Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you protect your dog from wildlife?

How do you protect your dog from wildlife?

Maybe she should have kept it on a leash

Doe beats unleashed dog as owner screams in horror:

[IMG][/IMG]

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    who filmed it?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    who filmed it?
    I'm guessing the cat owner, because you can hear what sounds like the camera person saying "we better get River out of there" and then at the end, when the doe approaches the cat they start to scream a bit.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You would think they would try to help the dog versus taking a video of it happening.

You would think they would try to help the dog versus taking a video of it happening.
    There isn't much they could have done at that point without exposing themselves to a serious risk of injury. Even the owner could not have helped. about the only thing that would have worked would have been a firearm.

A doe has only two defenses - run or use its hooves. Nature has given them a very effective means of protecting themselves when running doesn't work for them.

I've seen videos of hunters being attacked by doe and doe fighting off wolves and coyote. They can inflict a lot of damage with their hooves.

That deer would have 5 shots of bird shot in it with in about 10 seconds. with more on the way.. when I got done there wouldnt be much left of that deer or its kid.

The movie is very graphic... dog lovers SHOULDNT watch it.
    Last edited by FMD; June 18th, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

dog lovers lock up their dogs

fenced in yard or leash not running free. the deer was walking away from the cat until the dog showed up . what else could it do except protect its fawn if you want your dog to be protected it starts with the owner obeying the law.
    also if you need bird shot to hit something as big as a deer you must be a real bad shot. that would just create an insane wounded animal running around
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    fenced in yard or leash not running free. the deer was walking away from the cat until the dog showed up . what else could it do except protect its fawn if you want your dog to be protected it starts with the owner obeying the law.
    also if you need bird shot to hit something as big as a deer you must be a real bad shot. that would just create an insane wounded animal running around
    Garden hose would have worked.. stupid people shouldnt have been filming so close with a doe and a fwn.. they will defend their offspring. Doggie caught it because it was the bigger risk to the fawn. Those people were dumb to let that dog loose when she was there with her baby...
    The deer wasnt that worried about the cat and if you notice the fawn spotted (no pun) the dog first and dropped to the ground instinctivly. Thants when Mamma deer saw the dog and that was that...

Originally posted by WNYresident:
    Yeah, a dog lover would have dropped the camera and assisted the dog.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    That deer would have 5 shots of bird shot in it with in about 10 seconds. with more on the way.. when I got done there wouldnt be much left of that deer or its kid.

The movie is very graphic... dog lovers SHOULDNT watch it.
    I didn't watch it knowing it would be to graphic for me.

Although probably stupid, I would have been flagging my arms and trying to spook the deer. I've got deer and wildlife all around me, and they all run from my dogs. How or why someone would even film this is beyond me.

One time in the 15 years I have lived out here we had a coyote come up to the house. Luckily the dogs and neighboring kids were inside ( we had seen this coyote around for over an hour ) , and the coyote was shot.

Here is an example of what would have happened if someone tried t intervene:

[IMG][/IMG]

Stupid people should learn a thing or two about sprawl and wildlife encroachment.

Ah yes we love wildlife on our terms!

It is hard not to be misanthropic at times.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'm guessing the cat owner, because you can hear what sounds like the camera person saying "we better get River out of there" and then at the end, when the doe approaches the cat they start to scream a bit.
    I think River was the dog.
    I know, that's what I was thinking. What the heck! Throw a rock or something.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    I think River was the dog.

I know, that's what I was thinking. What the heck! Throw a rock or something.
    I thought i heard the woman who started screaming yell "Sars get over here" before the dog got attacked.

In any event, if she had been exercising her 2nd amendment rights she could have saved her dog and filled her freezer at the same time.

Originally posted by nogods:
    In any event, if she had been exercising her 2nd amendment rights she could have saved her dog and filled her freezer at the same time.
    Not everyone carries a gun when they walk their dog.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information