough to wait around. They got a beagle in Eden or Elma a year or so ago that way.

What I found odd is that I was with my dog when this happened. The DEC website basically says that encounters are rare with medium sized dogs because the coyotes aren't willing to tangle with something their size. So not only did it go after my dog, but it sort of came after me too (I had a big stick I swung at it, it retreated but came after me immediately...my dog hammered it and never gave it a chance). The whole incident lasted maybe 2 minutes, but every time I'd call my dog towards me the coyote would continue towards us.
    2 of my neighbors watched from their kitchen window as their 3 cats were killed by a pack of Coyotes, and the County told me somebody else on the street lost a small dog to some a year prior.

The last time I saw one was about 2 months ago, but I hear them at least a couple times a week.

I've seen them

In Blasdell. There was one just off rt 5, and another off of Electric Ave. I called the one in near the tracks. They are all over the southern tier. DEC is denying it, but the locals where I hunt say there are big cats, mountain lions, brought in to kill off the coyotes. They, the coyotes, are doing a number on the fawns in the southern tier. I predict they will ultimately open season on them yr round to stop their population from expanding. It's too bad but they don't serve much purpose. Nuisance, similar to Nocturnal emission.
    They hate us till they need us.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    I just got home after spending Easter in the rurals of Philadelphia and saw a red fox while walking.

Reallly?
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    Sometimes after going to Coyote Cafe my stomach becomes extremely aggressive too.

Are you sure that's not your colon getting aggressive? That black bean soup can do a number on your intestinal fortitude

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    Steven and I saw one Sat night, just south of the GI Holiday Inn.

The estimated population of Coyotes in NY as per the NYSDEC estimates, is between 20,000 and 30,000 Coyotes.

Unregistered

Grand Island

Quote Originally Posted by goldfoxx16
    Are you sure that's not your colon getting aggressive? That black bean soup can do a number on your intestinal fortitude
    Good point.

Maybe I need more Corona to wash it down.

Evans coyotes

Since moving here in 2003, we have seen quite a few coyotes throughout the Evans - Brant area. Haven't see any coyote since last fall. Don't know why. Usually one crosses on the ice over here by the Evans Town Park. They are ugly and have such a weird gait! --I was surprised at their size, like the size of a low slung German shepherd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information