Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeyenko control equals disaster for your kids!

Makeyenko control equals disaster for your kids!

News Library

MAKEYENKO DEFENDS USING HIS INFLUENCE TO WIN JOBS FOR
    OTHERS

Published on December 18, 2000
    Author: ***MARGARET HAMMERSLEY
    News Staff Reporter
    © The Buffalo News Inc.
    Lackawanna School Board member John Makeyenko, who is also chairman of the city's Democratic Committee, makes no bones about it: He helps "qualified" people get jobs at many different governmental levels.

"I've helped out many people in the school district," said Makeyenko. "Some are my friends. Some I knew politically. Some I didn't know, but they had the qualifications. If you don't have the qualifications, you're not going to get a job from John Makeyenko." School Superintendent Monica Kole, in an unusual move, told the board publicly last week that hiring should be free of politics if the Lackawanna schools are to rise from a published rating of 96 among 98 Western New York districts. (Buffalo is at rock bottom).
    "Everybody here is related to everybody," Kole said later.
    Makeyenko agrees.
    "If they do a family tree in our school district, and I'm talking from the day it started, there are a lot of people related to one another," he said. "But you ain't going to see no Makeyenkos."
    Makeyenko, now in his second full term as a board member, ran last year's successful mayoral campaign of John J. Kuryak. He was elected city Democratic chairman three months ago.
    Before he became Democratic chairman, and before a turnover on a bitterly divided School Board, there was a hint to him that good jobs were available to his relatives, Makeyenko said.
    "I refused to put my family on the payroll," he said. "I've had many offers."
    His brothers and sisters have good jobs, but there were times -- during the Our lady of Victory Hospital layoffs, for instance -- when a job might have been attractive, he said.
    Three board members are current or former employees of the Lackawanna Police Department. The board's appointee as school attorney, Carl Morgan, is a former Lackawanna police lieutenant. Their relatives who are employees include:
    Susan M. Motyka, a teacher's aide, hired after her husband Kenneth, a police complaint writer, was elected to the board.
    Jackie Piotrowski, teacher's aide, hired after election of her father, Edward Piotrowski, retired police lieutenant.
    Carolyn Friend, cafeteria monitor, on the payroll prior to election of her relative, School Board member Robert Friend, a Lackawanna detective.
    John Kozak, hired last year as an English teacher and let go, is the son of former School Board member Diane Kozak.
    Now teaching with the Board of Cooperative Educational Services, Kozak said he really wanted to work in his hometown and worked actively with the students in extracurricular activities.
    The state Education Department has ordered the board to place him on a preferred eligibility list.
    "Being a Lackawanna resident and a graduate of St. Bonaventure with a 4.0 grade average, I could do a service for my Lackawanna community," he said. "Unfortunately, I was one of many political casualties."
    Makeyenko said relatives can get caught in the middle in School Board disputes and he would not want that to happen to his. He said he is one of the few that has no kin in jobs but he is not averse to recommending school job candidates, provided they are qualified.
    "If they want positions in the school district, city, state, county, I'll go to bat for them," he said.
    Board member Nancy Parker said she is aware that some relatives hold school posts.
    "I don't see a problem as long as they are doing their job," she said.
    Parker said Lackawanna has a great board, a great new superintendent in Monica Kole, and now, a great future.
    Two months ago the board reinstated Lackawanna residency as a job requirement, a policy Makeyenko strongly backs.
    Makeyenko notes that he personally does not have a lot of friends who are certified teachers and that the schools do not produce many students who become teachers. He would like to see that change.
    "That's why I want to have residency," he said. "If we're going to pay a teacher $50,000 a year in 10 years, I want to see them own a home in Lackawanna. The only way we're going to attract young families is by hiring people and making them live here."
    A former Golden Gloves champ and Marine, Makeyenko is in the odd position of recommending others for jobs when he does not have a paid position himself. After three herniated disks, he is on Social Security disability.
    "I live on $705 a month," he said.
    The divorced father of two owns a house in Bethlehem Park that he bought at a tax sale. Neighbors include his parents and two of his six siblings. Three months ago he was elected city Democratic chairman.

BILL WIPPERT/Buffalo News
    Lackawanna School Board member John Makeyenko, here in Bethlehem Park near his home, says that nepotism should have no place in the district's hiring practices.

