Thread: Renaldo's Dead. What's His Legacy.

Renaldo's Dead. What's His Legacy.

The words posted below are from the Buffalo Law Journal. Naturally, they would be highly likely to paint a lawer in a positive light.

Did Tony Renaldo really make Amherst a better place overall?

Also, did Sharpe and Renaldo act in a fair and responsible manner with respect to development?

And how much of a hand did he have in promoting developments that are now categorized as "sinking".

"‘Developer’s lawyer’ left indelible mark

For years, Tony Renaldo and Jack Sharpe governed the Town of Amherst like protective fathers.

Sharpe, the town’s long-time supervisor, represented the public sector, while Renaldo, an attorney whose client list read like a development Who’s Who, was the voice of the private sector.

Together, they shepherded Amherst through a period of unprecedented growth, making it possible for companies to invest in the local region. The work they did laid the foundation for future investments from the likes of Geico and Bank of America, to name a few.

Now they are both gone. Sharpe died Dec. 3 and Renaldo, a partner in the firm of Renaldo & Palumbo, passed away Jan. 29.

Sharpe was elected to lead the town. That role became his drive and his passion, but it was also his job.

Renaldo chose to chart the town’s development path. Yes, he was doing so for the benefit of his clients, but Tony Renaldo was an Amherst resident — first and foremost. He wanted a better Amherst and, by extension, a better Buffalo Niagara region.

For decades, beginning in the mid-1970s, Renaldo was a common figure at many Town of Amherst meetings. Some dubbed him the "eighth town board member." It fit.

"Tony was the genuine article," said James Allen, Amherst Industrial Development Agency executive director. "Probably the only ones who truly appreciated what he did were those in the development or legal industry."

Because of his client list and expertise, Renaldo wrote the book on how municipalities should handle development — an issue that’s as steeped in emotions as legalities.

Renaldo’s input played a critical role in the development master plan that guided Amherst officials from the 1970s through the 1990s.

While many painted Renaldo as a developer’s lawyer, the truth is, many issues he championed are commonly found in smart-growth initiatives. Renaldo’s insight led to the development of the Audubon and Ransom Oaks communities in Amherst — new communities that married commercial interests with residential plans.

Renaldo was a good teacher, too.

Lawyers like Jeff Palumbo and Sean Hopkins were mentored by Renaldo and are carrying his torch forward. Retired State Supreme Court Justice Hon. John Lane was another close friend and ally.

"Tony really knew how to connect the dots between real estate, development and economic development," said James Dentinger, McGuire Development president and past president of the Amherst Chamber of Commerce.

When Renaldo presented a development proposal to the Amherst Planning Board or Amherst Town Board, it came with all the T’s crossed and I’s dotted. He was thorough. He was practical.

You always knew when Renaldo entered the room. He didn’t have a booming tenor like Sharpe, but he commanded a presence and a respect.

"Tony knew how to liven up the room," Dentinger said. "It just lit up when he walked in. You know, what I’ll miss the most is his smile and the way he said ‘Hello.’ "

Given the current anti-development mindset of the Amherst Town Board, it’s not likely they would ever consider doing anything to honor Renaldo’s memory.

The fact is, many of them live in houses and neighborhoods that one of Renaldo’s clients helped to develop. Many work — or worked — in buildings or office parks his clients developed.

The buildings that are coming off payment-in-lieu-of-taxes programs and are paying full taxes are ones that Renaldo steered through development process.

"The death of Tony and Jack is really signifying the end of an era," Allen said. "It was probably more appropriate than sad that they both died so close together. Both of them were guys that really got things going."
    "

Did Tony Renaldo "contribute" anything to Amherst without expecting something in return? In other words, was the "indelible mark" that he left on Amherst rooted in a selfish agenda? Did he do ANYTHING for Amherst so purely help the residents?

Renadlo is painted as somewhat of a wondeful man that did wonderful things for Amherst. I can't think of anything that he did selflessly. (As a related comment, I see Shawn Hipkins travveling the very same road. unfortunately for Hopkins, he's decades late. Times have changed.)

Renaldo is touted as leaving an indelible mark on Amherst, yet nobody here has ANY commwnt about him.

I think this lends creedence to Dan Ward's assertions that Renaldo "owned" virtually everyone in Amherst politrics. It appears that Amherst ewmployees and p[olitical gadflys are AFRAID to say anything about Renaldo even now that he's dead. One can onluy imagine how dictator-like he must have been while breathing.

Renaldo never freightened me. I'll comment.

He croaked. Good riddens. He was a bully. Won't be missed in this household.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    Renaldo never freightened me. I'll comment.

He croaked. Good riddens. He was a bully. Won't be missed in this household.
    That is encouraging. I'm glad to see that not everyone held Anthony Renaldo in high regard. I don't think he deserved to be admired because he seemed to be out for himself and what he could extract for others. Con artists do the same kinds of things.

Thread Information