Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people insist on walking in the street instead of on the sidewalk?

Exclamation Why do people insist on walking in the street instead of on the sidewalk?

I am beginning to see this more and more, people walking in the street. Often times totally oblivious as to what is going on around them. I can understand why bicycles are in the street, but pedestrians? Not only are they walking but theyre running as well. If they trip and fall they could very easily get run over, or they could possibly get clipped by a mirror and get seriously hurt. Sidewalks are there for a reason yet more and more people are literally taking to the streets to do their jogging and walking.

This could be a serious lawsuit waiting to happen if they end up getting hurt, and whos at fault? the driver or the person walking/jogging in the street when there is a perfectly good sidewalk available?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

You notice it too? I mean in the winter you can somewhat excuse it. But summertime?

b.b.

I agree, there are alot of people who just walki in the street. especially down Tonawanda Street..
    Yet today i was in North Buf on Parkside and a guy on a yellow 10 speed with matching suit and saftey gear rode in my direct line and I could not safely pass him because other cars where coming and i had to follow him for 6 blocks doing 15 miles an hour and he never once looked back or moved over so I could safely pass him... lucky for him I had a really good CD in my CDplayer and was actually enjoying the slow ride... any other day he would have been meat!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Good point.. I noticed that on como and union there is a church. WHY is it when church is let out the people who attended think it's ok for them to all jaywalk to get to their cars instead of crossing at the corner? They occasionally slow down traffic because they just walk even if the light is green. Do they think they are car proof just after mass?

What better time to meet your maker when you just got done talking to him?

NYS law says bikes are vehicles

Bicycles are not allowed on sidewalks unless they are under 20 inch (tire size) and have training wheels on them all other bicycles are to obey every law enforce for cars. except they are to ride on the three feet near the shoulder of the road unless there is a bicycle lane. they do have to ride with traffic. many people think bikes belong on the side walk but that is not the law. if a bike is in front of you and near the shoulder you have to wait to pass them as if they were a car. most bike riders are smart enough to realize that cars out weigh them and will let you pass before you get mad enough to run them over. but then some are just stubborn
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Answer to FMD

Because they're important.

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    Bicycles are not allowed on sidewalks unless they are under 20 inch (tire size) and have training wheels on them all other bicycles are to obey every law enforce for cars. except they are to ride on the three feet near the shoulder of the road unless there is a bicycle lane. they do have to ride with traffic. many people think bikes belong on the side walk but that is not the law. if a bike is in front of you and near the shoulder you have to wait to pass them as if they were a car. most bike riders are smart enough to realize that cars out weigh them and will let you pass before you get mad enough to run them over. but then some are just stubborn
    I have one thing to add. In addition to bikes traveling with traffic pedestrians are to walk facing traffic. There was an old rhyme when I was young that went like this:

Single file, Indian style, facing traffic all the while!

Of course, who does follow the rules of the road these days, cars don't even bother to signal before turning!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    I am beginning to see this more and more, people walking in the street. Often times totally oblivious as to what is going on around them. I can understand why bicycles are in the street, but pedestrians? Not only are they walking but theyre running as well. If they trip and fall they could very easily get run over, or they could possibly get clipped by a mirror and get seriously hurt. Sidewalks are there for a reason yet more and more people are literally taking to the streets to do their jogging and walking.

This could be a serious lawsuit waiting to happen if they end up getting hurt, and whos at fault? the driver or the person walking/jogging in the street when there is a perfectly good sidewalk available?
    It seems to be the norm in Jamestown. Just about the only people who use the sidewalks in my neighborhood are the mailpersons, dogwalkers, and ladies with babies in strollers. In the winter, I wonder why I bother to even clean the sidewalk since it's hardly used.

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    I realize they arent supposed to be on the sidewalk, thats fine but they shouldnt expect a 3000 pound vehicle to follow them for 6 blocks while they meander back and forth in front of me and then to the side of the road. If they need to obey the traffic laws, then doing the speed limit should apply...! Id like to see a bicycle doing 30 MPH! Thats not gonna happen.

speed limit

state law states you are to drive the speed limit or under ( at or below) you do not have to drive the limit you just cant go over it. if you are on the truway then you have a 45 mph minimum. bicycles are required to stay with in three feet of the shoulder or driving lane. they also should stop at all red lights and stop sign which most do not. they also have to use hand signals when stopping or turning none do this
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

so what do people expect cars to yield for them since their walking the street?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Like everything else, it's because people have become self absorbed and selfish. I love it when a group walks side by side and gives me a dirty look when I toot my horn at them so I can get by.

My pet peeve is the way people walk in parking lots. Don't walk down the center of the aisle...move to the side!
    If you don't like gay marriage blame straight people. They're the ones who keep having gay babies.

I've heard joggers claim that running on blacktop is less impactful to joints than running on concrete

I say if that's the case find a different exercise or find a blacktop bike trail to jog on
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

don't get me started

joggers why would you try to get healthy jogging on a street full of exhaust fumes. what you gain in exercise you lose from the fumes. maybe the joggers are afraid of the old people with canes they have to dodge on the sidewalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information