Search again:

News Library

TEST TAKERS VYING FOR CAFETERIA MANAGER JOB

Published on October 12, 2001
    Author: ***MARGARET HAMMERSLEY - News Staff Reporter
    © The Buffalo News Inc.
    Twenty-one applicants, who believe they know their way around a kitchen, are signed up to take the civil service test for cafeteria manager of the Lackawanna School District at 9 a.m. Saturday in the Senior Citizens Center, 420 Martin Road.

Among them is Frank Gable, who has held the post on a provisional basis for a year. Gable friend John Makeyenko, now School Board president, tried unsuccessfully to persuade the Lackawanna Civil Service Commission to eliminate the test and allow the position to be appointive.
    Makeyenko, also chairman of the Lackawanna Democratic Committee, said that in about three months, Civil Service will provide a list of the test takers, ranked by their test scores. The board will offer the job to one of the top three.
    "Who knows who is going to be on the list in the top three?" said Makeyenko.
    On a related front, a pending shortfall in the school lunch program will go to the voters in a referendum Nov. 20, with the School Board asking for the right to transfer $60,000. The proposition appears on the same ballot as a request for an additional $800,000 bond for the planned elementary school.
    Former School Board member Diane Kozak questions whether part of the school lunch shortage results from the 1999 appointment of Gable as head cook.
    "Part of the $60,000 is a $10,000 shortfall that came when Makeyenko's board majority gave the head cook job to Frank Gable," she said.
    Gable lost the head cook job when arbitrator James R. McDonnell ruled that Sandra Mach should receive it. McDonnell awarded back pay to Mach, a sum she recollects as about $10,000.
    The decision handed down by McDonnell expressed disapproval of Makeyenko's attempt to help Gable.
    "This arbitrator finds that John Makeyenko's interference in the hiring process not only violates the contract but puts grave doubts on his motives," McDonnell said.
    Gable moved up when the better job of cafeteria manager opened up last year, and he was appointed provisionally.
    Kozak questions whether more effective food service management could have avoided the $60,000 shortfall. School District Senior Accountant Sameh Masry said a surplus that carried the program for several years now is running out.
    Masry said the school lunch program took in revenues of $840,681 last yearbut cost $913,141. He said the cost figure includes all salaries and benefits. Seeking a transfer now will help him hold the line on next year's school budget, Masry said.
    "It is done now so I do not have to increase next year's budget," he said.
    Masry and Makeyenko say they do not know whether the payment to Mach is reflected in the shortfall.
    Besides the $60,000 transfer, the board referendum seeks the right to sell $800,000 in bonds to meet the additional costs on what was originally planned as a new $13.1 million school. General contractor bids came in $900,000 above estimates, Masry said.
    Action on the $800,000 will determine whether the new building includes an auditorium, Makeyenko said.
    e-mail: mhammersley@buffnews.com

Search again:

News Library

PARENTS LASH OUT AT SCHOOL BOARD

Published on February 15, 2001
    Author: ***MARGARET HAMMERSLEY
    News Staff Reporter
    © The Buffalo News Inc.
    Lackawanna parents did not need the missing microphone to make their feelings clear to four Board of Educations members responsible for paying a lawyer $225 an hour in taxpayer money to investigate the new school superintendent.

