Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Advice for "Career Changers?"

Quote Originally Posted by SafeWNY View Post
    Are you against traveling?
    That's another disadvantage I have. With kids and my husband's schedule, I'm not in a position to travel... Plus, I'm not a fan of driving long distances
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    I *actually* agree with Mindcrime... imagine that....

Over qualified my ass, is another way of saying ; we are only seeing how low we can actually go as far as paying someone peanuts, how many peanuts do you want, 3 or 4?

When you are in a position for a job, and you need the job, with 1000 other people looking at the same job you need to set yourself apart.

I was once in this position. it sucked. I was arguing my case against 380 other folks...

I said 'look, hear me out' O explained my story, what I needed and how it is. I left out the emotional bull**** and laid down the law...

My situation was a bit different than yours, however you need make yourself stand out. your education, eh, in my line of work, makes good conversation over coffee, and thats about it..

thing is, you need a job, and while you have a nice resume, so do 3 million other people. what makes you different? what makes you better?

let the inteviewer know, you are different, be real. no bs, make yourself stick in his mind, be that one person that he thinks of when he is driving home in his new bmw...
    Good points. Plus, what the older and "overqualified" folks have going for them is "maturity." Wouldn't employers like that? Even if I seem overqualified, at least I'm over 35 and more "seasoned" so wouldn't someone like that be a better choice than a gum cracking 19 year old who is gonna spend the whole shift texting her boyfriend, twirling her hair and sneaking out early to go partying?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1 View Post
    Thanks again everyone

I read a study done by UB recently where they document that the WNY area is full of people with advanced degrees, masters and PhDs, and not enough openings or jobs that require such degrees.

I've heard there are people with JDs doing retail, people with Masters in Engineering working at GEICO, people with PhDs in English working at Yankee Candle, etc.

Yeah, I'm at a point in my life where I no longer care about impressing anyone, I just want stability and a stable paycheck. My background doesn't make me that qualified for insurance, medical, accounting, etc. fields so I'm stuck. That's why I'm thinking marketing or some other kind of "basic" business.
    Many people get advanced degrees with the idea of going into college teaching rather than with the idea of going out into the workplace in their field. The result is that they get their degrees but don't have the experience to match the degree. Especially, in WNY, employers want to see experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    Many people get advanced degrees with the idea of going into college teaching rather than with the idea of going out into the workplace in their field. The result is that they get their degrees but don't have the experience to match the degree. Especially, in WNY, employers want to see experience.
    Good points Linda. It's kind of a vicious cycle. When I was in grad school I did see a lot of people who were the ubiquitous "perpetual student" types who were working on their third of fourth masters degrees but who had yet to take on a "real" job. It's kind of sad and kind of ironic. These people often had an air of pretentiousness and superiority about them because they were "so educated and cultured" and they looked down their noses at the guy who worked at the pizza counter-- when in reality the guy working at the pizza counter was gaining more "real world" work experience and probably better off in the long run. Then ten years later the pizza guy would be in less debt, would be maybe in a middle or upper management position and would be happily living his life. The PHD kids would be in debt and resting on their laurels trying to get teaching or freelance jobs while hanging out in coffee shops or living in their parents' basements.

That's another disadvantage I have. With kids and my husband's schedule, I'm not in a position to travel... Plus, I'm not a fan of driving long distances
    Fair enough

One thing you should do is put together a strong list of people you can use as references. Former supervisors who may be well known in the community are great references.

If you get an interview and do well, having a name that the interviewer might recognize as a reference can tip the scales your way.

Everyone has great ideas to give. I believe that with the changing of times, career changes are part of that. Employers understand that people are changing due to closure of companies, family dynamics that require more money to support the family and also demographics.

Never downplay your degrees. It is not proper protocal. However, you should change your resume to reflect the particular job you are applying for. Which means you should have a few resume's that reflect different job market applications.

Be honest. When you are in the interview, look them straight in the eyes and state what you want. YOur salary requirements at the end of the day will be one of the key factors. Don't aim too high and don't aim too low.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Everyone has great ideas to give. I believe that with the changing of times, career changes are part of that. Employers understand that people are changing due to closure of companies, family dynamics that require more money to support the family and also demographics.

Never downplay your degrees. It is not proper protocal. However, you should change your resume to reflect the particular job you are applying for. Which means you should have a few resume's that reflect different job market applications.

Be honest. When you are in the interview, look them straight in the eyes and state what you want. YOur salary requirements at the end of the day will be one of the key factors. Don't aim too high and don't aim too low.

Good Luck.
    Thanks. I'd be willing to take a pay cut in exchange for a set schedule and stability.

Thanks. I'd be willing to take a pay cut in exchange for a set schedule and stability.
    I agree, sometimes the money part isn't enough. It is the family dynamics that come to the forefront.

The right job will come along that will meet both your family needs and your needs. It will involve a bit of creativity. In an interview, the one that stands out is the one that comes back for a second interview.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I agree, sometimes the money part isn't enough. It is the family dynamics that come to the forefront.

The right job will come along that will meet both your family needs and your needs. It will involve a bit of creativity. In an interview, the one that stands out is the one that comes back for a second interview.

Good luck.
    Thanks

Thanks. I actually called the Western New York Workforce Development center that offers classes (in partnership with BOCES, etc.) http://wnywdc.com/ The lady on the phone told me, in a very upset way, that it's "still all up in the air with the New York State budget." The fall course schedule is still not posted! They are not sure if they will even do it?! That sucks because I signed up for a bunch of free classes when I was first laid off years ago and they were great. They offer Word, Excel, etc. and the classes are free and, in most cases, open to everyone.

Let's hope they are still doing them in the fall.
    I'm familiar with the WDC and their budget really is up in the air. Part of the problem is cuts in NYS and part is cuts in federal funding. It's interesting that all of our elected officials are TALKING JOBS but when push comes to shove, funding programs to help CREATE JOBS takes a back seat to their special interest buddies.

A word of advice, when interviewing always remember that personality is probably the biggest thing a potential employer is going to look at. You can train people to do a new job but it's almost impossible to train them not to be a lazy butthead. If you come across as bright, pleasant, likable, hardworking, and enthusiastic you'll be way ahead of your competition.
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bioguy231 View Post
    I'm familiar with the WDC and their budget really is up in the air. Part of the problem is cuts in NYS and part is cuts in federal funding. It's interesting that all of our elected officials are TALKING JOBS but when push comes to shove, funding programs to help CREATE JOBS takes a back seat to their special interest buddies.

A word of advice, when interviewing always remember that personality is probably the biggest thing a potential employer is going to look at. You can train people to do a new job but it's almost impossible to train them not to be a lazy butthead. If you come across as bright, pleasant, likable, hardworking, and enthusiastic you'll be way ahead of your competition.
    Thanks, you are correct. You do need to put all the negativity and nervousness and self doubt out of your mind and try to act positive in an interview...

That's part of the problem though. When you've been through the wringer with work, layoffs, etc. it's hard to sound bright and perky and likable during an interview. I did interview for a job a few months back that did require an advanced degree and was more in line with my career goals, etc. I was so, admittedly, spazzy and nervous during the interview. And let me tell ya, when I'm nervous my voice gets either really high and tight like Minnie Mouse or reeeeealy low and deep like Lauren Bacall LOL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information