Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kindel plans to run as independent Republican

Kindel plans to run as independent Republican

Kindel plans to run as independent Republican

By THOMAS J. DOLAN
    News Staff Reporter
    2/12/2007

Amherst Council Member William L. Kindel won't be asking town Republicans to endorse his bid this fall for a seventh term on the Town Board, he announced Friday.
    Instead, Kindel plans to run as an independent Republican, a strategy that will likely force the town party into a primary election.

In a letter dated Thursday to town Republican Chairman Marshall Wood, Kindel blamed Supervisor Satish B. Mohan for his decision not to seek the party's endorsement.

"My decision to run as an independent is based on my belief that the values I hold are in direct conflict with the values that our Republican supervisor holds," he said.

The letter, which refers to Mohan several times without naming him, goes on to complain that "our Republican supervisor" tried to impose "drastic" budget cuts on police and other town workers and was "exercising his influence" on the party by hand-picking three candidates in "pre-endorsement meetings."

When he ran for re-election in 1999, Kindel also did not seek the party's endorsement, but he got it anyway. And in the 2003 race, he was again endorsed by the party.

Both Wood and Mohan rejected Kindel's contentions.

"I have had no pre-endorsement meetings," Mohan said, "and I do not control the Republican Committee. I have one of the 214 votes, and I will exercise my vote at the proper time."

With regard to "pre-endorsement meetings," Mohan said that - several weeks ago - he invited about 12 "citizens" to his home for a "brainstorming meeting about the future agenda of our town."

But he and Wood have pledged that the party's choice of candidates will be an "open and transparent process," Mohan said.

Wood said that he knows of as many as nine possible candidates to fill the three Town Board seats up for election in November and that any candidate hoping for the party's blessing will have to appear at a March 8 endorsement meeting.

Regarding the prospects of a primary fight, Wood said he relishes the contest, which he said will "energize the party and energize the committee."

Kindel said he realized his philosophy was "very different from that of our supervisor" in October, when Mohan tried to cut the budgets for police, fire districts and the Highway Department."

And he accused Mohan of tampering with town assessments, saying the move will raise taxes for "thousands of Amherst senior citizens."

But Mohan said Kindel was wrong about tax increases. "It's a pity that our long-term council members have not learned how the process works," he said.

Mohan has made it clear that he hopes voters will remove Town Board members who have blocked his agenda, but he would not predict the outcome of the elections.

"I only know that the voters are hooked and clicked with my agenda, and I'm hoping that they vote [for] the right members so that the agenda can be advanced," Mohan said.

e-mail: tdolan@buffnews.com
    Pleading Ignorance here..... What is an "Independent Republican"? Does it just mean he is running as an Independent?

Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    Pleading Ignorance here..... What is an "Independent Republican"? Does it just mean he is running as an Independent?
    It means that he plans to run with or without party endorsement. It forces the GOP to either endorse him to avoid a costly primary or not endorse him & let the voters decide what names appear on the ballot.(in a primary). I hope that all the anti-Satish people get out & vote in the primary. Voting for Kindle would send a message to Satish loud & clear. Mohan is a dictator!

And somebody you deserve!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf
    It means that he plans to run with or without party endorsement. It forces the GOP to either endorse him to avoid a costly primary or not endorse him & let the voters decide what names appear on the ballot.(in a primary). I hope that all the anti-Satish people get out & vote in the primary. Voting for Kindle would send a message to Satish loud & clear. Mohan is a dictator!
    Do you think voting for a blowhard like Bill Kindle merely to send a message to Mohan is really a good idea? Face it, Mohan wouldn't "get" the message, so why waste a Town Board seat on an ineffective strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|
    Do you think voting for a blowhard like Bill Kindle merely to send a message to Mohan is really a good idea? Face it, Mohan wouldn't "get" the message, so why waste a Town Board seat on an ineffective strategy?

So who do you suggest that we waste a vote on? Marlette? Rabenold? Weinstein? Comet, Donner or Vixon? Shad? Collen Bogdon? Weppner?
    Kindle seems to be the best choice to me!!

So who do you suggest that we waste a vote on? Marlette? Rabenold? Weinstein? Comet, Donner or Vixon? Shad? Collen Bogdon? Weppner?
    Kindle seems to be the best choice to me!!
    I do not know who these people are for sure . nor to I know if they are really candidates. Do you? I heard at the mnarket that someone from the Eggertsville area may try to become a Town Councilman. I don't think ANY ANY vote should be "wasted". Maybe Jon Stevens will run for election. He moght do a good job. Shouldn't we get rid of the old people on the Town of Amherst political board? I can't imagine that Bill Kindle is up-to-date with the lastest things. He moght know about things from the 1970's but that's not good enough.