Their voices, mostly in support of Superintendent Monica Kole, were loud and clear Wednesday although the public address system usually provided for public comment was absent. "Nobody has given her a chance," said parent Anne Wrodarczyk. "You don't like what she is trying to do to get rid of your political garbage".
    Although each board member had a personal microphone, the device usually available to speakers had disappeared. The name plate of every board member was in place, but the one that usually rests before Kole was not provided.
    Arthur Gill addressed himself directly to the board vice president, John Makeyenko, blaming him for giving a job to a friend and costing the schools thousands of dollars when an aggrieved cook won an arbitration.
    "We, the taxpayers, want to thank you for that," said Gill.
    "You're welcome," replied Makeyenko, chairman of the Lackawanna Democratic Committee.
    "Stop the frivolous spending, stop the ridiculous accusations, stop the political retaliation and focus on the educational needs of our children," said Judy Faircloth.
    Makeyenko took issue with a parent's claim that children must share biology books, holding up a paper that he said shows Lackawanna spends 14 percent more than the state allows for such books.
    "It's right here, baby," he yelled through his microphone.
    When parents sought to respond, board President Kenneth S. Motyka shouted them down through his microphone, saying their 3-minute limit was up.
    When Motyka tried to cut off Joseph DiCenzo, saying his time was up. The First Ward resident triumphantly held up an egg timer.
    "No, they are not up," yelled DiCenzo, as the crowd applauded. "This next election is going to be the greatest turnout you have ever seen."
    The terms of Motyka and M. Elaine Mandy end this school year and an election will be held May 15 to decide who will serve new three-year terms.
    "Tell us about the California trip," DiCenzo challenged.
    The pending five-day trip to San Diego of three board members and Hamburg attorney Carl W. Morgan, who represents the board, was not openly discussed. However, Morgan, when asked outside the meeting, confirmed the trip. Morgan will accompany Mandy, Makeyenko and Robert T. Friend to the annual meeting of the National School Boards Association.
    Judy Faircloth, noting that high school clocks have not worked properly in three years, asked how the four board members can spend $225 an hour to investigate undisclosed allegations against Kole but cannot repair clocks.
    Motyka responded that spending must come from funds assigned for specific purposes.
    Denise Brill said the money that will go to attorney John M. Curran, hired as special counsel for the investigation, would be better spent to hook school computers to the Internet and provide students with college-level advanced placement classes.
    At one point, Makeyenko defended his position as a public servant.
    "We don't get no money," he said. "We get nothing but aggravation from people. (We) enjoy helping people."
    In response, laughter filled the crowded high school cafeteria where the meeting was held. A parent shouting from the back of the room suggested that he could dance instead. Makeyenko in the past has publicly confirmed that, to make money, he appeared some years ago as an almost nude dancer at a party for teachers.
    "I'd be happy to," said Makeyenko, who says his sole income is disability. "I make $750 a month."
    Patty DiVito said money going to the Kole probe and other board investigations does nothing to help children's education.
    In a related matter, the board, over DiCenzo's objections, voted to eliminate 18 polling places, leaving only a total of six, for a saving of $6,000.
    Parent Mohamed Albanna urged the board to keep the past level of polling places, rescind the hiring of the investigating lawyer, and support Kole's recommendation to join the Board of Educational Services to save money on special programs.
    "Can you explain to me about BOCES?" asked Makeyenko. "I don't know a lot about it."
    Motyka called time on Albanna, who held up DiCenzo's egg timer to claim he had not reached the limit.
    The deadline for joining BOCES is June 30, an administrator said.
    In other action, the board appointed Francis J. Michaels Jr. as supervisor of building and grounds.

DEREK GEE/Buffalo News
    Angry parents Anne Wrodarczyk and Joseph DiCenzo, deprived of a microphone during a tumultuous Lackawanna School Board meeting, blast board Vice President John Makeyenko and shout their support for Superintendent Monica Kole.

Search again:

News Library

CHAIRMEN OF PARTY NOW HEAD BOARD

Published on July 3, 2001
    Author: ***MARGARET HAMMERSLEY - News Staff Reporter
    © The Buffalo News Inc.
    The two men who head the Lackawanna Democratic Party now also head the Lackawanna School Board, with its almost $27 million budget and more than 200 faculty jobs.

In the annual reorganization meeting Monday, the board named John Makeyenko president and Skay Abdallah vice president. They are chairman and vice chairman, respectively, of the city Democratic Party. Makeyenko was board vice president last year. The board also increased its legal contingent from five lawyers to six lawyers and a law firm. It raised the salary of staff attorney Carl Morgan, who earned $53,000 annually a year ago, to $61,000.
    Richard S. Juda was reappointed attorney for special education, at a salary of $31,500, plus benefits. He is the only lawyer to receive benefits. Arc J. Petricca was renamed sexual harassment officer at $5,000.
    Attorney Charles Myzel, board negotiator at $15,000 for the past school year, was replaced by two lawyers and a law firm.
    "There are five contracts (expired) right now," said Makeyenko.
    Negotiations with unions will be divided among Antonio Savaglio, clerks and nonprofessionals, $16,500; Santo Campanella, nurses and administrators, $16,500; and Damon & Morey, teachers, $20,000.
    "Last year, I was asked to negotiate for all five (contracts)," Myzel said.
    The appointments of the lawyers drew comment after the meeting from citizens not allowed to speak during the session.
    Former board member Diane Kozak said the board is now headed by the city's Democratic chairman and vice chairman and has tapped a law firm, Damon & Morey, that includes county Democratic Chairman G. Steven Pigeon.
    Joseph DiCenzo, a citizen who studies public budgets, noted the $150,500 the board voted in salaries for lawyers is $5,000 more than in the recently passed budget for that purpose.
    "When the board encourages voters to pass a budget, they always say, 'Do it for the kids,' " DiCenzo said.
    The board also:
    Rescheduled its meeting times for board and work sessions, from the second Monday and second Wednesday of the month, respectively, to the third Monday and third Wednesday. The new meeting days begin in August.
    Mohamed Albanna, pointing out that the third Monday is also the meeting date for City Council, urged the School Board to avoid a conflict.
    Makeyenko said the board's meeting dates were changed to give Superintendent Paul Hashem more time to prepare. He did not rule out further changes in the meeting schedule.
    OK'd a travel policy, despite the protests of new board member Robert Lohr, who objected to the board's allowing members to travel to conferences across the country without any requirement to report back in open session on expenditures or what they did.
    He said the practice appears to conflict with the board travel policy approved in 1996.
    Makeyenko urged that the board first approve the policy, then determine if it conflicts with the 1996 policy.
    "We can act on this and have Mr. Morgan check the policies," he said.
    Revised the rules for public comment at regular meetings, allowing five speakers to comment at the start of the meeting and five speakers at the close. Each speaker would be allotted three minutes.
    To speak, residents have to sign up before the opening of a regular meeting. Public comment is not allowed at other meetings.

