Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth Bureau seeking summer food sites

Youth Bureau seeking summer food sites

NIAGARA FALLS — The Niagara County Youth Bureau is trying to recruit sites to offer the federally funded Summer Food Service Program this year. The deadline for operators of summer day camps and youth programs to express interest is Friday.

The program is a summer replacement for the school lunch program and provides free meals to children whose families meet the income guidelines. The program will be offered from June 25 to Aug. 31. The Youth Bureau may be reached at 278-6886.

http://www.buffalonews.com/107/story/70416.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So is the area that bad that parents can't afford to feed thier own kids?

You never grabbed a lunch from the summer youth program when you where a kid?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    So is the area that bad that parents can't afford to feed thier own kids?
    Im on the Youth Bureau, but Ive missed practically an entire year of meetings because of school.

When I was more active we held it at the park on Old Falls Street kiddie corner to the County building.

They go by rate of poverty, and as far as I know about a quarter of the city is on welfare, as a matter of fact, I believe its gone up.

So yes, these families are extremely poor, and these picnics give the kids something to do, as well as a free meal.

I'm thinking if people were THAT hungry we wouldn't have so many rats in the city and wouldn't have to spend $millions$ on garbage totes....

Nevermind, just kinda thinkin' out loud..

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by steven
    You never grabbed a lunch from the summer youth program when you where a kid?
    Not on any regular basis. Why would go when I had so many older family members that cooked really well within walking distance of my house. One side was all italian and the otherside all polish. One of them always had something cooking to eat....

Exactly what is considered a summer youth program? I remember my summers fishing, looking for bugs, bringing home all kings of creatures and crap like that.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Exactly what is considered a summer youth program? I remember my summers fishing, looking for bugs, bringing home all kings of creatures and crap like that.
    Boys and Girls clubs, boxing clubs, the city housing authority resource buildings that have basketball and other youth programs.

Like the one behind Jordan Gardens and the one on Niagara Street

Growing up in the Falls, there were city parks all over town. Our neighborhood park (Liberty) had a basketball court, and swings and slides. It was a BIG day for us when the city came and hung the swings each summer. There were two "coaches" at the park each day (I want to say 9am-4pm) to make sure we didn't get too rowdy. They would also organise us into teams for kick ball, baseball, etc. I don't think the city has enough money to still do this, so that's where the Youth Bureau would come in.

Last year we had a thread where we "discussed" free summer lunch programs.

I tried to find the thread but I couldn't. Did it disappear?

But, in a nusthell:

--Maybe we should spend more money trying to improve the economy and start more job training programs, rather than putting more money into giveaway programs such as free lunches.

--Many parents could be so accustomed to school giving their kids free breakfast and lunch that they have "learned helplessness" and don't bother actually preparing food for their kids anymore.

--It sickens many of us that all of the touchy feely promos for free lunches often say that the kids who rely on school for lunch and breakfast "go hungry in the summers." COME ON! WHERE ARE THE PARENTS?! Can't you even slap together a bologney sandwich or peanut butter and jelly?

I'm not being disparaging to those who are really in hard times. I know there are in fact parts of Buffalo and The Falls where there aren't even decent grocery stores where people can buy food... Maybe we should work on that.

But the point is, these kids should have parents or guardians and the parents or the guardians should at least be feeding themselves. Why can't they give the kids some of what they feed themselves?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    But, in a nusthell:

--Maybe we should spend more money trying to improve the economy and start more job training programs, rather than putting more money into giveaway programs such as free lunches.

--Many parents could be so accustomed to school giving their kids free breakfast and lunch that they have "learned helplessness" and don't bother actually preparing food for their kids anymore.

--It sickens many of us that all of the touchy feely promos for free lunches often say that the kids who rely on school for lunch and breakfast "go hungry in the summers." COME ON! WHERE ARE THE PARENTS?! Can't you even slap together a bologney sandwich or peanut butter and jelly?

I'm not being disparaging to those who are really in hard times. I know there are in fact parts of Buffalo and The Falls where there aren't even decent grocery stores where people can buy food... Maybe we should work on that.

But the point is, these kids should have parents or guardians and the parents or the guardians should at least be feeding themselves. Why can't they give the kids some of what they feed themselves?
    The problem is that many of the kids who benefit from programs like these DON"T have parents that provide for them. That's why the programs exist in the first place. Whether these parents are "playing the system" or truly trying and just not making ends meet, the children shouldn't be the ones to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimegone
    Growing up in the Falls, there were city parks all over town. Our neighborhood park (Liberty) had a basketball court, and swings and slides. It was a BIG day for us when the city came and hung the swings each summer. There were two "coaches" at the park each day (I want to say 9am-4pm) to make sure we didn't get too rowdy. They would also organise us into teams for kick ball, baseball, etc. I don't think the city has enough money to still do this, so that's where the Youth Bureau would come in.
    The city started tearing down basketball parks a while ago.

In one instance it was because a white politician didn't like it that blacks were playing at the courts near his street.

The problem is that many of the kids who benefit from programs like these DON"T have parents that provide for them. That's why the programs exist in the first place. Whether these parents are "playing the system" or truly trying and just not making ends meet, the children shouldn't be the ones to suffer.
    Maybe there should be stricter regulation then. Maybe something along the lines where the parents of these children cannot have credit cards, cable TV, cell phones, etc.

If you can't afford to feed your children you can't afford this stuff either!

Last year we had a thread where we "discussed" free summer lunch programs.

I tried to find the thread but I couldn't. Did it disappear?

But, in a nusthell:

The thing is, it's held once a year.

It's a program that gives kids something to do, they come to the park, have some hot dogs and chips, play some basketball, listen to some music and just kick back.

Like you said, in cities like Buffalo and the Falls where kids need positive things to do, I believe that this is a good thing.

I know there are in fact parts of Buffalo and The Falls where there aren't even decent grocery stores where people can buy food...
    I stopped going to the Tops downtown because of that..

Half the things I bought were expired

The children are always the ones who suffer. Unfortunately, they also learn that you don't have to work to feed yourself, or clothe yourself, or house yourself. A few years down the road, they start having children that they don't bother to feed. Then you get what you have now, Institutionalized Poverty™, where there is a ready supply of programs to keep the franchise humming happily along.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    The thing is, it's held once a year.
    The original post was about a program that gives free lunch for the entire Summer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    I stopped going to the Tops downtown because of that..

Half the things I bought were expired
    There are a few Tops markets in the area that are used as a dumping ground for expired items. Niagara St. in Tonawanda is another. And you're right, they are usually in economically depressed neighborhoods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information