Thanks for the answer!

And no matter who you vote for the important thing is you VOTE!

Unregistered
    I'm fairly certain Satish has already heard the loud-and-clear message of the people. I think Kindel's EGO is afraid his party won't back him due to his baby antics shortly after Mohan was elected. If you think about it, trying to get around that could be more costly in campaign ad's than having a primary for his seat.

Does anyone know where it is documented exactly what contributions Kindel has given Amherst over his tenure? Aside from lip service?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA
    I'm fairly certain Satish has already heard the loud-and-clear message of the people. I think Kindel's EGO is afraid his party won't back him due to his baby antics shortly after Mohan was elected. If you think about it, trying to get around that could be more costly in campaign ad's than having a primary for his seat.
    I'd have to agree with you. I attend pretty much all TB meetings, I think Kindle has the most common sense & he's not afraid to speak his mind. If there was a better slate, I'd probably not vote for him. I cringe when I think of who Mohan is grooming!

Quote Originally Posted by a-new-voice
    Does anyone know where it is documented exactly what contributions Kindel has given Amherst over his tenure? Aside from lip service?
    His "lip service" isn't always a bad thing. I respect him for his attempt to fracture the Mohan Dynasty. Mohan himself stated that he has had a meeting at his home to decide who would be best to run. The GOP has a chairman & that is HIS responsibility to field exceptional candidates. We don't want a dictatorship. We want an interactive, diverse, bipartisan government.

His "lip service" isn't always a bad thing. I respect him for his attempt to fracture the Mohan Dynasty. Mohan himself stated that he has had a meeting at his home to decide who would be best to run. The GOP has a chairman & that is HIS responsibility to field exceptional candidates. We don't want a dictatorship. We want an interactive, diverse, bipartisan government.
    I wouldn't say Mohan has a dynasty... in fact here is the definition of dynasty according to websters:

dynasty

dy.nas.ty \'di--n*-ste-, -.nas-te-, esp Brit 'din-*-ste-\ n 1: a succession
    of rulers of the same line of descent 2: a powerful group or family that
    maintains its position for a considerabl e time

----

None of the definition is attributble to Satish. Dictator? He is a Supervisor and the towns folk are able to voice thier opinions and dissent, and in a dictatorship that isn't really possible.

Amherst is a pretty savvy town, the people are pretty good ( I live in WIlliamsville) so as long as Satish has been there the environment is still interactive, diverse, and bipartisan.

He'll be gone and then you'll have someone else to gripe about. I promise!

Problems as an independent Republican

If Kindel runs independent of the party endorsement, he will run idown a rough road. If he doesn't get the endorsement then he will have to circulate his own petitions. He'll go against an organized party machine that has unlimited manpower to get signatures. He will also go against the "time factor". If a person signs more then one petition then it's the first signature that counts. So it's not only the number of signatures but also the timeliness of the signatures. A daunting task without a good organization.
    dono

Quote Originally Posted by Dvoakley
    If Kindel runs independent of the party endorsement, he will run idown a rough road. If he doesn't get the endorsement then he will have to circulate his own petitions. He'll go against an organized party machine that has unlimited manpower to get signatures. He will also go against the "time factor". If a person signs more then one petition then it's the first signature that counts. So it's not only the number of signatures but also the timeliness of the signatures. A daunting task without a good organization.
    DVoakley's post above does not sound quite as definitive as he did almost a year ago. Remember this from May '06....

Quote Originally Posted by Dvoakley
    Bill Kindel is now in his death throes as a member of the Town Board. But just the final bells toll for him, he continues to bow to the orders of the AIP chairman... ...It would be wise for him to check on his ex-councilman's benefits and start making plans.

There is a reason that the expression "political whore" came to light. Satish became the media darling, the underdog, when he ran for office. The republican chairman (a nice guy but always a hand puppet) did not support him, neither did Shelly or the executive committee of the ARC. Rabenold was their darling so much so that some of the officers were outside polling places with bull horns encouraging voters to vote for Dirk.

But then the unbelievable happnens...Satish wins and the rest is history. Shelly and Sue Jaros are attached at his hip and the Rep. chair is fawning all over him. Notice that even Billy O is starting to support some of his resolutions. Why would they all act this way...you ask?? Because they are trying to syphon off Satish's popularity. They're using him. They're selling themselves to get elected or re-elected or appointed to some office. The other "power broker" to watch is our darling Doctor Barry who like Satish "knows everything" and can do everything. He couldn't influence change at the county level so he's looking for a new arena where he can exercise some control. How much do you want to bet that he was one of the "citizens" who met at Satish's palace????

I never voted for Kindel before but .......things change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information