Thread: Rumore, assured of re-election, outlines goals for teachers union

Rumore, assured of re-election, outlines goals for teachers union

Supporters view Buffalo Teachers Federation President Philip Rumore as a tireless champion for both teachers and children.

Critics call him an obstructionist who short-circuits desperately needed change.

And Rumore, 64, isn’t going away anytime soon.
    Since he faces no challengers in BTF mail elections being held this month, Rumore is assured of winning a 14th consecutive two-year term as president of the powerful 3,400-member union he has headed since 1981.
    Rumore said he wants to end the nearly three-year wage freeze for school district workers, secure a new contract for the BTF, make sure a large hike in state aid is used effectively, greatly increase a BTF scholarship fund for city students and gain more clout for teachers in key district decisions.

“There’s just no way I could leave now,” said Rumore, who earns $98,664 a year as BTF president. “There’s too much undone.”
    Rumore and Superintendent James A. Williams have battled frequently. Williams called Rumore a liar and a snake, compared him to former Ugandan dictator Idi Amin and threatened to take him in an alley and kick his behind.

Williams said it is up to the teachers to choose their representatives. “If that’s what the teachers want, I have to support them 100 percent,” he said. “I have to deal with the hand that’s dealt me.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/103/story/70433.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    Supporters view Buffalo Teachers Federation President Philip Rumore as a tireless champion for both teachers and children.

Critics call him an obstructionist who short-circuits desperately needed change.

And Rumore, 64, isn’t going away anytime soon.
    Since he faces no challengers in BTF mail elections being held this month, Rumore is assured of winning a 14th consecutive two-year term as president of the powerful 3,400-member union he has headed since 1981.
    Rumore said he wants to end the nearly three-year wage freeze for school district workers, secure a new contract for the BTF, make sure a large hike in state aid is used effectively, greatly increase a BTF scholarship fund for city students and gain more clout for teachers in key district decisions.

“There’s just no way I could leave now,” said Rumore, who earns $98,664 a year as BTF president. “There’s too much undone.”
    Rumore and Superintendent James A. Williams have battled frequently. Williams called Rumore a liar and a snake, compared him to former Ugandan dictator Idi Amin and threatened to take him in an alley and kick his behind.

Williams said it is up to the teachers to choose their representatives. “If that’s what the teachers want, I have to support them 100 percent,” he said. “I have to deal with the hand that’s dealt me.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/103/story/70433.html
    It is funny and sad how 1 can lead 4k and destroy so much.

Unregistered

I say just close all the Public Schools until Rumore is fired

I say just close all the Public Schools until Rumore is fired

Convert them to charter.

If I were williams, Id close one school after another....convert them to charters....until Rumore is fired.

That would show him.

Thread Information