Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paladino up by 22 points in poll

Paladino up by 22 points in poll

Poll finds Paladino up big -- in WNY
    Sep 23, 2010 11:50:07 AM / Comment
    Western New York is Paladino country. We all know that, but a new poll suggests that if the election were limited to our region, Republican Carl Paladino would win big.

A new SurveyUSA poll released Wednesday found the Buffalo businessman with a 22-point lead -- 58 percent to 36 percent -- over Democrat Andrew Cuomo among likely voters in Western New York.

Paladino also can take some solace in knowing his wife, Cathy, can now vote for him.

Turns out Cathy Paladino is a registered Democrat, who couldn't vote for her husband in the Republican primary.

"They usually cancel each other out at the polls," Paladino spokesman Michael Caputo told the New York Daily News.

There is some good news for Cuomo.

The same poll that shows Paladino winning big here shows Cuomo leading 49 percent to 40 percent statewide.

The SurveyUSA poll of 572 likely voters was done on behalf of the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, WGRZ-TV in Buffalo and the Journal News in White Plains, Westchester County.

The margin of error is 4.2 percent.
    http://blogs.buffalonews.com/politic...olitics+Now%29

Why it's not 100% to 0% in this area is beyond me. Some people don't want Buffalo to have a seat at the table in Albany, I guess?
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

It isn't 100% because of all the parasites. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people living here who make their livings from the taxes paid by others.
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bioguy231 View Post
    It isn't 100% because of all the parasites. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people living here who make their livings from the taxes paid by others.
    True, I hadn't thought of that.

OK, those of us who live in Buffalo and want to make an honest living should vote for Paladino.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people living here who make their livings from the taxes paid by others.
    And, you're saying that Carl is not a guy who makes a living from the taxes paid by others, right?

And, I'm the dumb one, right.

You people are too ****ing funny.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    I agree.

Let's use a simple example to try and explain this.

Let’s say that 8 year old Charlie’s Mom and Dad both offer him an allowance.

Charlie’s Mom offers Charlie $20 a week to mow the grass, but Charlie will have to buy gas for the lawnmower himself which will cost Charlie about $2 a week.

Charlie’s Dad offers Charlie $20 a week to mow the grass but will charge Charlie $5 a week for gas related expenses, and will charge Charlie another $5 a week for expenses related to use of the lawnmower. Charlie’s Dad will then give the $10 he receives from Charlie to Charlie’s sister who claims she can’t mow the grass because of a grass allergy.

Which deal should Charlie take?

(Answer: Charlie will take his Dad’s offer because Charlie is a Democrat and because Charlie’s sister is entitled to get the same money as Charlie gets)
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

And, you're saying that Carl is not a guy who makes a living from the taxes paid by others, right?

And, I'm the dumb one, right.

You act like that $10 million he gets is 100% profit! Did you not read that Carl is actually renting to the state at BELOW market value? He's actually saving you money!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    You act like that $10 million he gets is 100% profit!
    Had I said "Carl is profiting $10 Million a year from the State," then you would have a point about my naivete. But, I never mentioned the number, and, no, I don't expect it to be 100% profit.

Regardless, BioGuy was trying to prove a point, that people who profit from the State don't have its best interests in mind. I pointed out that BioGuy was right.

Did you not read that Carl is actually renting to the state at BELOW market value? He's actually saving you money!
    Dougles, I used to slam you pretty frequently, but you've quietly gained my respect over the past few months. You've grown on me, and I think you're a smart (albeit misguided) kid.

However, if you really believe, that Carl is actually "saving us money," then I need to rethink my opinion of you.

Jesus Dougles, just vote for Cuomo and be done with it.

NYS is doing just fine.

The government here is effective and appropriately sized -Don't worry about it.

What we really need is no change at all.

I wonder if I keep saying it if I will eventually believe it.

Had I said "Carl is profiting $10 Million a year from the State," then you would have a point about my naivete. But, I never mentioned the number, and, no, I don't expect it to be 100% profit.

Regardless, BioGuy was trying to prove a point, that people who profit from the State don't have its best interests in mind. I pointed out that BioGuy was right.

Dougles, I used to slam you pretty frequently, but you've quietly gained my respect over the past few months. You've grown on me, and I think you're a smart (albeit misguided) kid.

