Thread: rv parks / seasonal / park models

rv parks / seasonal / park models

Ok I have a question - I wasnt sure where to post this, so here it is ... because its about housing, but not necessarily the traditional type ..

OK - I have been approached by a national owner of a company that sells model home rv's to market and sell a new line he is having made specifically for his company ..... I'm going to show you some pics of what I mean, these pics are just ideas - in no way are these the actual structures - but I would love some input from you on your thoughts .....

Anyway - you have these seasonal resorts here in WNY - and of course in the southern and western states you have them year round. Individuals purchase lots and put their rv's there ... some stay the whole summer, some use it as a weekend get away .. some come for a few weeks and move on to another state - you get the idea ... these recreational resorts have different benefits .. pools, bike trails, rec centers, teen programs, each one is different. Here are a few in our area ...

leisurewood

chautauqua

you get the idea ........

ok - so here is the idea behind a park model home below.... some are logs, some are shingled, some have lofts etc - you design them - they are rv's - (hard to believe) these stay where you put them - I know if it were me, I would prefer this .... over the typical rv trailer ...

parkmodels

thoughts???????
    You like? you don;t like? why?

thanks ....... still thinking if I am going to be the rep .. so I want some feedback on if people would be interested - just because you are interested doesn't mean you'd buy one ... just that IF you were in the market, you would prefer something like this over a typical rv trailer type model ...
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Colleen, I think there are a number of RV dealers who already sell park models in WNY. There's Campland in Hamburg as well as Bob Morrow(sp) out in Sandusky and Ken Asel in Gerry.

I've been inside a few of these park models at the big members-only campground near East Otto since I have friends who have a membership. It's like Leisurewood and Chautauqua but has changed names several times, so I'm not sure what it's called now.

The park models are infinitely superior to the typical travel trailer type RV, and even to the Type A motorhomes. However, they do require a permanent lot which can be pricey in these "resort" campgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    Colleen, I think there are a number of RV dealers who already sell park models in WNY. There's Campland in Hamburg as well as Bob Morrow(sp) out in Sandusky and Ken Asel in Gerry.

I've been inside a few of these park models at the big members-only campground near East Otto since I have friends who have a membership. It's like Leisurewood and Chautauqua but has changed names several times, so I'm not sure what it's called now.

The park models are infinitely superior to the typical travel trailer type RV, and even to the Type A motorhomes. However, they do require a permanent lot which can be pricey in these "resort" campgrounds.

tell me what you think is pricey? compared to other lots? it should not be - these park models are still hud models, and are no more than 400 sq ft and 39.40 ft in length - if lots for those are selling at a premium the owner are dping themselves no favors as they could be getting referrals if they sold them themselves or though a dealer ..
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    tell me what you think is pricey? compared to other lots? it should not be - these park models are still hud models, and are no more than 400 sq ft and 39.40 ft in length - if lots for those are selling at a premium the owner are dping themselves no favors as they could be getting referrals if they sold them themselves or though a dealer ..
    I can only speak about the East Otto campground. The campground requires you to buy a membership and then pay yearly fees plus the price of the lot plus the price of the actual park model. The memberships are complicated, too. Some are "lifetime" and some are "lifetime transferrable" and some are for 20/30 years so they're like land leases. The lots are tiny ... I would say that most are 2,000-3,000 square feet. You are responsible for all maintenance. Except for a few winterized sites near the entrance, the campers aren't usable from mid-October through April because there's no water.

I think the worst part is that there's absolutely no privacy. Unless you're on one of the outer sites on a cul-de-sac, there's a constant stream of cars, golf carts and people going by. Down near the lake or near the entrance, the vehicle and foot traffic is non-stop. I can sit on my front porch at home and see fewer people. I can sit on my back patio and have more peace and quiet, and I live in the city. Because there are so many people, there are lots of restrictions. For example, golf carts are allowed but not ATVs. You can't swim in the lake but you can swim in the pool, which is usually filled with screaming kids.

Another big problem with this campground is selling your camp membership/lot when you decide you don't want it. The campers are permanent, more or less. There's not a big market for used park models without lots. In order to buy a camper/lot in this campground, you also buy the membership, which as I said, comes in different levels. It seems very much like trying to sell a time-share.

I think that a new park model plus the membership plus the lot in this campground could easily run you as much as or more than an existing camp on its own land. I've seen camps on their own land for sale in Catt County for between $25,000 and $50,000 with heat, electric, and water. Many of these back up to state forests (ie, "state land") which means that nobody is going to be building on that land. If you aren't a pricky "city person" and get to know your neighbors, they'll keep an eye on your place for you. You can hire somebody to brushhog your grass in the summer or plow your driveway in the winter if you want to use your camp year round.

I looked at several campers at the East Otto campground and while I liked the campers themselves, I didn't like the atmosphere. It's not what I consider "country" at all. I opted for buying a smaller, older camper with my brother and putting it on our own land (it makes it easier to divide up maintenance with 2 families). It's primitive (outhouse) but we have heat and electric. My dog doesn't have to be on a leash, and he's not barking at all the people wandering through. I also don't have to listen to one neighbor's radio or have another neighbor's kids running through my "yard". Oh, did I mention I can sit under the canopy outside the camper and watch deer less than 200 feet away?
    Last edited by Linda_D; August 1st, 2010 at 09:07 AM.

Thread Information