Thread: Is Working Full Time with Kids in Daycare Actually EASIER Than Working Part Time?

Is Working Full Time with Kids in Daycare Actually EASIER Than Working Part Time?

Is Working Full Time (9 to 5) with Kids in Daycare Actually EASIER Than Working Part Time?

I've started to ask myself this question. Since having kids I've always worked part time and relied on my in laws to babysit a few days or nights a week. My husband works an odd rotating schedule so I always figured that part time for me was a better way to better accommodate his schedule and that by having my in laws babysit we were saving money on daycare, etc. I've also picked up a few "work from home" assignments to supplement my income, but trying to work from home while simultaneously tending to your children is IMPOSSIBLE (long story.)

Now however, I'm staring to almost envy married couples who both work nine to five and have kids in daycare all day.

Yes, there will inevitably be some gasping at my saying that, but here are my points:

The couples who work nine to five with kids in daycare have a SET SCHEDULE and often have their EVENINGS AND WEEKENDS FREE TO SPEND TIME TOGETHER.

Couples who have one parent working part time and/or odd shifts often have strange ERRATIC SCHEDULES and LOSE THEIR EVENING AND WEEKEND TIME TOGETHER.

Kids who go to daycare are at least cared for and entertained all day with a set schedule of activities, etc.

Kids who stay home some times and are bounced between part time babysitters other times are exposed to erratic schedules and often get bored and or whiny. Add an even worse factor if the parent "works from home" where the parent has to ignore the children to get work done!

Daycare centers don't give you attitude or act passive aggressive about the fact that they have to watch your kids because THAT IS THEIR JOB and THEY ARE PAID FOR IT. Furthermore, the kids at daycare centers are supervised all day and have people watching and caring for them, because THE STATE WOULD SHUT THEM DOWN IF THEY DID NOT.

Relatives or friends however often give you a little bit of passive aggressive attitude for "having" to watch your kids on a regular basis, although they will never come right out and admit it. Also, relatives or friends often will let your kids run around their house unsupervised and you will never know this because they will never tell you unless you find out under the radar.

Married couples who work full time nine to five jobs have steadier sources of income and even if daycare is pricey, they are able to afford it.

Married couples who work rotating shifts and/or part time means that one parent is likely making inconsistent income and if they want to enroll a kid in a daycare, if they can afford it, often times the daycare centers are not as accommodating for people who need only part time childcare.

Those are just a few of my observations, etc.

What do you think? Feel free to agree or disagree with me.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Well, what a situation! Girl, you are ~~~and I will say this with kindness~~NOT superwomen. Husband's wake up!!!! This is something I know allot about. You did answer all your concerns and questions quite nicely actually.

Yes, consistency is the key word here. Adults like consistency as well. If the parents are off schedule, so are the children. Putting them in daycare from 9 - 5 is the best solution. 90% of daycare centers are fine. Rotating schedules are a nightmare!!!!!! Been there and done that.

Children are flexible to a point. Consistency helps with controlling behaviors because children are inherently routinal (sp). If you can change your schedule to reflect that, the sooner the better. One key componet, don't use your husband's schedule to determine you/the children and the routine's at home.

In-laws, your own family members and friends used as part of this componet, OMG you are asking for trouble 101. Especially in-laws, they don't appreciate the value of what {you} are doing with the children. I would eliminate them asap.

I think you have a grasp on the situation~~go part time and do what's right for your family. Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Well, what a situation! Girl, you are ~~~and I will say this with kindness~~NOT superwomen. Husband's wake up!!!! This is something I know allot about. You did answer all your concerns and questions quite nicely actually.

Yes, consistency is the key word here. Adults like consistency as well. If the parents are off schedule, so are the children. Putting them in daycare from 9 - 5 is the best solution. 90% of daycare centers are fine. Rotating schedules are a nightmare!!!!!! Been there and done that.

Children are flexible to a point. Consistency helps with controlling behaviors because children are inherently routinal (sp). If you can change your schedule to reflect that, the sooner the better. One key componet, don't use your husband's schedule to determine you/the children and the routine's at home.

In-laws, your own family members and friends used as part of this componet, OMG you are asking for trouble 101. Especially in-laws, they don't appreciate the value of what {you} are doing with the children. I would eliminate them asap.

I think you have a grasp on the situation~~go part time and do what's right for your family. Good Luck!!
    True, ya can't win no matter what. And you are RIGHT about the passive aggressive relatives and friends
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Achbek - You've got a PM.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    Achbek - You've got a PM.
    Thanks

Just make sure the job is worth the cost of daycare. There are really some excellent daycares around but they are rather expensive. Some even have a camera set up so you can check on them from a computer.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Daycare is less than ideal anyway you look at it.

The question that I pose to people if you want children and it is necessary to do daycare.. why would you bring children in the world to be raised by someone else?

As far your plight is concerned, that's a really tough call. I have my kids watched by a relative that we pay,, best of both worlds,, all the information I have read says that there is no social benefit to daycare with young kids. I don't miss the sickness every 2-3 weeks.

Working part time is best IMHO if you can swing it.

Thanks again everyone. I'm actually finding more full time jobs that I might be qualified for, but my childcare, etc. situation only lets me work part time for now.

*Sigh*

Still looking

Thread Information