Thread: Democrats Stronghold

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Democrats Stronghold

With the Democratic registered voters of Lackawanna numbering an 8:1 margin over the Republicans will there ever again be an elected Republican to city government. (who actually runs as a Republican)??? Both the city council and mayor's office have Democratic controls. I think its about time for a new young voice in the city instead of the same Democrats that cycle through. A fresh new voice and mind of ideas is what we need.

And where is the Lackawanna Republican Party???? Sitting back watching all this goes on????. . . no wonders Democrats have such a huge control; the opposing party is asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gork315
    With the Democratic registered voters of Lackawanna numbering an 8:1 margin over the Republicans will there ever again be an elected Republican to city government. (who actually runs as a Republican)??? Both the city council and mayor's office have Democratic controls. I think its about time for a new young voice in the city instead of the same Democrats that cycle through. A fresh new voice and mind of ideas is what we need.

And where is the Lackawanna Republican Party???? Sitting back watching all this goes on????. . . no wonders Democrats have such a huge control; the opposing party is asleep.

Not sure what type of Republican party Lackawanna has but according to city-data.com Lackawanna only has 19,064 residents. If 80% are over 18 and 1 out of 8 are Republicans, you only have 1900 Republicans. From what I read 70% of voters turn out. That is only 1334 votes. Not sure how much of a party you can get with 1300 Red votes in comparison to 9300 Blue votes.

One thing to remember about Lackawanna. It is a steel city, built around a steel plant, with steel plant workers - blue collar folks, union folks, etc. Blue Collar Union people are almost always democrats. Even though the plants have pretty much all closed, those values and people still exist there - so I dont' think you'll see much republican presence for a long time.

If you go to small towns in the south, they are 90% republican. Farmers, etc. all support the party tremendously.

A lot of times, party majority exists because of a factor just like the steel plants, or farms, etc.

Just making an observation for you.
    "I know the man. he is not using a theasuarus."

Lackawanna has been a one party town for a long time. There are some vicious infighting going on at times within the Democratic Party. Once in a while we get a mayor that has the taxpayers interest in his heart. Most of the time we just get a party puppet.

Newspaper columnist Walter Winchell used to say something like "I would rather be the Mayor of Lackawanna than the President of the United States"
    and that wasn't a positive statement either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna
    Lackawanna has been a one party town for a long time. There are some vicious infighting going on at times within the Democratic Party. Once in a while we get a mayor that has the taxpayers interest in his heart. Most of the time we just get a party puppet.

Newspaper columnist Walter Winchell used to say something like "I would rather be the Mayor of Lackawanna than the President of the United States"
    and that wasn't a positive statement either.

Google
    Web Images Video News Maps more »Close menu Blogs

Your search - ":I'd rather be mayor of lackawanna than president of the united states"" - did not match any documents.

Your search - "I'd rather be mayor of lackawanna" - did not match any documents.

Quote Originally Posted by mikewrona
    Google
    Web Images Video News Maps more »Close menu Blogs

Your search - ":I'd rather be mayor of Lackawanna than president of the united states"" - did not match any documents.
    Are you old enough to remember when Walter Winchall had a daily column in the Courier Express. It was so long ago I don't think anyone would bother to store his writings in a data bank. Maybe some of our older members of this site will remember this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by ReformWNY
    One thing to remember about Lackawanna. It is a steel city, built around a steel plant, with steel plant workers - blue collar folks, union folks, etc. Blue Collar Union people are almost always democrats. Even though the plants have pretty much all closed, those values and people still exist there - so I dont' think you'll see much republican presence for a long time.

If you go to small towns in the south, they are 90% republican. Farmers, etc. all support the party tremendously.

A lot of times, party majority exists because of a factor just like the steel plants, or farms, etc.

Just making an observation for you.
    I dont support any party. They are all Idiots.I vote for the less handicapped.
    The one who drools the less gets my vote.And if you know what a short bus is then you are qualified. Westen NY got to love it. Free cheese as far as you can see.

I voted for Collins because I am one of the five Republicans in Lackawanna ("in" being technically since I am away at college) and because I supported his platform. It had nothing to do with Spitzer.

Unregistered

with that many dems in Lackawanna & Buffalo they should merge

with that many dems in Lackawanna & Buffalo they should merge

Thread Information