Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: State Sen. Byron W. Brown intends to run for mayor

State Sen. Byron W. Brown intends to run for mayor

FOCUS: POLITICS
    Brown's Team Albany

As State Sen. Byron W. Brown prepares to run for mayor next year, he's crafting a staff rich with political operatives - including Democratic insider G. Steven Pigeon
    The Capitol in Albany sits 280 miles east of Buffalo City Hall, but inside the statehouse's gray stone walls a cadre of insiders is hatching a strategy to elect Buffalo's next mayor.
    State Sen. Byron W. Brown intends to run for mayor next year. And in preparation, the Buffalo Democrat has assembled a staff of state employees resembling a Who's Who of the area's most experienced political operatives.

They are led by G. Steven Pigeon, the former Erie County Democratic chairman, who still maintains a following among some local Democrats and is expected to head Brown's fund-raising operation next year.

Pigeon also has close ties to B. Thomas Golisano, owner of the Buffalo Sabres, three-time gubernatorial candidate and an icon in the Independence Party, which could play a key role in the mayoral race by endorsing Brown.

Others on Brown's payroll include several longtime Pigeon lieutenants, the former head of the Erie County Liberal Party, a former state senator and the current chairman of the Grand Island Democratic Party.

While there is nothing illegal about hiring political operatives as state legislative aides - and officeholders universally employ such people on their staffs - the extent of Brown's operation is drawing its share of criticism.

"Clearly, the intent there is to elect Byron mayor," said Erie County Clerk David J. Swarts, a longtime Pigeon foe. "The nesting of Steve and his supporters in Byron Brown's shop indicates where he wants to go. It's a marriage of convenience."

Assemblyman Sam Hoyt, another Buffalo Democrat viewed as a Brown competitor for mayor in 2005, calls Brown's staff "heavy on the political side."

"I was extremely surprised when I first heard Steve Pigeon was the highest-paid member of Byron's staff," Hoyt said. "From a public policy and political standpoint, it does not make a great deal of sense to me."

Hoyt's staff consists of chief of staff John Maggiore, 32, a Buffalo native with a degree from Harvard's Kennedy School of Government who worked in former Gov. Mario Cuomo's office for a year before joining Hoyt's staff eight years ago. He earns $57,000 annually and works in Albany and Buffalo.

Also on Hoyt's Albany staff are a full-time legislative director and part-time secretary, neither of whom are politically connected, he said. Hoyt said the three full-time employees working out of his Buffalo office were also hired based on qualifications and are not politically connected. Aside from Maggiore, the other Hoyt staffers earn $32,000 or less annually, he said.

"The only criteria I look for in hiring staff is their ability to deliver for the people I represent, and it isn't based on party affiliation or politics," Hoyt said. In his case, Brown defends his employees as tireless workers on behalf of his constituents and denies that the percentage of political types differs significantly from other major officeholders. He declined, however, to compare his staff to any other area legislator.

"I have a staff that has not only a wealth of political experience but governmental and community experience as well," he said. "They've been extremely helpful."

Seven with political ties

At least seven local men with extensive political backgrounds are state employees and assigned to Brown, though several are technically paid by the Senate minority leader. All maintain relationships with important political entities in Erie County or have experience in running local and statewide campaigns.

Pigeon, for example, enjoys extensive statewide contacts that he is expected to tap for a major fund-raising effort in 2005.

Two of his top lieutenants from various local and statewide campaigns - Steven M. Casey and Gary D. Parenti - are also on Brown's payroll and are expected to aid his campaign when it formally gets under way next year.

Other recognizeable names on the Brown payroll with significant political contacts or experience include Raymond F. Gallagher, the former state senator and chairman of the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority; James F. Notaro, former head of the now-defunct Erie County Liberal Party; and Daniel T. Quider, a former North Council member who now runs the Grand Island Democratic Party.

Brown emerged from last year's coup in the Senate minority on the winning side and, as a result, preserved his patronage.

Brown supported new Minority Leader David A. Paterson of Harlem over former Minority Leader Martin Connor of Brooklyn. That allowed him to keep the posts held by Pigeon, Casey and Parenti under former Minority Leader Connor.

