Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you protect your dog from wildlife?

They should have thrown the camera at the deer...

The cat got away.

That was a wierd dog, he didnt really try to fight back or even run he just kinda sat there and took the whooping. I hope thats not a gaurd dog.

I lived across from the Chattahoochee in GA and out in the wild in Texas and my cat came home with wild life friends all the time. The dogs though couldnt get along with the wild life for some reason. I am guessing thats its an evolutionary thing???? Not sure.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    The cat got away.

That was a wierd dog, he didnt really try to fight back or even run he just kinda sat there and took the whooping. I hope thats not a gaurd dog.

I lived across from the Chattahoochee in GA and out in the wild in Texas and my cat came home with wild life friends all the time. The dogs though couldnt get along with the wild life for some reason. I am guessing thats its an evolutionary thing???? Not sure.
    It looked like the dog was elderly?

to me it appeared that the dog tripped over its own feet and thats when it got pounced.

Also, my yard is COMPLETELY fenced in. I even have a gate that goes acrossed my driveway to keep my dog in the yard.

However I have, in the passed year, have had deer in my yard... They hop the front fence since its only 3.5ft high (though my dog doesnt know he too can jump it - he even puts a paw on the front fence he knows hes in deep doo doo)... Once the deer are in the yard they get disoriented and sometimes cant figure out how to get out since they think they can just cut thruogh the back and then find out theres a 6ft wall in the way...

So... like I said... a deer attacks my dog and that deer is going down.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Interesting ... obviously I live in a rurla area and have deer everywhere. I was walking my dogs around my pond, on their leashes the other morning around 6 am. And a large doe stood up, she had been laying in the grass in the field ... normally they walk the other way ... this one didn't. She stood her ground as my dogs barked at her, and then actually started walking towards us.

I assume this is the same doe I saw with the 2 tiny fawns a couple of days earlier, and was thinking her babies were probably close to where whe got up. So I walked the dogs away from her ... it was really weird that she followed us for a little bit. She was really large ... I didn't want to get tangled up with her ...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Here is an example of what would have happened if someone tried t intervene:

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Thats a buck. The guy was probably covered in deer urine to attract deer. The male buck felt his territory was invaded and wacked the guy. Seeing it was a doe, if the idiots who were filming that all went to the dogs aid I don't believe the doe would have did what that buck did. Not for 100% certain but I wouldn't have let the dog get hammered.

Here is a doe sort of telling me she wants to eat apples.

The dude did cover himself in doe urine and had his wife film the encounter. nogoods thinks everyone is as stupid as he is.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I will not even mess or try to get close to this one

deer

I might pick up an apple that fell from the tree and toss it his way but that's about it. I watched him put some younger bucks in their place.

The video of the buck stomping the bow hunter is an example of what a deer - doe or buck - can do to a human.

Only really stupid people would not be able to make the connection.

Moreover, a doe will die protecting it's young, a buck will leave a fight if losing.

Only really stupid people who have never been in the outdoors would not know that.

And now who know who the really stupid people are.

Pretty horrific, BUT the doe was protecting her young, just as any mother would do, why the dog was running free, I can't figure? I wouldn't shoot at the doe at all, she has her rights as we do, it's called self defense, she doesn't know who is a threat & who isn't. I wonder how the dog ended up?
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    Pretty horrific, BUT the doe was protecting her young, just as any mother would do, why the dog was running free, I can't figure? I wouldn't shoot at the doe at all, she has her rights as we do, it's called self defense, she doesn't know who is a threat & who isn't. I wonder how the dog ended up?
    I think she may also have been disoriented or otherwise shw wouldnt have been in that part of town with her baby. She probably was already nervous just because of where she was then had people cats and dogs all screwing around. Fight response kicked in because she didnt know where to go if her flight responce decided to kick in. She was defending her fawn.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    The cat got away.

Cats haven't been domesticated for as long as dogs have been, maybe that has something to do with it. It didn't look to me like the dog did anything to provoke the attack, the deer just perceived him as a threat. As far as the dog not fighting back, deer are considered the deadliest animal in North America. They kill more people in North America each year than any other animal. I wouldn't expect a domesticated dog to know how to counter such a violent attack. The dog on the video wasn't all that big and he looked like he was completely taken by surprise. Who knows? He may have never even have seen a deer before!

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Cats haven't been domesticated for as long as dogs have been, maybe that has something to do with it. It didn't look to me like the dog did anything to provoke the attack, the deer just perceived him as a threat. As far as the dog not fighting back, deer are considered the deadliest animal in North America. They kill more people in North America each year than any other animal. I wouldn't expect a domesticated dog to know how to counter such a violent attack. The dog on the video wasn't all that big and he looked like he was completely taken by surprise. Who knows? He may have never even have seen a deer before!
    The fawn saw the dog first and went into a defensive position by getting as low to the ground as possible. Mamma took its cue from there. Poor dog was done for.. hope it survived with minimal injuries. It looked pretty violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    The fawn saw the dog first and went into a defensive position by getting as low to the ground as possible. Mamma took its cue from there. Poor dog was done for.. hope it survived with minimal injuries. It looked pretty violent.
    I heard that he was okay but in shock.

HOW the heck do you know that?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information