Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Democrats Stronghold

Democrats Stronghold

With the Democratic registered voters of Lackawanna numbering an 8:1 margin over the Republicans will there ever again be an elected Republican to city government. (who actually runs as a Republican)??? Both the city council and mayor's office have Democratic controls. I think its about time for a new young voice in the city instead of the same Democrats that cycle through. A fresh new voice and mind of ideas is what we need.

And where is the Lackawanna Republican Party???? Sitting back watching all this goes on????. . . no wonders Democrats have such a huge control; the opposing party is asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gork315
    With the Democratic registered voters of Lackawanna numbering an 8:1 margin over the Republicans will there ever again be an elected Republican to city government. (who actually runs as a Republican)??? Both the city council and mayor's office have Democratic controls. I think its about time for a new young voice in the city instead of the same Democrats that cycle through. A fresh new voice and mind of ideas is what we need.

And where is the Lackawanna Republican Party???? Sitting back watching all this goes on????. . . no wonders Democrats have such a huge control; the opposing party is asleep.

Not sure what type of Republican party Lackawanna has but according to city-data.com Lackawanna only has 19,064 residents. If 80% are over 18 and 1 out of 8 are Republicans, you only have 1900 Republicans. From what I read 70% of voters turn out. That is only 1334 votes. Not sure how much of a party you can get with 1300 Red votes in comparison to 9300 Blue votes.

One thing to remember about Lackawanna. It is a steel city, built around a steel plant, with steel plant workers - blue collar folks, union folks, etc. Blue Collar Union people are almost always democrats. Even though the plants have pretty much all closed, those values and people still exist there - so I dont' think you'll see much republican presence for a long time.

If you go to small towns in the south, they are 90% republican. Farmers, etc. all support the party tremendously.

A lot of times, party majority exists because of a factor just like the steel plants, or farms, etc.

Just making an observation for you.
    "I know the man. he is not using a theasuarus."

Lackawanna has been a one party town for a long time. There are some vicious infighting going on at times within the Democratic Party. Once in a while we get a mayor that has the taxpayers interest in his heart. Most of the time we just get a party puppet.

Newspaper columnist Walter Winchell used to say something like "I would rather be the Mayor of Lackawanna than the President of the United States"
    and that wasn't a positive statement either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna
    Lackawanna has been a one party town for a long time. There are some vicious infighting going on at times within the Democratic Party. Once in a while we get a mayor that has the taxpayers interest in his heart. Most of the time we just get a party puppet.

Newspaper columnist Walter Winchell used to say something like "I would rather be the Mayor of Lackawanna than the President of the United States"
    and that wasn't a positive statement either.

Google
    Web Images Video News Maps more »Close menu Blogs

Your search - ":I'd rather be mayor of lackawanna than president of the united states"" - did not match any documents.

Your search - "I'd rather be mayor of lackawanna" - did not match any documents.

Quote Originally Posted by mikewrona
    Google
    Web Images Video News Maps more »Close menu Blogs

Your search - ":I'd rather be mayor of Lackawanna than president of the united states"" - did not match any documents.
    Are you old enough to remember when Walter Winchall had a daily column in the Courier Express. It was so long ago I don't think anyone would bother to store his writings in a data bank. Maybe some of our older members of this site will remember this statement.

Hey, its not completely democrat. I am here, well part of the year, and I am proud to be a Republican.

PS - its my first post.

Why would Lackawanna want to change after all the prosperity that the Democratic party has brought to the city?? I mean there is the.............or the .....................and then there is the ......................

See, they have a lot going for them!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    Why would Lackawanna want to change after all the prosperity that the Democratic party has brought to the city?? I mean there is the.............or the .....................and then there is the ......................

Hey they do have windmills......

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    Hey they do have windmills......
    Lackawanna got the windmills because the windmills came to Lackawanna, not the other way around.

welcome to the board AWNYCollegeStudent!

Is everyone convinced that the Windmills are a good thing?? I know the green thing is the wave, but there aren't any jobs involved and the Dollars they are paying don't seem that impressive ($100K - $12K per tower).

Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

you are so right about the Windmills.

Bill Eagan is walking around patting himself on the back for it.

The windmills are there because they wanted to be there not because of corrupt Bill Eagan(little Hitler).

DOWN WITH EAGAN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BostonPolitics
    you are so right about the Windmills.

Bill Eagan is walking around patting himself on the back for it.

The windmills are there because they wanted to be there not because of corrupt Bill Eagan(little Hitler).

DOWN WITH EAGAN!!!
    Hey, we get it, you don't like Eagan.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson

People argue things changed which hindered our area for the last 20 years. That is true. Issue is the people who the democratic party endorsed over the years weren't pro-active to stay a step ahead of what was happening. They were more worried about party survival not community survival. Remember who gave the endorcement to the democratic people we have had running the show for the last 20 years....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookinforanswers
    Is everyone convinced that the Windmills are a good thing?? I know the green thing is the wave, but there aren't any jobs involved and the Dollars they are paying don't seem that impressive ($100K - $12K per tower).

Just wondering what everyone else thinks.
    What was that spot of land producing as revenue before the windmills were there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information