Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Advice for "Career Changers?"

Question Any Advice for "Career Changers?"

Has anyone here ever successfully changed careers?

If so, how did you handle it? What did you say in the interviews? How did you successfully "tweak" your cover letters and resumes?

Also, if in the course of changing careers you were called "overqualified" or inappropriately qualified, how did you handle that? Did you stress your desire to start something new and/or your "transferable skills?"

It's a ridiculously DIFFICULT job market out there right now. I've been in, let's just say, "unusual and specialized social science" fields of work that are faced by downsizing and layoffs and now I'm in another "social science" field with no potential for immediate growth.

I'd like to get back into the "regular" business world if I can, where there's more stability and potential for growth.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1 View Post

If so, how did you handle it? What did you say in the interviews? How did you successfully "tweak" your cover letters and resumes?

Also, if in the course of changing careers you were called "overqualified" or inappropriately qualified, how did you handle that? Did you stress your desire to start something new and/or your "transferable skills?"

It's a ridiculously DIFFICULT job market out there right now. I've been in, let's just say, "unusual and specialized social science" fields of work that are faced by downsizing and layoffs and now I'm in another "social science" field with no potential for immediate growth.

I'd like to get back into the "regular" business world if I can, where there's more stability and potential for growth.
    I went from junior high science teacher to computer programmer in my 30s. I took classes while still teaching and I got some hands on experience by taking on computer lab instruction at one of the schools where I worked. Then I took a job as a trainer in computer software/microcomputer equipment. I took a civil service job and moved to Albany to get an actual programming job. I then parlayed my programming experience into a position back here in WNY. I work with an organization that provides IT support to colleges.

I think the first step is to tailor your resume to your new career. Employers won't care that you did x, y, and z at your previous job and m and n at the one before that unless those accomplishments point to something that is applicable to your new career. If you're applying for a management position, and you supervised employees or organized something, then stress that, not that you wrote grants. It may be that you simply list your employers and dates of employment and include a very general statement of your job.

For interviewers who think you are overqualified, you should stress that you are not looking for a starting salary level that your education and experience might qualify you for, but are willing to take less to get the opportunity to break into a new field.

For being "inappropriately qualified", you should figure out how you can show that your qualifications can be applied to your new career or compensate for your shortcomings. Being a teacher might be "strange" career training for a computer programmer but literate "tekkies" who can write well and speak articulately before a group were rare birds when I started in IT. To some extent, they still are not all that common, although much more than they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    I went from junior high science teacher to computer programmer in my 30s. I took classes while still teaching and I got some hands on experience by taking on computer lab instruction at one of the schools where I worked. Then I took a job as a trainer in computer software/microcomputer equipment. I took a civil service job and moved to Albany to get an actual programming job. I then parlayed my programming experience into a position back here in WNY. I work with an organization that provides IT support to colleges.

I think the first step is to tailor your resume to your new career. Employers won't care that you did x, y, and z at your previous job and m and n at the one before that unless those accomplishments point to something that is applicable to your new career. If you're applying for a management position, and you supervised employees or organized something, then stress that, not that you wrote grants. It may be that you simply list your employers and dates of employment and include a very general statement of your job.

For interviewers who think you are overqualified, you should stress that you are not looking for a starting salary level that your education and experience might qualify you for, but are willing to take less to get the opportunity to break into a new field.

For being "inappropriately qualified", you should figure out how you can show that your qualifications can be applied to your new career or compensate for your shortcomings. Being a teacher might be "strange" career training for a computer programmer but literate "tekkies" who can write well and speak articulately before a group were rare birds when I started in IT. To some extent, they still are not all that common, although much more than they used to be.
    Thanks Linda. Some people have actually told me that I should not mention my master's degree or downplay my experience to get a better chance at an entry level or mid level job, but that sounds too unethical and depressing to me. I'm hoping that some place will give me a chance with a "foot in the door" job where I can work my way up while gaining new skills, etc. Yes, I've done social science stuff, nonprofit stuff and teaching stuff... But those areas have me pigeonholed as overqualified yet they haven't given me as much of the basic and regular office and business skills as I'd like.

