Thread: Seeking a final resting place for unclaimed veterans

Seeking a final resting place for unclaimed veterans

A can containing the cremated remains of a World War I veteran sat for years unclaimed in the basement of a Lovejoy funeral home.
    When the new occupants took over the building, they gave the forgotten ashes to Amigone Funeral Homes.

Whatever became of those ashes remains unknown because of New York State confidentiality laws. But what is known is that hundreds of urns containing the unclaimed ashes of area veterans are collecting dust in the basements of local funeral homes and crematoriums.

"We have rough estimates numbering anywhere from 300 to 1,000 unclaimed urns, tin cans and cigar boxes containing the cremated remains of local veterans," said Earle N. Rosenthal, past commander of F.J. Donovan Post 1626, American Legion, in Cheektowaga.

That may soon change if a coalition of veterans advocates gets the state to modify laws to ensure that veterans who die without anyone to take charge of their final affairs are buried with full military honors.

A bill pending in the State Legislature would require funeral home directors to determine if the unclaimed ashes of individuals placed in their care are those of veterans. If so, steps would be taken to arrange for interment in veterans cemetery.

This is all part of a national effort called the "Missing In America Project," which is gaining momentum. It started several years ago when the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery interred the ashes of 21 forgotten veterans.
    "For everything they have done on behalf of their country, they definitely don't deserve to be left in a basement," said Assemblyman Dennis H. Gabryszak, D-Cheektowaga. "This bill would allow for the proper respect of veterans' remains that are not claimed for whatever reason."

Because of the current state health laws, it is not possible to get an exact number of veterans whose ashes are languishing in funeral homes, according to Rosenthal, a Korean War veteran.

Some veterans, he explained, have died under trying circumstances.

"They died either estranged from their families or with no living dependents. They died, and nobody claimed their body, and after so much time their remains are sent to a funeral director for cremation," he said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/2...ing-place.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Thank you for posting this. I'd like to say more, but I'm a little to choked up.

Need to be given proper burials with military honors

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    hundreds of urns containing the unclaimed ashes of area veterans are collecting dust in the basements of local funeral homes and crematoriums.

"We have rough estimates numbering anywhere from 300 to 1,000 unclaimed urns, tin cans and cigar boxes containing the cremated remains of local veterans," said Earle N. Rosenthal, past commander of F.J. Donovan Post 1626, American Legion, in Cheektowaga.
    So shocking
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

!

How appalling and we call this America ... Shame on this State !
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Donating plots

How many people have extra plots? I have a few from where my Grandparents are in Acacia Park.

I would be honored to donate these plots. Maybe even more than one could be burried in each one since they are creamated. Stones should still be free other than engraving, which I would think we could have a fundraiser for and find the funds for the engraving.

Not sure on the engraving now....My Father served in the Korean war, but this was a few years ago since he passed, and I don't remember if we paid for the Millitary engraving, or the other stone.

Thread Information