Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasonable Roofing Contractor

Reasonable Roofing Contractor

I need to start thinking about getting my roof repaired/replaced, as I've noticed a few shingles starting to curl.

If it can simply be repaired, I would prefer that, however, if it needs to be replaced, I would like the lowest cost possible without sacrificing quality.

The current shingles are asphalt, with Cedar Shake acting as sheathing beneath, which does not have any leaks that I have seen.

If the roof needs to be replaced, I'd like someone who can do gutters, too---to replace the old style "Yankee Gutters" that I have with modern ones.

My roof is a pretty steep pitch, so I would prefer a company that has its own insurance, rather than a handyman that just takes risks.

(I estimate the roof to be around 2200 sq ft.)

Anyone have any good contractors that will tell me honestly whether I need a repair or a replacement---and have you had experience with them?

(Kaz bros is out for personal reasons.)
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Sounds like your in the same boat as me. you have an older farm house, with a super steep roof, yankee gutters and cedar shake.

Now for the BAD BAD BAD news...

full replacement means a complete tearoff. including the cedar shake and redo it with plywood. then tar paper and shingles of your choice. how high is it?

Make sure, who ever you hire has atleast 1 mill in insurance.

Also, let us know who you go with and what they charged =)

oh and one last thing, industry standard is ice and water shield, one row along the roofs lower edge.

If you can, opt to have two rows put on, the roofer might tell ya its not needed, but is he gonna pay the thousands of dollars damage in 5 yrs when the gutters back up and the water goes under the shingles and over the first row? no he isnt. might cost a couple hundred more but its worth it.

Ice and water shield is a roll.. basically, its like a giant ashphalt shingle, 2ft wide, 25ft long ( might be shorter) with an adhesive backing... you put this on first then tar paper over it... but its better to have two rows instead of one, giving u effectively 4ft wide of ice and water shield.

Also, who ever you choose, be sure to buy everyone tim hortons coffee in the morning, or pizza for lunch or something, youll get a better job out of it.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

The quotes I've seen so far were anywhere between 3700-8700.

I was going to use OSB instead of ply, but I'm rethinking that, because my attic is actually a living space for the second floor apartment, so its drywalled and everything down there. I'd rather not have something ever going leaking through the roof where I'd have to replace drywall and carpet and crap.

I did my own with steel shingles, http://www.decra.com . You can't even tell that it's metal roofing. Material cost was 75% higher, but it's got a 50 year life and resists 150mph winds.

I'd recommend JMT construction for the roofing job. They do good work. Whatever you do, don't go with the low bid on this. You should be spending at least 6k+ for a full tear-off and resheet. Probably more like the 7-8k range. If you plan on moving soon, go with a lower bid though.

For the minimal extra cost, if you plan on staying in the house, get the shingles with the longest rated life that you can find.

Just Roofing - 716-456-4324.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    I did my own with steel shingles, http://www.decra.com . You can't even tell that it's metal roofing. Material cost was 75% higher, but it's got a 50 year life and resists 150mph winds.

I'd recommend JMT construction for the roofing job. They do good work. Whatever you do, don't go with the low bid on this. You should be spending at least 6k+ for a full tear-off and resheet. Probably more like the 7-8k range. If you plan on moving soon, go with a lower bid though.

For the minimal extra cost, if you plan on staying in the house, get the shingles with the longest rated life that you can find.

I would love to do the job myself, but my roof is pitched just way too much, and I'm scared to death of heights. If it was a one story house, or even a two-story with a lesser pitch, I would consider it.

I am probably on my way out of Buffalo, but I am planning on keeping the house as a rental unit, since I'll never be able to squeeze a profit out of it at the moment.

swicks roofing is a great reliable company I did commercial roofing for many years and those steep residential roofs always fetch a higher bid well good luck with every thing
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Anyone ever work with Ivy Lea Construction? They're the first company to get back to me so far....

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    Anyone have any good contractors that will tell me honestly whether I need a repair or a replacement---and have you had experience with them?
    Mikenold is the one to ask. It is on his blood. His family has been doing roofing for a LOOOONNNGGGGG time. Too bad Mike sits behind a keyboard these days though. haha

I am about to get my roof done also. I have shake shingles also. Too bad sheathing just went up a decent amount recently. I am waiting for the price to lower and them jump on a bunch.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    then tar paper and shingles of your choice.
    oh and one last thing, industry standard is ice and water shield, one row along the roofs lower edge.
    You will need two rows most likely. I highly recommend doing the whole roof in the ice shield. I am, the cost is not that much more relatively speaking. Skip the felt paper.

I will be using OSB too. These days it is stronger than the junk plywood available. It is so sad what happened to lumber quality over the last 20 years.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

On the ice shield, I believe code is so many inches inside the wall line, so if you have large overhangs you will need two for sure. It comes in 36" rolls which is better. Like I said, get the whole thing done in it. It is worth it.

7-8 grand sounds like a reasonable price for your size home in the City. Maybe more if it is a hip roof vs a gable, or gable with valleys.

YOU will pay to have the job done right..

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    On the ice shield, I believe code is so many inches inside the wall line, so if you have large overhangs you will need two for sure. It comes in 36" rolls which is better. Like I said, get the whole thing done in it. It is worth it.

7-8 grand sounds like a reasonable price for your size home in the City. Maybe more if it is a hip roof vs a gable, or gable with valleys.
    FIGURE ABOUT $500/SQ.....for a strip job with plywood...get multiple estimates with written specs...if they dont wanna do it..then you dont want to hire that contractor. pay for an architectural shingle..at least 35 yr life span. You could also talk to your local bldg insp, get his opinion of your select contractor...it does help.

I replaced the Yankee gutters with the standard hanging type ... big mistake. In winter, the sun warms the roof which makes the snow melt - but metal gutters don't heat up like roofing, so the water freezes in them until they are solid ice, then everything drips over the edge and causes ice build-up on the ground. Beside that, the weight of ice slowly pulls the gutters off the house.

Next roofing job = back to Yankee gutters.

effigy sounds like your roof may also not be properly insulated.

Is OSB even legal for roofs? Generaly they use 5/8 plywood, which is alot stronger than the OSB I have seen.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    effigy sounds like your roof may also not be properly insulated.

Is OSB even legal for roofs? Generaly they use 5/8 plywood, which is alot stronger than the OSB I have seen.
    Huh?.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information