Search again:

Thumbs down Interesting!!!

Seems like the Board President Makeyenko was paying these certian lawyers a ton of money long before the current majority decided to pay a LAW FIRM $180 an hour. Are you kidding me. Talk about a waste of money! All of these guys needed a piece of the pie for what? The amount they spent then still doesn't come to what they spend now.Talk about politics this thing reeks. Traveling to conferences without reporting on conference and expenditures during an open meeting shows a lack of accountability!
    Last edited by mnb811; May 16th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.

WOW- this thread is crazy.

I am not sure what the point is....(other than bashing a board member). School board members are elected by the people and once in, they are each one of seven votes. Deals are MADE EVERYWHERE on school boards because they need each other's vote/support. Lackawanna is no different than every other school district. Lackawanna just gets more publicity!

Right or wrong, that is a fact. If any one member gets "control", remember- it takes a number of peers to agree to give a person that control. My only concern is that all work toward good and be for the kids. That has NEVER been the case because in order to focus on the children, sacrifices will have to be made that involve CUTTING STAFF, REQUIRING ACCOUNTABILITY and
    being WILLING TO MAKE DECISIONS NOW THAT WILL CHANGE HOW THINGS OPERATE! Leadership in the schools (Superintendent) and on the board(President) should be working together to make some radical changes now to prepare for what will be coming in the next two years...it will get worse and the Board (at that time) will be left with the dirty work of cutting even more jobs across all areas.

Isn't it strange that all other districts are laying off large numbers and Lackawanna isn't? Once again, here we go with the Bethlehem Steel saga...it will never happen to us. Is there no one out there bold enough to do the right thing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bashing??? It's his record. It stands out doesn't it.

Number one it is not bashing a board member it is his record. His record of intimidating fellow members, not listening to parents and definately not changing a thing. He is about jobs jobs and more jobs. Once again why would you want to have someone who has been on this board for years along with Mr. Miller who is PART OF THE PROBLEM. Same old Same old nothing will change with these guys. Haven't we already been down this road? Time to get people not connected to CITY HALL in office. Do you really think Makeyenko is just one guy with one vote. He will have Rozwood, Leonetti, Miller, Friend and himself making the same stupid decisions down the same old path of jobs/politics instead of doing what is right for our children. You of all people should know what he is all about. You tried to change things and he shut you down. I agree with a lot of your posts but seriously this guy has been in office since the nineties and hasn't changed his thinking one bit. What makes you think he has any intention of doing it now? The city hall controlled people will never ever put the children first and never have because they need the jobs and patronage to stay in power simple as that. This district is nothing but a job service for political parties.They could care less about educating your children because if they did it would have changed a long time ago.
    Last edited by mnb811; May 17th, 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    Number one it is not bashing a board member it is his record. His record of intimidating fellow members, not listening to parents and definately not changing a thing. He is about jobs jobs and more jobs. Once again why would you want to have someone who has been on this board for years along with Mr. Miller who is PART OF THE PROBLEM. Same old Same old nothing will change with these guys. Haven't we already been down this road? Time to get people not connected to CITY HALL in office. Do you really think Makeyenko is just one guy with one vote. He will have Rozwood, Leonetti, Miller, Friend and himself making the same stupid decisions down the same old path of jobs/politics instead of doing what is right for our children. You of all people should know what he is all about. You tried to change things and he shut you down. I agree with a lot of your posts but seriously this guy has been in office since the nineties and hasn't changed his thinking one bit. What makes you think he has any intention of doing it now? The city hall controlled people will never ever put the children first and never have because they need the jobs and patronage to stay in power simple as that. This district is nothing but a job service for political parties.They could care less about educating your children because if they did it would have changed a long time ago.
    Do you EVER write the truth? Makeyenko and Miller served together on the board for one year. Hold up only the middle finger on your right hand. That's one. Or count how many friends you have. ooops, that's less than one.