Right now I'm looking for part time work because of family obligations, etc. but I'd happily take an "administrative assistant" job or whatnot. I'm not looking to climb the ladder or be a big head honcho right now. I just need "honest work for honest pay" right now. And I need it in a field that is safe and secure and more "general," such as the business world. I'm in my mid 30s now and I still have 30 more years of working ahead of me! I need to get into something with more stability, preferably in a field that will still be here 30 years from now
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

I believe the June or July issue of Money Magazine highlighted the 50 top professions to get into based on percent growth, pay, stress, benefit to society. etc.

It would be foolish in my opinion to undertake any change in profession without doing that type of research. I have made career changes based on similar criteria.

That's part of the problem with the specialized "la dee da" or social science types of degrees... They are just not as "practical."

Those of us who got these frivolous degrees back in the day were starry-eyed college kids who thought that taking English, Philosophy, Communications, Literature, Creative Studies, Sociology, etc. was going to glamorous and exciting... We weren't thinking about the future when we'd be 35 with two kids and a mortgage and credit card bills and student loans.

However people with the more practical degrees such as business, accounting, medical-related fields, computer science, etc. are more likely to have access to stable careers where if the company where they are working does close or lay off, they can easily transfer over to another company.

I'm still hitting myself for not being more practical in my schooling. If I had studied business, medical information, etc. I could be much more stable now. Or heck if I even woulda stuck with retail I could maybe even be mid level retail management by now.

That's part of the problem with the specialized "la dee da" or social science types of degrees... They are just not as "practical."

Those of us who got these frivolous degrees back in the day were starry-eyed college kids who thought that taking English, Philosophy, Communications, Literature, Creative Studies, Sociology, etc. was going to glamorous and exciting... We weren't thinking about the future when we'd be 35 with two kids and a mortgage and credit card bills and student loans.

However people with the more practical degrees such as business, accounting, medical-related fields, computer science, etc. are more likely to have access to stable careers where if the company where they are working does close or lay off, they can easily transfer over to another company.

I'm still hitting myself for not being more practical in my schooling. If I had studied business, medical information, etc. I could be much more stable now. Or heck if I even woulda stuck with retail I could maybe even be mid level retail management by now.

It's not totally your fault, Americans have gotten a very lazy over a few generations.

When I was in school in most of my classmates were lazy, the asian kids were the ones in engineering, medicine etc. etc. Party now worry about a job later.

Are you against traveling?

That's sometimes true and sometimes not. Many IT people I know are finding themselves in trouble because they haven't kept their skills up or because they've followed a career path that led down a dead-end. I'm sure that folks in banking who specialize in mortgages are sweating bullets right now, especially if they work for HSBC's mortgage sector.

If you are interested in getting an admin assistant position, I'd recommend taking courses in WORD and EXCEL at ECC or NCCC. While a student, buy MS OFFICE through the bookstore (it's a major,major savings), and use them both until you're proficient in them. I think the courses are probably offered through their Continuing Ed/Credit Free course offerings (which don't cost a lot and don't take a long time), and proficiency in those is a good way to convince employers that you're serious.

I would definitely NOT omit the Masters degree if you're listing your education. You might decide to leave off your education completely, but don't leave off part of it. If you get a job and your employer finds out that you left part of your education off, he/she might feel you lied to him/her.

The same with your experience. If you feel that it makes you less employable in a new career, then trim the details and just leave it as:
    1999-2001 AAL Organization Counselor
    2001-2005 XYZ Organization Program Manager

Just a couple of thoughts and suggestions:

I have changed careers more than once. Take your resume and go over it carefully with a mind towards your new career. Carefully omit the parts that are not relevant to the new career (all except college degrees and any business experience)(sometimes what you might omit at first glance can be included when put in context of the new career). Add anything that was not relevant before but is relevant to the new career including experience.

Any degree is relevant, even if it has nothing to do with the new career. A Bachelors degree in anything is far better than no degree at all. Study all you can in reference to the new career. Take classes, even volunteer for the experience. Study up on whatever company you would like to gain employment with. Taylor your interview to telling said company how you can help them make their business better if they hire you. Be specific regarding your talents and strengths.

