Thread: Cavalcoli won't run in Hamburg

Cavalcoli won't run in Hamburg

Hamburg Sun, May 3, 2007
    After 24 years of service Councilman Cavalcoli not seeking re-election DANIEL MEYER
    After serving for nearly a quarter of a century, Town of Hamburg Councilman D. Mark Cavalcoli has decided to not seek re-election for another four-year term on the Hamburg Town Board.^

Cavalcoli's decision to simply serve out his current term and retire at the end of this year is just the latest happening in Hamburg that is sure to have an impact on the town's political landscape.

Having served the residents of Hamburg for an unprecendented 24 years, including a dozen as the town's deputy supervisor, Cavalcoli believes the time is right for him to walk away and seek out other challenges.

"I am still passionate about the town and its future (and) I always will be," Cavalcoli said in a seven-paragraph statement he submitted to The Sun earlier this week. "But now it is time for my wife Anne and me to spend more time together, to travel more, and to enjoy our own future and the opportunities it will bring."

Cavalcoli said it has truly been an honor and an ongoing learning experience to serve town taxpayers.

"Hamburg is a unique mix of people, enterprises and neighborhoods," said Cavalcoli. "Knowing and representing this varied community has been challenging and demanding but I have enjoyed it thoroughly."

What has been the best part of the job?

"The most rewarding part of my service has been being in a position to help solve problems and improve community life for my constituents," says Cavalcoli.

The 67-year-old is retired from the Frontier Central School District, having served 33 years as a high school biology and environmental studies teacher.

During his years of service on the Town Board, Cavalcoli says he accomplished a number of major goals, including three updates of the town's Master Plan, the acquisition and early development of the Hamburg Natural Historical Society's Penn Dixie Site and the initiation of the transfer of the town's individual sewer districts to a more regional management approach by Erie County.

In addition to those accomplishments, Cavalcoli admits there have indeed been some bumps along the road.

"Not all of my initiatives were successful," admits Cavalcoli. "The attempt to form a town-wide garbage district in order to save most residents about half of their costs was turned back by a referendum vote. While I still think it was a great idea, enough other people thought differently and that is what our democracy is all about."

Cavalcoli is passionate when talking about the many good people he has worked with over the years, including fellow elected officials and many different town employees.

"All of these accomplishments could not have been achieved without the support and expertise of many people," says Cavalcoli, adding he expresses his deepest appreciation to past and present colleagues on the Town Board, department heads and their staff members, and the leaders of community organizations, both volunteer and professional.

Cavalcoli got interested in politics and first thought about running for office while serving as the chairman of the town's Environmental Conservation Board. While he said earlier this week in a sit-down interview with The Sun that "you can never say never," he believes at this point in time his political career is over.

"I have no other political aspirations at this time," said Cavalcoli, who lived on Highland Avenue in the Village of Hamburg for many years before recently building a new home on Heltz Road in Lake View.

Cavalcoli's goals for what will be his final eight months in office include wrapping up the latest update of the Master Plan and finalizing the details of the consolidation of the town's sewer districts.

Cavalcoli said he will miss serving the people of Hamburg as an elected official.

"I want to say 'thank you' to the town residents for their votes of support and their confidence in allowing me to serve them," says Cavalcoli.

"On behalf of myself and my family, it has truly been an honor to serve. I will remain an active member of the community of Hamburg."

As he shouldn't.

Unregistered
    Mark was the only Democrat on the town board that I had any respect for. We disagreed on almost everything but he would stand up to everyone and stick to his guns. He would also listen to you and not hold a grudge. I'm glad he is retiring and I think he deserves to have a happy retirement.

Thread Information