However, if you really believe, that Carl is actually "saving us money," then I need to rethink my opinion of you.
    Actually, Dougles is absolutely right. If Carl didn't rent space to the government, someone else would, and the government might have to pay a higher per square footage rate since they are currently paying below market rates. And, in addition to paying below market rates, the government gets an additional discount. Carl runs a very profitable enterprise and so for any profit he makes from rent, the state gets 9.875% back in the form of income tax and the federal government gets 35% back. Next year it looks like the federal rate will jump to 39.6% for someone like Carl. If the government was renting from someone not as profitable as Carl, they'd get back less in taxes and if they rented from an organization that wasn't profitable they wouldn't get anything back. In the case of the state, if they rent from an out of state Realtor, they'd actually be subsidizing another state.

Face it, the state needs to rent a certain amount of space and renting it from Carl is a bargain.

In this case, Carl isn't taking advantage of the government. If he didn't rent space to the government he'd rent it to someone else. Or, even worse, he might not have ever developed the space to begin with and we'd have even more empty buildings and vacant properties sitting around. As someone who is completely in favor of preservation and urban development, I am completely happy with the arrangements Carl and the government have worked out.

I've done development and preservation myself and I can tell you it's very very expensive, largely because of the money that goes to the government.

You mean like Carl Paladino?

Even though Doug presented a clear case for how Carl saves the taxpayer money.

I'm sure he will re evaluate his opinion on this as I'm sure that a favorable opinion from therising has always been one of his life, long goals.
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan2009 View Post
    http://blogs.buffalonews.com/politic...olitics+Now%29

Why it's not 100% to 0% in this area is beyond me. Some people don't want Buffalo to have a seat at the table in Albany, I guess?
    Or perhaps because there are some people in WNY who are Mensa members and who don't simply vote for a candidate because he is from the the same 'hood.

Actually, Dougles is absolutely right. If Carl didn't rent space to the government, someone else would, and the government might have to pay a higher per square footage rate since they are currently paying below market rates. And, in addition to paying below market rates, the government gets an additional discount. Carl runs a very profitable enterprise and so for any profit he makes from rent, the state gets 9.875% back in the form of income tax and the federal government gets 35% back. Next year it looks like the federal rate will jump to 39.6% for someone like Carl. If the government was renting from someone not as profitable as Carl, they'd get back less in taxes and if they rented from an organization that wasn't profitable they wouldn't get anything back. In the case of the state, if they rent from an out of state Realtor, they'd actually be subsidizing another state.

Face it, the state needs to rent a certain amount of space and renting it from Carl is a bargain.

In this case, Carl isn't taking advantage of the government. If he didn't rent space to the government he'd rent it to someone else. Or, even worse, he might not have ever developed the space to begin with and we'd have even more empty buildings and vacant properties sitting around. As someone who is completely in favor of preservation and urban development, I am completely happy with the arrangements Carl and the government have worked out.

I've done development and preservation myself and I can tell you it's very very expensive, largely because of the money that goes to the government.
    So, your logic says....we should all appreciate the fact that Carl charged the State the lowest amount of rent (and, I'm sure you're very familiar with GSA bidding,)....because, since he's the lowest bidder, the State now pays him so much money, that we should, again, be grateful, because Carl, then turns around and pays more in State taxes...?

Do I have that right?

And, if that State, instead, rented from an out of State Realtor (cause I guess Realtors own property, right?) then that out of State Realtor wouldn't pay NYS Taxes, right??

Seeing that you have actually done preservation and development, I see that you're very familiar with how these things work, huh?

Just for record -- I have no problem with Carl, as a landlord. And, I have to give a guy credit when he's ballsy enough to try to be CEO of an organization which pays him so much money. The thing that really scares me, is that people are no naive as to not see conflict.

If I make promises I can't keep, will you vote for me as well?

First, the TU's has run 2 stories about Carl's leases, both of which have the OGS Commissioner John Egan saying "I would say he has been a good landlord. His rates are below average."

So in other words, if the Seneca group or the Plaza group would have won the bids, they would have costed us, the tax payer, MORE. Yes, according to the Dem's in Albany, Carl is already saving the tax payer money.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...ses-668951.php
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information