"The new minority leader made the decision that, if I wanted to, I could retain the Western New York staff already in place," Brown said. "I made the decision to do that."

He said Pigeon's skills as an attorney and his familiarity with state government prove invaluable in helping prepare legislation. Brown also praised the work of his other staffers, whom he said often devote far more than 40 hours per week to their jobs.

Satisfied with Pigeon

The senator said he is satisfied with Pigeon, even though Pigeon is also employed by the Rochester-based firm of Underberg and Kessler, which works closely with Golisano and the Sabres. In addition, Pigeon devoted several weeks this year to various presidential campaigns, first with Rep. Richard A. Gephardt in Iowa and then with Al Sharpton in South Carolina.

Brown said that Pigeon's $76,000 salary was less than he received under Connor and that his pay was recently reduced to approximately $59,000 because of Pigeon's increased activities outside the Senate.

"When he mentioned he would be spending more time on the presidential issues, we talked about the possibility of taking on another staffer," Brown said, adding Pigeon voluntarily accepted the cut in pay.

Brown said Pigeon must account for his time like any other employee of the Legislature, and while complaining that his staff was singled out for scrutiny, offered to make available Pigeon's time sheets.

Brown added he is satisfied that Pigeon is able to justify his Senate salary and work simultaneously in the private sector, while also participating in two presidential campaigns on vacation time.

"If you look at the State Legislature, there are a lot of counsels for members that juggle other things," Brown said. "As long as he is responsive to the things I need of him, we don't have a problem.

"Do I feel like I'm getting my money's worth from people I've employed?" he added. "Absolutely."

Swarts, however, says the sanctuary Brown has provided for Pigeon serves as a launching point for Pigeon's return to political power if his boss wins the mayor's office next year.

"His goal, I assume, is to re-establish himself as a very public power in Erie County and state politics," he said.

Pigeon declined to comment.

What Lenihan says

Erie County Democratic Chairman Leonard R. Lenihan, who maintains tenuous relations with Brown, said the senator has the right to hire anyone he chooses.

"You could say it could help him or hurt him," he said. "The voters will ultimately decide."

But what irks Lenihan and many other Democrats is Pigeon's new chumminess with Republican County Executive Joel A. Giambra, another key political power who expects to have a significant say in next year's mayoral race.

Lenihan claims Pigeon lent substantial behind-the-scenes support for Giambra's re-election last year, adding that he told Brown he viewed that effort as a "problem."

"There is no doubt Steve spent part of the fall in the Rath Building working for Giambra," Lenihan said. "We don't look kindly on that, but that's his call."

Brown said he was not aware of any Pigeon involvement in Giambra's re-election effort last year.

"I would challenge anyone to show me where Steve Pigeon contributed to the Republican county executive. Nor was he on any committees for the Republican county executive, nor did he attend any campaign meetings," Brown said. "Joel Giambra talks to a lot of Democrats, and a lot of Democrats - including elected Democrats - endorsed him last year."

The senator also emphasized that his main concern is to perform as well as possible for his constituents.

"My principal goal is to do the best job I can as a state senator," he said. "If I do that, the rest of this will take care of itself."

from the Buffalo News

It looks like a hatchet job by the News. Byron definitley deserves it, though. Sam Hoyt displayes the professionalism that our community needs, not just back room cronyism that Byron seems to be displaying. Whether you agree with his ideas or not, you have to applaud Hoyt. Byron is representativeof all the bad leadership this city has endured.

