Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber Roofing

Rubber Roofing

Anyone out there ever have a roof with EPDM (rubber roofing) ? According to the mfr, it is seamless and will withstand the ranges of temperatures we have here in WNY. Our main problem is ice dams which build up in the winter causing our existing composition roof to leak when the ice backs up. The slope of the roof is about 3/12 (3"/12") so the snow and ice just sits there and alterntely melts and freezes when the sun hits the roof.

Any comments appreciated, especially if there are any maintenence issues.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Even with rubber, you'll still get ice dams. The rubber will prevent the ice from getting under your shingles and causing water damage in the house, but you still will form icicles which will damage your gutters. You really should add more insulation to your attic and make sure you have good ventilation in the attic.
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

go with steel roofing. www.decra.com This is what i put on my house last year.

i have one

I have one portion of my house with a flat roof (1"/12") my rubber roof is over 1/4 inch thick so it can be walked on. the seams are glued and heat sealed when installed .after the roof is inplace it is covered with a special paint (heavy gray paint with a quart can of powdered zinc mixed in) my roof is now 15 years old and still in great shape. the only problem I have had is where it meets the wall of my house. I have had to reseal that portion a few times with tar
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Thanks for the info :
    special paint (heavy gray paint with a quart can of powdered zinc mixed in)
    I've seen up to .090" advertised and 1/4" is a lot thicker than that. Did they suggest 1/4" in order to walk on it ? Why did they use the gray paint ? Is is required ?

Also I know it won't stop the ice dams; I just want to stop the leaks.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Do all rubber roofs get this paint coating? We have a small section of rubber roofing. I was never told it should be painted.

Rubber roofing is the way to go for flat roofs (IMO they should be made against code in NYS). I had one put on my back porch about 3 years ago after trying everything possible to stop the leaks. I have not had any problems since. I don't know much about it except the name of the contractor, Barber Construction, out of Westfield, NY who installed it. I highly recommend the him.

If you know someone who knows what he's doing (ie, what to buy), it can be a DIY project. Basically, the idea is to glue down 1 or more pieces of rubber and waterproof any seems. If you have them installed professionally, the roofs usually come with a 20 year warranty, and generally outlast the warranty as long as you don't puncture them.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Do all rubber roofs get this paint coating? We have a small section of rubber roofing. I was never told it should be painted.
    I was never told it had to be painted, either. As far as I know, it's maintenance free for life like vinyl or aluminum siding.

Dont they use a torch to melt that stuff down?? I wouldnt suggest doing it yourself. There was a story recently about someones house catching on fire from the torch of a contractor applying rubber roofing. If they can mess that up then I think it might not be a good idea for Wally Weekender to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    Dont they use a torch to melt that stuff down?? I wouldnt suggest doing it yourself. There was a story recently about someones house catching on fire from the torch of a contractor applying rubber roofing. If they can mess that up then I think it might not be a good idea for Wally Weekender to try it.
    They didn't use a torch on my roof. They used some kind of epoxy or something similar.

A friend of mine and his BIL, a contractor, put one up on his house in a weekend. He's the one who convinced me to look at rubber roofs.

Maybe the contractor was using a torch to loosen old roofing material?

There's something they use on flat commercial roofs that requires some kind of heat. Is that asphalt roofing?

mine is used for sun bathing

My wife wanted privacy while sunbathing this flat roof is between the main house and a two story garage addition. the extra thickness was for walking on and her chaise lounge. the zinc paint is to protect the rubber from foot traffic. even had to paint the house with white paint so the sun would reflect right for her.
    a torch is used on the seams when the weather is to low for the glue to seal right. it needs 70 or above to set quick enough to hold
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    go with steel roofing. www.decra.com This is what i put on my house last year.
    that looks interesting
    seems like it would reduce the heat transfering into an attic from the sun too
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    that looks interesting
    seems like it would reduce the heat transfering into an attic from the sun too
    It does quite a bit. 150 mph wind resistance and 50 year warranty. Best thing is that it's screwed down so it's removable and reusable. I plan on building an addition and I'd like to not waste all of the roofing that I just put down. Fortunately, each 'shingle' is held down by 4 screws, and then can be removed and reused.

Steel roofing

How much would it cost for steel roofing for a 10' x 20' section with a 3/12 slope ? Is it as good for water resistance as rubber roofing or does it have seams ?

I was also thinking that the zinc paint that grandpabob used may help reflect heat and keep it cooler inside. (Because black is the absolute best color for absorption of heat) . . . . which is not a good thing.

Oh, a 3 pitch is too shallow for this type of roofing. They recommend > 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information