Thread: Intro to Buffalo

Intro to Buffalo

Found this interesting. This is how a travel guide sees Buffalo

Introduction to Buffalo, NY

70 miles W of Rochester; 398 miles NW of New York City

It's the eighth-largest city in America, with more millionaires per capita than any other American city. It's an industrial hub that hosted a world's fair. The country's top architects are flocking here to design and construct landmark buildings, including the world's largest office building.

At least, this is what I'd write about Buffalo 100 years ago. It's no secret that Buffalo has seen better days, but the legacy of its past -- one that's being renovated with some modern quirks thrown in for good measure -- makes Buffalo a worthwhile stop for a couple days' stay.

I grew up in nearby Rochester, and all I knew about Buffalo was that it invented the chicken wing and it got more snow than anywhere else in the universe. My loss. When industrialists realized that the Great Lakes/Erie Canal/Hudson River route was the way to get things from America's heartland to Europe, it inspired a boom. And those businessmen put their money back into the city: They brought Frederick Law Olmsted, fresh off his creation of Central Park in New York City, to design Buffalo's park system. They summoned architects Frank Lloyd Wright, H. H. Sullivan, and E. B. Green to fulfill their every architectural whim for business and personal space, and many of their treasures still stand downtown.

The economy is still hurting, but Buffalo is forging ahead with renovations anyway. A couple of big projects are slated for the next couple years: the Westside Rowing Club is building a new boathouse based on Frank Lloyd Wright plans (scheduled to open mid-2006), and plans to excavate the original terminus of the Erie Canal and create a museum around it are slated for 2007. In the meantime, you can satisfy yourself architecturally with a walk downtown, and there are a couple of cool hotels and some fantastic restaurants. Oh, and just for the record: Chicken wings aren't the only quirky food this city created; and though the city does indeed get some 90 inches of snow each year, it also averages 85 days with temperatures over 75.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    Found this interesting. This is how a travel guide sees Buffalo

Introduction to Buffalo, NY

70 miles W of Rochester; 398 miles NW of New York City

It's the eighth-largest city in America, with more millionaires per capita than any other American city. It's an industrial hub that hosted a world's fair. The country's top architects are flocking here to design and construct landmark buildings, including the world's largest office building.

At least, this is what I'd write about Buffalo 100 years ago. It's no secret that Buffalo has seen better days, but the legacy of its past -- one that's being renovated with some modern quirks thrown in for good measure -- makes Buffalo a worthwhile stop for a couple days' stay.

I grew up in nearby Rochester, and all I knew about Buffalo was that it invented the chicken wing and it got more snow than anywhere else in the universe. My loss. When industrialists realized that the Great Lakes/Erie Canal/Hudson River route was the way to get things from America's heartland to Europe, it inspired a boom. And those businessmen put their money back into the city: They brought Frederick Law Olmsted, fresh off his creation of Central Park in New York City, to design Buffalo's park system. They summoned architects Frank Lloyd Wright, H. H. Sullivan, and E. B. Green to fulfill their every architectural whim for business and personal space, and many of their treasures still stand downtown.

The economy is still hurting, but Buffalo is forging ahead with renovations anyway. A couple of big projects are slated for the next couple years: the Westside Rowing Club is building a new boathouse based on Frank Lloyd Wright plans (scheduled to open mid-2006), and plans to excavate the original terminus of the Erie Canal and create a museum around it are slated for 2007. In the meantime, you can satisfy yourself architecturally with a walk downtown, and there are a couple of cool hotels and some fantastic restaurants. Oh, and just for the record: Chicken wings aren't the only quirky food this city created; and though the city does indeed get some 90 inches of snow each year, it also averages 85 days with temperatures over 75.

Cough and choke!

You know it is one of htose things that one could hope for but my sense of Buffalo is tarnished. I have seen to much crap plain and simple and the people doing the rowing are nothing short of being political crooks.

One would hope the description given woul dfit hte true sense of Buffalo but in this case credit is not warranted.

Interesting does not even come close to a word in mind.

Sorry Charley.

I believe the West Side Rowing Club is still raising funds for the Wright boat house. They surely haven't even broke ground yet. The weather museum is a good idea, but, it's barely beyond the concept stage.

Where is this person getting this information?

not weather museum... it mentioned the canal museum which is still part of the inner harbor / bass pro project. It's been delayed along with the rest of bass pro.

The rowing club is also still on track... just delayed due to funding.

Thread Information