Good luck and I hope things go well!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    That's sometimes true and sometimes not. Many IT people I know are finding themselves in trouble because they haven't kept their skills up or because they've followed a career path that led down a dead-end. I'm sure that folks in banking who specialize in mortgages are sweating bullets right now, especially if they work for HSBC's mortgage sector.

If you are interested in getting an admin assistant position, I'd recommend taking courses in WORD and EXCEL at ECC or NCCC. While a student, buy MS OFFICE through the bookstore (it's a major,major savings), and use them both until you're proficient in them. I think the courses are probably offered through their Continuing Ed/Credit Free course offerings (which don't cost a lot and don't take a long time), and proficiency in those is a good way to convince employers that you're serious.

I would definitely NOT omit the Masters degree if you're listing your education. You might decide to leave off your education completely, but don't leave off part of it. If you get a job and your employer finds out that you left part of your education off, he/she might feel you lied to him/her.

The same with your experience. If you feel that it makes you less employable in a new career, then trim the details and just leave it as:
    1999-2001 AAL Organization Counselor
    2001-2005 XYZ Organization Program Manager
    Thanks. I actually called the Western New York Workforce Development center that offers classes (in partnership with BOCES, etc.) http://wnywdc.com/ The lady on the phone told me, in a very upset way, that it's "still all up in the air with the New York State budget." The fall course schedule is still not posted! They are not sure if they will even do it?! That sucks because I signed up for a bunch of free classes when I was first laid off years ago and they were great. They offer Word, Excel, etc. and the classes are free and, in most cases, open to everyone.

Let's hope they are still doing them in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts and suggestions:

I have changed careers more than once. Take your resume and go over it carefully with a mind towards your new career. Carefully omit the parts that are not relevant to the new career (all except college degrees and any business experience)(sometimes what you might omit at first glance can be included when put in context of the new career). Add anything that was not relevant before but is relevant to the new career including experience.

Any degree is relevant, even if it has nothing to do with the new career. A Bachelors degree in anything is far better than no degree at all. Study all you can in reference to the new career. Take classes, even volunteer for the experience. Study up on whatever company you would like to gain employment with. Taylor your interview to telling said company how you can help them make their business better if they hire you. Be specific regarding your talents and strengths.

Good luck and I hope things go well!
    Thanks!

I realize this is not exactly a helpful opinion, but any interviewer who denies you a job because you're "overqualified" ought to be resoundly slapped about the face with a wet fish.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

I *actually* agree with Mindcrime... imagine that....

Over qualified my ass, is another way of saying ; we are only seeing how low we can actually go as far as paying someone peanuts, how many peanuts do you want, 3 or 4?

When you are in a position for a job, and you need the job, with 1000 other people looking at the same job you need to set yourself apart.

I was once in this position. it sucked. I was arguing my case against 380 other folks...

I said 'look, hear me out' O explained my story, what I needed and how it is. I left out the emotional bull**** and laid down the law...

My situation was a bit different than yours, however you need make yourself stand out. your education, eh, in my line of work, makes good conversation over coffee, and thats about it..

thing is, you need a job, and while you have a nice resume, so do 3 million other people. what makes you different? what makes you better?

let the inteviewer know, you are different, be real. no bs, make yourself stick in his mind, be that one person that he thinks of when he is driving home in his new bmw...
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

The issue of being overqualified is not so much the problem, as it is of overcompetition. Whilke your Masters degree might be good, you are competing for the same job against people with PHD's! Its been a horrible market these past few years trying to find amployment in your original field, let alone trying to break into a new career path.

Thanks again everyone

I read a study done by UB recently where they document that the WNY area is full of people with advanced degrees, masters and PhDs, and not enough openings or jobs that require such degrees.

I've heard there are people with JDs doing retail, people with Masters in Engineering working at GEICO, people with PhDs in English working at Yankee Candle, etc.

Yeah, I'm at a point in my life where I no longer care about impressing anyone, I just want stability and a stable paycheck. My background doesn't make me that qualified for insurance, medical, accounting, etc. fields so I'm stuck. That's why I'm thinking marketing or some other kind of "basic" business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information