Thread: Why does Hamburg need a Supervisor?

Why does Hamburg need a Supervisor?

Just read about Jim Spute retiring fromthe town. The board has eliminated his position and created a comptroller's position. The position that was held by Spute was one of three positions that were left for the Supervisor to appoint (the other two: deputy super and town historian). Now we know that the board eliminated the deputy position and now with the creation of the new comptroller's spot, they will have control of the appointment. Seems that the board does not feel the supervisor should be in charge of these decisions and are undermining the office of the supervisor. Didn't the people elect Walters to be our supervisor to make these decisions and to start change in the town. The board is not happy with him and is handcuffing his powers and they are deciding that only they can run the town. Looks like we have got what we have asked for by keeping these people in office. We have 9 months left. Let's take our government back!

Thumbs up To My2cents

You have got it so right! couldn't have said it better. Steve Walters is trying very hard to work for ALL Hamburg residents. I think this Board remains in disbelief that they can no longer run this Town. In my opinion, their actions are dispicable, unprofessional, and will not be tolerated too much longer. People are noticing how they do everything and anything legal or not to block Our Supervisor from performing his duties. As one letter to the editor in the Hamburg Sun wrote :she found the behavior of the Board Members toward Steve Walters disgraceful and encouraged residents to attend the meetings to see for themselves. I wish we didn't have to wait to elect a new Board. I wish they would all resign and/or retire. People are watching. I hope Steve Walters can hang in there. It must be difficult to work under these conditions. I have to add that for the first time in my life, I am ashamed to be a registered Democrat.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by My2cents
    Just read about Jim Spute retiring fromthe town. The board has eliminated his position and created a comptroller's position. The position that was held by Spute was one of three positions that were left for the Supervisor to appoint (the other two: deputy super and town historian). Now we know that the board eliminated the deputy position and now with the creation of the new comptroller's spot, they will have control of the appointment. Seems that the board does not feel the supervisor should be in charge of these decisions and are undermining the office of the supervisor. Didn't the people elect Walters to be our supervisor to make these decisions and to start change in the town. The board is not happy with him and is handcuffing his powers and they are deciding that only they can run the town. Looks like we have got what we have asked for by keeping these people in office. We have 9 months left. Let's take our government back!
    I'm still confused to why that have a supervisior position when really decisions are by vote anyway.

How can anyone get anything reformed or completed if it's always a vote to pass or deny what your trying to do.

Like for contracts.. Lets say they are every 4 years.. You get elected for supervisor and you are goin to cut costs. You decid for the best for the community you need to lower salaries and put caps on bene's on the next contract. It just has to be done no belly aching. The board can be town employee controlled and your stuck. End of contract or not.

Seems like it's completely stacked against the non government people in the community.

The supervisor is the CFO of the town and handles all day to day operations. There are decisions that fall strictly to the supervisor. Unfortunately the town board feels that the current supervisor should not be allowed to make these decision. Therefore they have made some changes (without regard for legallity) to limit the supervisors position. This is how the people are getting shafted. They elected Walters to make a change and the board is trying to prove they run the town and are resisting any type of change. Oh November, you can't come soon enough.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by My2cents
    The supervisor is the CFO of the town and handles all day to day operations. There are decisions that fall strictly to the supervisor. Unfortunately the town board feels that the current supervisor should not be allowed to make these decision. Therefore they have made some changes (without regard for legallity) to limit the supervisors position. This is how the people are getting shafted. They elected Walters to make a change and the board is trying to prove they run the town and are resisting any type of change. Oh November, you can't come soon enough.
    Fill me in.

What type of limits did they vote to have imposed? What have you heard that's factual?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Fill me in.

What type of limits did they vote to have imposed? What have you heard that's factual?

Res,

Is that the sound of crickets chirping that I hear in this thread...three days and no response...their silence speaks volumes.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well now i'm wondering what are they doing. I wanna see how these "long time political party" people operate

Quote Originally Posted by bwilson
    Res,

Is that the sound of crickets chirping that I hear in this thread...three days and no response...their silence speaks volumes.
    Those crickets will sound like hoof beats come November. The people of this town were sick of the domination and arrogance of the dems in power. They threw their energy into a cadidate for supervisor as this is the top position in the town. They elected Walters to start a change. It was too bad for the remaining 4 that they lost their dem head. Oh well, they would just have to deal with it. Walters knew that he was outnumber on votes, so he needed to be informed and patient. Instead the board decided to start stripping the office of supervisor of its powers. First they took away the position of dep supervisor away (Can't have anyone not elected serve as dep super. too many legal issues). Total B.S. Then they removed Walters as liaison to the police dep at the request of the chief (who by the way was the main target along with Joan Kesner's hubby for their exorbitant salaries during Walters campaign) The reason was because Walters was asking too many questions about the department. Then, they eliminated the position once held by Spute and implemented the position of comptroller. This new position will be under board control. The supervisor had, by law, three appointments that were his alone: Historian, budget director and dep supervisor. He now has one (for now, unless the board feels he is threatening the history of the town then they will pull that one also). This is all an attempt by the board to regain and retain their dominance. It is a huge slap in the face to the voters in this town who voted for change. The town board is basically telling the voters only we know what is best for you. Last thing; when the board appoints a replacement for either Hochul or Quatroche, the appointee will be a dem and will have a vote on the board although they were not elected to do so by the people. The dep super had no vote in any situation. No politics at play here!
    Last edited by My2cents; February 1st, 2007 at 11:28 PM.

Unregistered
    The final analysis of the top two officers in the PD is finished. I need to find out how to post the file without the site changing the format so I can post it. There are a couple of fishy things there. But most glaring is the amount of time they sold back just before Walters took office. I guess they figured he might complain a little about questionable practices.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    (who by the way was the main target along with Joan Kesner's hubby for their exorbitant salaries during Walters campaign)
    What type of salaries are they talking?

Total compenstion 2005:
    Chief Coggins~ $155,000
    Asst. Chief Kesner ~$135,000
    Slated to be much higher for 2006. Consider that both make more than Bflo Commish, Sheriff Higgins and Chief of City of Niagara Falls.

Thread Information