Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you protect your dog from wildlife?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

And now who know who the really stupid people are.
    nogoods,
    We've known all along. Bless you, gramps. Never change.

Originally posted by nogods:
    Maybe she should have kept it on a leash

Doe beats unleashed dog as owner screams in horror:

[IMG][/IMG]
    After seeing this video, I left the dogs in the house when I saw this doe and her triplets in the neighbors yard.

In past years, the deer seemed to instinctively know what my dogs' ranges were and would go up and down the property line like they knew the dogs couldn't cross the line. Since viewing that video, I got nervous about letting them out when the deer are out with offspring.

Georgia L Schlager

A standard fence will not keep the deer out. I've got a 4 foot fence (?) The deer just jump over it.

I don't think the deer are a problem. It's when we do something stupid, that's when the problems start.

In the first video, why was the dog loose? That's stupid, especially with a wild animal around. I would have put down the camera and got the dog before the proverbial stuff hit the fan.

In the early morning, I usually look out in the yard first. That's when this young doe is sometimes in my yard. If he's there, I watch from inside the house. I've taken pictures from inside my house. I wait till he leaves before the dogs go out. Sometimes the dogs sense the deer, start barking, and the deer leaves.

There's a young deer hanging around the first island in Como Park. Even after people see it, they leave their dogs loose. As if the dog's instinct isn't to chase the deer. I could spit nails when the dogs start to chase it.

I don't have my property fenced in and most of the time my dogs are out first. In fact, the deer come out when I'm mowing my lawn. They usually stay in the 2 yards to the north of mine but overnight, they're feasting on my hostas behind my shed. That's a blind spot from any of my windows.

When I let my dogs out in the wee hours of the morning is when the deer startle me running from behind the shed. So I put up a small fence to partition part of the yard off so when my dogs go out in non-daylight hours, they don't have free reign of the full length of the yard and are not out of my sight.

When my girls chase deer, it's just up to the property line. Just protecting their property. They're my guard dogs.

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by nogods:
    How do you protect your dog from wildlife?

Maybe she should have kept it on a leash

Doe beats unleashed dog as owner screams in horror
    Shame on me. My dogs were out in the yard tonight without a leash while I was at my neighbors.
    There was a tent full of people in the yard behind mine who had my dogs entertaining them. A young buck and doe were trying to cross my yard but my little dogs (7 and 15 lbs) kept chasing them off the property. Every time they would start to come across, they would chase them off again unbeknownst to me. When I finally saw what they were doing, I went back to get them. A person in the tent said, "Awe, here comes the owner" like I was ruining their fun. A man and his family three lots down were standing at their fence watching and he yelled to me, "Man, they are tough." You know, I was proud of my little guard dogs.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information