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    Do you EVER write the truth? Makeyenko and Miller served together on the board for one year. Hold up only the middle finger on your right hand. That's one. Or count how many friends you have. ooops, that's less than one.
    Bashing me again. Reading comprehension must not be taught in Lackawanna. I never said they served on the board together I said the both were on the board before. Learn how to read or comprehend please!Otherwise keep to yourself and go home. All you people ever do is bash someone with a different opinion.John has been on this thing forever off and on. Miller has been on the board to. Nothing will change because they have been there and done that.

]
    He can run on his record as a board member, he did last year and won, get over it!

You idiots sit here and bash every elected official in this city. There is one thing you forget, the majority of the public non political persons like these people. How the hell do you think they got in office you idiot! Go ahead and keep offending everyone, that works well when trying to win an election!
    1 day left of this non sense, then you can move on to bashing the next election!

Post Please

OH Please Stop---YOUR Nose is growing by the second!

Except in my case --- The Politicians attacked me personally AND,
    1. " The City" spent over $25,000 of tax dollars in 2008 to come after me about my building. Drive around the City and look at all the buildings, especially the burned out one since 2003 on Holland, A sweetheart deal is currently cooking for that one.

2. Bashing?!!?? HAHAHA! Too Funny! Am I missing something here?

I have tried 3x now to no avail to wave the white flag.
    At least all of us who try to help out of the goodness of our heart, say to you-----We Are NOT Responsible for the Mess the City is in--YOU ARE!

So take credit where credit is due.

****The People ""LIKE THE PEOPLE IN OFFICE""****?? Try some are wannabees and others are fearful of their assessments, retaliation, and plain old SICK of their lies and greed. They are the "Silent Majority" who are so turned off from the dirty poli-tricks that they do not even come out to vote.

Not only is your nose growing, you better make your doorways larger to fit your head through.

Insanity Quotes

Some are born mad. Some remain so.
    Author: Samuel Beckett

Like men condemned to thunderbolts, Who, ere the blow, become mere dolts.
    Author: Samuel Butler (1)
    Source: Hudibras (pt. III, canto II, l. 565)

Much madness is divinest sense To a discerning eye; Much sense the starkest madness. 'Tis the majority In this, as all, prevails Assent, and you are sane; Demur,--you're straightway dangerous, And handled with a chain.
    Author: Emily Dickinson
    (1891 ed.)

For those whom God to ruin has designed He fits for fate, and first destroys their mind.
    Author: John Dryden

There is a pleasure, sure, In being mad, which none but madmen know!

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The alleged power to charm down insanity, or ferocity in beasts, is a power behind the eye.
    Author: Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Source: Essays--Conduct of Life--Of Behaviour

But the devil when he purports any evil against man, first perverts his mind. [Lat., At daemon, homini quum struit aliquid malum, Pervertit illi primitus mentem suam.]
    Author: Euripides

But when Fate destines one to ruin it begins by blinding the eyes of his understanding.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....SHUUUUT UP #1 Lackawanna Loser! Shut up already, we know your head is stuck up makeyenko's ass. Shut up!

The divorced father of two owns a house in Bethlehem Park that he bought at a tax sale. Neighbors include his parents and two of his six siblings. Three months ago he was elected city Democratic chairman.

What happened to the father of the year? Forget about your first born when you spoke?

Bashing me again. Reading comprehension must not be taught in Lackawanna. I never said they served on the board together I said the both were on the board before. Learn how to read or comprehend please!Otherwise keep to yourself and go home. All you people ever do is bash someone with a different opinion.John has been on this thing forever off and on. Miller has been on the board to. Nothing will change because they have been there and done that.
    Learn how to write and then we can comprehend.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information