Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is unemployment free?

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post

Buffalo (NYS in general) has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. Some states are up to 12%.

So, in spite of our "Social programs" or due to our "social programs" NYS maintains a low unemployment rate.
    Funny, there seems to be an aboundance of abled bodied men downtown, just hanging around all day. I wonder if any of them apply for these jobs or if they are content with being sponges on the G's dole?
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

What is the families, friends, and churches are all hurting too? Have you not seen the news where churches are being foreclosed on? 9.5% unemployment rate?
    Things are tough but God has said that his church will be here until the rapture. I believe that. If I lost my job my family, friends and church would be willing to help me. I know this and take comfort in it. Maybe those that are afraid that this might happen to them aught to be a more reliable family member, a better friend and join a good church in order to be in good shape for an uncertain future. especially under the Obama administration.
    Last edited by mikenold; July 23rd, 2010 at 03:58 PM.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Buffalo (NYS in general) has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. Some states are up to 12%.

So, in spite of our "Social programs" or due to our "social programs" NYS maintains a low unemployment rate.
    NYS "lower" unemployment numbers happen for two reason, one a LOT of people have given up on work. Last month 8500 people lost their job but the unemployment number dropped from 8.5 to 8.3. We know that happens for two reason... people leaving NYS or people giving up.

The MAJOR reason we don't see big jumps in unemployment is because 30% of employed people in NYS work for a form of govt and this doesn't include the medical field (medicaid/medicare) or social programs run by govt grants, like head start. When you have such a large "fixed" employment base, your numbers won't move that fast that much... unless we start laying off the leaches!

I guess for once though NYS can finally say they don't lead the naiton in something bad!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    What a good, wholesome, christian attitude
    You are completely correct here. Except that as a Christian I can solely rely on God to keep me employed or to take care of me when I need him! Even the birds in the field do not starve because God cares for them. How much more does he care for those that he loves and those that love him. Really, this is all to easy to figure out for those that seek after God.
    Good luck with that. How many religious folk are unemployed right now?
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Good luck with that. How many religious folk are unemployed right now?
    I never said that religious folks were never unemployed. However, I did say that my church would help me if I was and needed the help. I stand by what I said.

It has nothing to do with best intentions unless you are taiking about the best intention to get re-elected. These liberal progressive democratic knot heads just love to use our money for their re-election campaigns.
    You werent bitching when G. Bush mailed out those stimulus checks a few years back, were you Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV View Post
    You werent bitching when G. Bush mailed out those stimulus checks a few years back, were you Mike?
    I was! It was pointless! I took that check right to the bank and put it into my savings! As a responsible person I have all that I need and if i did need to buy somthing i have more than enough to do it. I, unlike many others, think about the future when i make my choices!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

went to toronto with mine

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    I was! It was pointless! I took that check right to the bank and put it into my savings! As a responsible person I have all that I need and if i did need to buy somthing i have more than enough to do it. I, unlike many others, think about the future when i make my choices!
    I figuired Canada was hurting too so I spent my stimulas check in Toronto.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Bush was giving back tax money to everyone that was paid in by everyone. The unemployment giveaway is with everyone's tax money to a selected few. One stimulates the economy, the other buys votes. I will let you figure out which!

Stimulus money is stimulus money. At least Bush gave it back to the people and not big union patronizing, campaign donating, corporations.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Bush was giving back tax money to everyone that was paid in by everyone. The unemployment giveaway is with everyone's tax money to a selected few. One stimulates the economy, the other buys votes. I will let you figure out which!

Whoa....hold on champ.

The stimulus money was only paid out to those who claimed over $3,000 worth of income on their tax returns. Along with other stipulations, many who "paid into" it did not receive anything.

Ironically, those who had been unemployed and did not receive over $3,000 of UI would not be eligible for the stimulus checks

And saying that UI does not stimulate the economy, sounds rather short sighted on your part.

And saying that only one or the other buys votes is also short sighted thinking.

And c'mon, lets get real. What church is going to afford paying multiple members' mortgages, car payments, utilitiy bills, etc., for 99 weeks?

Whoa....hold on champ.
    First off, let's get something straight. Don't insult me by calling me Champ!

The stimulus money was only paid out to those who claimed over $3,000 worth of income on their tax returns. Along with other stipulations, many who "paid into" it did not receive anything.
    Now that we have that out of the way; Are you serious? You really don't seem to have a grasp of how the stimulus checks worked. Are you aware that people that make under $3000.00 don't pay any tax? Oh, and please do tell me about the other stipulations that caused many who "paid into" it to not receive anything???

Ironically, those who had been unemployed and did not receive over $3,000 of UI would not be eligible for the stimulus checks.
    Ironically you neglect to count the money that they actually made working or else they would not be getting any UI payments. These 2 sources of income would be combined, so I really don't think you have a case here.

