Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coyotes in Williamsville?

Exclamation coyotes in Williamsville?

I have now heard from 3 different people who live in the Park Club + Main st, N Forest and Main St and N Forest and N Union area that have all claimed to have seen a coyote at night with in the past 2 months.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Signs of a coyote in the Park Country Club / Amherst State Park have been discovered the last 2 years. But I am not aware of confirmed sitings. Last year a resident of Williamsville Commons saw a fox and reported she had a seen a coyote.

Well, since they've had confirmed coyote sightings (and even an attack IIRC) in North Tonawanda by the old Melody Fair, it would seem that seeing coyotes in any part of Amherst wouldn't be unreasonable. Like deer, coyotes seem to not have a problem with living close to humans.

Thee are two known coyotes in Reinstein Woods. I saw one of them this past spring.

they're everywhere

coyotes, coy dogs, gray fox, red fox, raccoons, porcupines and bob cats live all around western New York. mostly in the outer suburbs but they cant be hunted in the city or the inner ring of suburbs so they have no fears. most live as scavengers. if the road kill, pet food bowls and garbage is kept under control they will move to where they can find food. bigger problem is the Canadian geese and the unhealthy droppings they leave on everything they get near
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    coyotes, coy dogs, gray fox, red fox, raccoons, porcupines and bob cats live all around western New York. mostly in the outer suburbs but they cant be hunted in the city or the inner ring of suburbs so they have no fears. most live as scavengers. if the road kill, pet food bowls and garbage is kept under control they will move to where they can find food. bigger problem is the Canadian geese and the unhealthy droppings they leave on everything they get near
    Yea especially when your pet dog LOVES to roll in the goose POOP!! YUK!

I remember when the only place you found Canada geese in WNY was over in the Oak Orchard refuge in the spring and fall. Numerous members of my family would trek over there in goose season to hunt them. Now, in some places, you have to watch your pets and kids, especially in nesting season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    Yea especially when your pet dog LOVES to roll in the goose POOP!! YUK!
    Deer poop ain't too lovely, either! BARF!

The problem geese ain't canadian - they are a resident species introduced by the DEC. The problem is they don't leave the area. They reside here year round. We need to eradicate them. Then the real canadian geese will stop by on their fall and spring flights but will move on.

No coyotes in Williamsville, but lotsa cougars 'round these parts.

They like to hang out around the college bars
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

on the news

I usually listen to channel 2 news so that should be where I heard it. they stated that New York state had over 500,000 Canadian Geese residing here and they plan on going after the nests to reduce the population to 200,000. these are the species Canadian Geese but they do not migrate from Canada they live here. they did say how much it cost to clean up after them but I forgot that number
    ps Wow the spell check did not find anything
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The problem geese ain't canadian - they are a resident species introduced by the DEC. The problem is they don't leave the area. They reside here year round. We need to eradicate them. Then the real canadian geese will stop by on their fall and spring flights but will move on.
    Actually, they are "real Canada geese". They liked WNY so well that instead of leaving with the rest of their relatives, they stayed on and did what geese do best: mutiply.

There are two goose seasons now. I believe the earlier one is for the residents (the migratory ones aren't here yet) and the later one is for migrants (the resident ones are really gunshy by then).

I usually listen to channel 2 news so that should be where I heard it. they stated that New York state had over 500,000 Canadian Geese residing here and they plan on going after the nests to reduce the population to 200,000. these are the species Canadian Geese but they do not migrate from Canada they live here. they did say how much it cost to clean up after them but I forgot that number
    ps Wow the spell check did not find anything
    There's an over population problem with snow geese, too. Because of improved habitat along the flyways and fewer goose hunters, snow geese numbers have exploded, decimating the breeding grounds in the Arctic and winter grounds in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    There's an over population problem with snow geese, too. Because of improved habitat along the flyways and fewer goose hunters, snow geese numbers have exploded, decimating the breeding grounds in the Arctic and winter grounds in the south.
    Hmmm... more food for the coyotes?? Maybe there is a correlation here? Predators go where the food is.. there arent too many pheasants around anymore so the Canada Geese are probably easy pickin's...

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1 View Post
    No coyotes in Williamsville, but lotsa cougars 'round these parts.

They like to hang out around the college bars
    wow that was deep...:::FAIL:::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information