Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "if you're bad you are going to Father Baker's" - Started by WNYResident

"if you're bad you are going to Father Baker's" - Started by WNYResident

I guess that is the equivalent to "if you're bad you are going to Father Baker's" in my generation. My parents never said that because my grandparents worked for Baker Hall as house parents for a group home and it meant that we were going to see gramma and granpa. Instead we knew that if we were bad we will get punished by them, my parents, not the authorities. My father's best friend was a Buffalo Police officer so I grew up with respect for the police. And I have always had positive experiences with any interaction with police. As I grew up I found that I would suffer the consequences to doing something wrong. In the same breath I also found that if I do good I would also gain from the positive consequences. That is how discipline should work.

Unfortunately parents use scare tactics like the parent in the store and may not take on the responsibility for disciplining his/her own child. IMHO that is the problem teachers and the social service workers see day after day - parents who don't take parenting seriously and put the disciplining off on teachers, law enforcement and caseworkers.

I'm sorry for going on a diatribe but I have seen too many people not taking responsibility for raising their own children and pushing them onto to society to take care of them.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I'm sorry for going on a diatribe but I have seen too many people not taking responsibility for raising their own children and pushing them onto to society to take care of them.
    I don't have kids but do you ever notice some parent have no common sense?

Kids pick up the habits/traits the parents have. Bad parents raise bad kids. YOu don't need to have kids to know that.

Ok so you think parents should be able to discipline their children?

If you ground them, with no dinner cause they were 3hrs late coming home thats child abuse.

If you spank them its child abuse.

If you wash their mouths out with soap, thats child abuse.

If a teacher punishes a child, like they did 20years ago, thats child abuse and they will lose their license.

Today we must only speak to our children in a very calming, and soothing voice... even though they just did thousands of dollars damage... or ruined something thats irreplaceable.

the whole parenting thing by parents is over.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post

If you ground them, with no dinner cause they were 3hrs late coming home thats child abuse.

If a teacher punishes a child, like they did 20years ago, thats child abuse and they will lose their license.

Today we must only speak to our children in a very calming, and soothing voice... even though they just did thousands of dollars damage... or ruined something thats irreplaceable.

ITA - stupido - ugggggggg

we need to be their "friends"

they can be "anything" they want to be, so if they are 6 ft 6 and want to be a jockey who would say no? Or at 300 pounds a model? sure, no problem

ALL teams should be able to be tournament level, no matter if they are good or bad - they "deserve" the right to be on that tournament team -

EVERYONE gets a trophy
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I don't have kids but do you ever notice some parent have no common sense?

Kids pick up the habits/traits the parents have. Bad parents raise bad kids. YOu don't need to have kids to know that.
    Even good parents can raise bad kids. Just sayin'
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Well, I know a little about this topic that is for sure. My brother and I were always as a child doing something wrong in the eyes of mom. That meant breathing the wrong way, and ooops in the car we go and we got dropped off at Father Bakers and they would leave. My brother and I thought it such a beautiful place that when we were dropped off, we felt at peace. So he and I would run around and play and go inside and just had fun. We found being threatened to go there was not punishment for us. When they came back to get us, we didn't want to go.

Point in case, parents should be careful what they threaten their children with. If at home is worse than anywhere else, it becomes a self fulling prophecy then and the threat is actually a haven.

Abuse begins with the parent. Even a bad parent can produce a good child and they grow up to be great people. I am one of them, and all of my siblings who were abused, are great people. We all have raised great children. None of us raised our children the way our parents raised us.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Well, I know a little about this topic that is for sure. My brother and I were always as a child doing something wrong in the eyes of mom. That meant breathing the wrong way, and ooops in the car we go and we got dropped off at Father Bakers and they would leave. My brother and I thought it such a beautiful place that when we were dropped off, we felt at peace. So he and I would run around and play and go inside and just had fun. We found being threatened to go there was not punishment for us. When they came back to get us, we didn't want to go.

Point in case, parents should be careful what the!??y threaten their children with. If at home is worse than anywhere else, it becomes a self fulling prophecy then and the threat is actually a haven.

Abuse begins with the parent. Even a bad parent can produce a good child and they grow up to be great people. I am one of them, and all of my siblings who were abused, are great people. We all have raised great children. None of us raised our children the way our parents raised us.
    I am saddened that you had such a home life. I pray that you will be blessed for the remainder of your life. It is good to have the joy of knowing our Lord and Savior. He truly is a friend like no other.

BTW: Did you happen to check out the Basillica while you were exploring? It is an awesome place to visit.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    ITA - stupido - ugggggggg

we need to be their "friends"

they can be "anything" they want to be, so if they are 6 ft 6 and want to be a jockey who would say no? Or at 300 pounds a model? sure, no problem

ALL teams should be able to be tournament level, no matter if they are good or bad - they "deserve" the right to be on that tournament team -

EVERYONE gets a trophy

Don't forget encouraging them to try out for american idol when they obviously can't sing.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    I am saddened that you had such a home life. I pray that you will be blessed for the remainder of your life. It is good to have the joy of knowing our Lord and Savior. He truly is a friend like no other.

BTW: Did you happen to check out the Basillica while you were exploring? It is an awesome place to visit.
    You betch ya. My brother and I explored everything and took sanctuary in the beauty and peace of it all.

It is my faith that has risen me to a level of contentment knowing that our Lord has given me hope and love. This is where we reap the benefits of having Christ in our life.

To disciplin means to teach, you are suppose to use punishment to teach children the right way behave. The best example I can think of is if you are at a store with a little kid and the steal candy or something, you make them go and return it. If they make a mess, they clean it. If your kids aren't changing a behavior then you aren't doing the right discipline method. Every child is different, they all learn different, same goes for discipline.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    To disciplin means to teach, you are suppose to use punishment to teach children the right way behave. The best example I can think of is if you are at a store with a little kid and the steal candy or something, you make them go and return it. If they make a mess, they clean it. If your kids aren't changing a behavior then you aren't doing the right discipline method. Every child is different, they all learn different, same goes for discipline.
    Actually in child development, it is inappropriate to "punish" children. What we do as appropriate is to teach our children by modeling and setting the examples that produce a positive environment. If a child misbehaves, we do what is called a consequence vs reward system. Children benefit from a structured life style where parenting uses positive approaches as the child learns and benefits from it. The "do as I say and not as I do" should not exist in our society. Sadly, it does though.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post

Well, throw me in jail because if one of my kids needed a foot in the ass they got one. ( didnt happen often) I can honestly say although one put me through a little hell for a while, in general they are both decent young men and I dont really ever have to worry about them acting up or getting arrested. They both finished school and dont have drug problems. Not all of my friends can say that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post

Point in case, parents should be careful what they threaten their children with. If at home is worse than anywhere else, it becomes a self fulling prophecy then and the threat is actually a haven.

I grew up in an environment such as yours, and my 6 siblings and I all grew up to be good people. I "chose" to treat my child with love and respect as he was growing up. He's a nice young man with a great future ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsofatkat View Post
    I grew up in an environment such as yours, and my 6 siblings and I all grew up to be good people. I "chose" to treat my child with love and respect as he was growing up. He's a nice young man with a great future ahead of him.
    Awesome, although every situation poses different approaches, I just feel this approach works best.

Congrates on a fine young man raised by a loving family.

anyones neighbor
    When I was a kid (10-12) my folks used to travel across the rez to go to Dunkirk to bingo and took me along. Several times, my mom said as we passed the Thomas Indian School, "you'd better behave or we'll have to bring you down here.". Funny because I'd grown up with natives (in school) and my best friend today since kindergarten is native.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information