And saying that UI does not stimulate the economy, sounds rather short sighted on your part.
    I will agree that UI does help the economy in the sense that the fund protects those that are laid off from their job for half a year so that they can use this time to find work. The extension to UI is a completely different thing however. This has been given to those that still have not found work after a half a year. This money does NOT come from the UI fund. This money is "borrowed" against our children and grandchildren and does nothing to help the economy at all. It actually hurts our economy further.

And saying that only one or the other buys votes is also short sighted thinking.
    This extension of UI was done for one reason and one reason only. To attempt to buy the votes of the people that do not have a job due to the very policies of the Obama Administration and the liberal, progressive Democrats in the House and Senate have foisted upon the American people and forced many of those now collecting UI out of their job in the first place.

And c'mon, lets get real. What church is going to afford paying multiple members' mortgages, car payments, utilitiy bills, etc., for 99 weeks?
    I don't believe that anyone who cannot find a job within half a year is truly looking at all their options. Especially those that have a mortgage, car payment, utilitiy bill, etc. I have never had anyone come knocking on my door asking me if I wanted a job!

Why not just man up and say what you really think: anyone who becomes unemployed and has a problem finding a new job is a lazy scumbag, even more so if they 'welch' off the system and claim UI.

Dont hide behind your red herring of it being just for getting votes, and that its borrowing against our children and grandchildrens' future.

Why not just man up and say what you really think: anyone who becomes unemployed and has a problem finding a new job is a lazy scumbag, even more so if they 'welch' off the system and claim UI.
    Not at all. Maybe that's what you see. If a person has been laid off for more than 6 month's they should have found a job if they had been trying diligently for the entire 6 month's. Typically what happens is they are waiting to get called back to work or they refuse to take a job that pays less than what they were getting. The jobs are out there but in order to guarantee working instead of collecting one must be resourceful. I hold no animosity against anyone that is collecting UI. I also do pray for those that are laid off that they would be able to find work quickly. If only our Representatives would try to put forth a better effort at giving small business a reason to hire more workers these people would be back to work by now instead of relying on their benevolent overseers for their livelihood.

Dont hide behind your red herring of it being just for getting votes, and that its borrowing against our children and grandchildrens' future.
    I don't hide behind any red herrings (does that even apply here?). You may believe that the Obama administration and the liberal, progressive democrats in the House and Senate care a wit about you if you like. That is your choice. I happen to look at their past to see that they have a history that shows that they can care less what you think about anything and rather think themselves as knowing what is good for you because you are too ignorant to figure these things out on your own. They did not listen when we told then no to heath care, they did not listen when we told them no to suing AZ. They do not listen when we tell them to stop spending money that they do not have!! Mortgaging our children and grandchildrens' future to buy votes for the November election.

It's apparent that none of the posters here have been on unemployment recently.

The company I worked for went under in June of 2009. It took me until July of this year to find a job. I applied for jobs in my field ... out of my field ... even jobs that paid minimum wage. [B]I couldn't even get an interview for almost 6 months. [B]In many cases the jobs that I interviewed for were given to internal candidates who were transferred from one department to another because the position they had was about to be eliminated. In other cases I couldn't even get a call back ... when you have 20 years of experience in the working world many companies figure you won't take or stay in a minimum wage job. And since most companies do everything online, I never got the chance to explain that I was willing to start at the bottom for a career change.

And of course filing for unemployment was one of the most humiliating experiences of my life. I actually had one "career counselor" tell me that even though I had worked over 20 years and was eligible for unemployment compensation, it was not an entitlement program. So I asked ... what's an "entitlement program?" She said "welfare, food stamps, medicaid." I almost fell off my chair. Since when are people "entitled" to those things??

Did you know that for every job out there, there are 6-8 people to fill it? Did you know that some companies have a policy against interviewing unemployed candidates because they think it must be their fault they're unemployed?? I would have taken any job that came my way. I was grateful to find work in my field after a year ... and only found that job because I used to work with people in the company that knew I was available ... so in a sense I became the "internal" candidate. They received about 50 resumes for my position, there were 4 candidates that were actually qualified for the job. All of the people that they interviewed for my job were unemployed ... some of them were willing to drive more than an hour each way just to have job.

I expected my unemployment to run out after 6 months and planned for that. I was relieved that it didn't. I still have a family to take care of and bills to pay.

Being on unemployment was neither fun nor a vacation for me. I spent a year looking, applying and praying for a job. I have NEVER received any sort of government assistance before and hope I never have to again. If the economy were in better shape and companies were hiring, six months might be enough time to find a job. But companies aren't hiring ... in fact most of them are still eliminating positions and doing more with less. I hope none of you ever have to find out what it's like to lose your job and have to look for a new one.

It must be nice to go to work every day and look down your noses at those who are out of work and decide that they must be on a nice extended vacation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information