Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "if you're bad you are going to Father Baker's" - Started by WNYResident

Quote Originally Posted by anyones neighbor View Post
    When I was a kid (10-12) my folks used to travel across the rez to go to Dunkirk to bingo and took me along. Several times, my mom said as we passed the Thomas Indian School, "you'd better behave or we'll have to bring you down here.". Funny because I'd grown up with natives (in school) and my best friend today since kindergarten is native.
    So you weren't too intimidated by that "threat?" Sometimes parents think by threatening children will fear them and straighten out. Parents fail when they threaten and don't follow through.

Consequences need to be realistic and must be followed through. The parents need to be models and leaders that reflect acceptable and appropriate behaviors.

You sound well adjusted and happy.

anyones neighbor
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    So you weren't too intimidated by that "threat?" Sometimes parents think by threatening children will fear them and straighten out. Parents fail when they threaten and don't follow through.

Consequences need to be realistic and must be followed through. The parents need to be models and leaders that reflect acceptable and appropriate behaviors.

You sound well adjusted and happy.
    Actually I never misbehaved much at all. When I was REAL young, say 5 or 6 or so, I remember trading a brand new tricycle with a 3 wheeler that had a chain on it. (kid across the street from me had it and it was old BUT it had a chain). Anyway, I was made to get mine back and then I got a licking with the belt & got the hose turned on me. (I was afraid of water) Needless to say that was back in the 40's so things were different then.

You sound well adjusted and happy
    Thanks I think I am!

Quote Originally Posted by anyones neighbor View Post
    Actually I never misbehaved much at all. When I was REAL young, say 5 or 6 or so, I remember trading a brand new tricycle with a 3 wheeler that had a chain on it. (kid across the street from me had it and it was old BUT it had a chain). Anyway, I was made to get mine back and then I got a licking with the belt & got the hose turned on me. (I was afraid of water) Needless to say that was back in the 40's so things were different then.

You sound well adjusted and happy
    Thanks I think I am!
    Wow, a story that can be told by many. YOu're right in the 40's things were different. Keep smiling and keep the faith!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information