I have to disagree. Byron Brown has the backing of Tom Galisano. Hated by the Buffalo Niagara Partnership, thier propagand rag (AKA Buffalo News) and all the republicans and republicrats like Masiello, Galisano is the one who is getting the bad rap.
    Pigeon and Galisano are with Brown, therefore that makes Brown the target.
    Hoyt comes from a political family, as does Brian Higgins. A few years ago
    he and Brian Higgins felt there needed to be a change in Albany leadership and backed the guy who was trying to unseat Silver as majority leader.
    When Hoyt saw that Silver wasn't going to lose he jumped ship on the other guy at the last minute and went with Silver. Higgins kept his word and stayed with the guy he was with from the beginning, even though it became obvious he backed a loser. To me that showed character.
    Hoyt showed a lack of it. He also showed that his major concern was his own political ass. I can't get excited about a candidate like that.
    Brown is not from this region origionally. In this case I think that is an asset. No old boy connections. That is probably why the Snooze and partnership don't want him. They fear an end to thier gravy train of influence. All the more reason to support Byron Brown.
    Andy Rudnick and the Buffalo Club crowd fear a Black Mayor
    The racism that is so covert yet built in to every day life in this area might end. People might come togather and present some "progressive ideas". Then they would not control our politicians and call the shots. They would not be able to use thier rag to direct mob sentiment. Divide and conquer might not work for them anymore.
    Brown might be able to bring some new ideas, some life back to Buffalo. Shooting down Giambras bid to control everything at county hall. He would not be "Capo di tutti Capi".
    Want some proof.
    Hamister was going to buy the Sabers. The partnership, Local politicians, and the News convinced the NHL he was the guy, even though they knew he wanted the goverment to subsidize the purchase and Galisano said he would not need public money.. Rudnick annonced "Business Backs the Sabers to sell tickets and market the team in the community.
    When public outrage made it obvious politicians couldn't underwrite his purchase with taxpayer money. the NHL dropped Hamister.
    Galisano got the team and guess what?
    Business stopped backing the Sabers. Suprize Surprize !!!
    Brown, Galisano and Pigieons worst crime is they don't play the game. That makes them targets in this town.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

To claim that Byron isn't playing the game is crazytalk. He is obviously playing the game. Steve Pigeon not play the game? Come on! Please.

People might come togather and present some "progressive ideas".

...such as new wealth-redistribution schemes, regulation, job protectionism, and maintaining the hundreds of little political feifdoms that define WNY. That's exactly what we need - more "progressive ideas".....
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

To both you guy's remarks.
    How do you interpret playing the game.
    Of course he is political. He would not be where he is if he wasn't. But he is not in the pocket of the local old boy political and Business group that has run this area into the ground with thier greed.
    As far as Steve Pigeon, his worst crime was he took the Democratic party out of the hands of people like Dave Swartz who were used to running things thier way and had a lock on all patronage all those years. A political elite so to speak.
    They couldn't wait to get rid of him and put the power back where they felt it belonged.
    What has Lenihan done?
    Did he show any backbone and denounce Masiello for not coming out for Ward? Did he get County hall back? No guts.
    Crum is still reciting his same mantra of redistrubution of wealth, job protectionism, Blah Blah Blah....
    Any body who remotley appears to have a thought he dosen't agree with has an anti taxpayer anti curum agenda.
    My way or the highway.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    When Hoyt saw that Silver wasn't going to lose he jumped ship on the other guy at the last minute and went with Silver. Higgins kept his word and stayed with the guy he was with from the beginning, even though it became obvious he backed a loser. To me that showed character.
    WHich politicians show character now a days?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by citymouse

Galisano got the team and guess what?
    Business stopped backing the Sabers. Suprize Surprize !!!
    Brown, Galisano and Pigieons worst crime is they don't play the game. That makes them targets in this town.

He's completely right...

Lenihan got the County Legislature back in a Dem majority. He got Dan Ward, a complete no body, within 10 points of Giambra. Giambra, this time last year, was thought of as untouchable.

Hoyt jumped ship when Silver was going in a way in which he didn't want the Assembly in a way he didn't want to see it go. He jumped back on board only when Silver changed and it looked inevitable that Silver was going to win. But it wasn't just because Silver was going to win, it was because Silver was going to change his leadership style.

What makes Brown, Pigeon, Galisano targets in town is not just because they don't play the same game as everybody else, but they play a completely different, more curropt game.

Crum is still reciting his same mantra of redistrubution of wealth, job protectionism, Blah Blah Blah....

Well, I guess living in the highest-taxed region that is hemmoraging young people and businessess really doesn't concern you.

At what point will it? I know exactly when that is: When YOU lose YOUR job. Then, the Blah Blan Blah will turn into Help Help Help!!!

If you continue to leave your head buried in the sand, you just might drown in it....

First I think Higgins displays a lot of character, as does Schroder, Griffin is a character. Nancy Naples surprized me and does a great job.
    Even though Quinn has been in office a long time I still have some doubts.
    The rest, from Bush on down ought to be in Attica.
    I don't think Brown is corrupt just because he associates with the despised Pigeon. He showed a lot of class on the common council and seems to have leadership qualities and a mind of his own.
    As far as having my head in the sand it is a better place to have it than where some peoples heads are. But I don't want to be censored.
    I know our taxes are high. Cuts in Federal money to New York State, unfunded state mandates, Cuts in state aid to schools and an overdeveloped, aging infastructure have a lot to do with that.
    I know young people are leaving. Hell, old people are going too!
    The combinations of reasons for our demise begins and ends with the people we elect.
    Adress that and you will begin a turn around.

I have no doubt that Brown has the best intentions. The problem is he is making a deal with a devil in order to get there.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why doesn't he make a deal with us? What are his points of view? Does he acutally write things down or are his plans like all the rest of the politicians, all hot air?

I know our taxes are high...
    You're finally seeing the light.

...Cuts in Federal money to New York State...
    Where does this "federal money" come from? Why do think people in Idaho have to pay our bills?

...unfunded state mandates...
    Yes, like the Taylor Law and public employeee union regulations? Yep, those unfunded mandates sure are to blame!

...Cuts in state aid to schools...
    Again, why should people in Salamanca pay for your bloated and inefficient school district?

...and an overdeveloped, aging infastructure
    This city was built for 600,000 people. That's why we have an "overdeveloped infrastructure". It's great for the commuter but lousy for the taxpayer. That's what happens when policies drive half of the population out of the city in 30 years time....

I know young people are leaving....
    ...but do you ever ask them wny?

excuses and passing the buck for sure, Citymouse...

Originally posted by Curmudgeon
    [...Cuts in Federal money to New York State...
    Where does this "federal money" come from? Why do think people in Idaho have to pay our bills?

For the same reason I would have to pay to put out forest fires in Idaho or that the same percentage per resident of federal money goes to Idaho.

...unfunded state mandates...
    Yes, like the Taylor Law and public employeee union regulations? Yep, those unfunded mandates sure are to blame!

The Taylor law does not come under the heading of unfunded state mandates. For the uneducated a state mandate is something the state imposses on it's local goverments and expects them to pay for, like recycling or educational standards.
    The Taylor law was, on the other hand legislation passed to protect citizens from public employee strikes. It also, in return offers some protection for the employees for forcing them to relinquish the right to strike.

...Cuts in state aid to schools...
    Again, why should people in Salamanca pay for your bloated and inefficient school district?
    No one is arguing the point. I was merley citing reasons why the fiscal crisis is upon us. If you agree with the funding or not is not the issue. The money was there, now it is not. , thus adding to the fiscal problem.
    ...and an overdeveloped, aging infastructure
    This city was built for 600,000 people. That's why we have an "overdeveloped infrastructure". It's great for the commuter but lousy for the taxpayer. That's what happens when policies drive half of the population out of the city in 30 years time....
    Now you are beginning to see the light. Yes the infastructure is there and the people aren't. Instead of pysically down sizing our water plant the number of miles of streets that need to be plowed or parks to be maintained, Black top to be patched or street lights and stop lights, we still have the same amount as when there were 600,000 people.
    This means the same amount of people and equipment to maintain them. The physical modifications and moderations were never made to the infastructure.

I know young people are leaving....
    ...but do you ever ask them wny?
    Yes, jobs and climate, or so the ones I know have told me. Many of my relatives former young co-workers ( many students were employed as temporaries at the city over the years, and my own children and there friends.

excuses and passing the buck for sure, Citymouse... [/B]
    Sorry but that is not true. No buck passing here, just the facts.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information