Thread: Does Carl know that Howard Beale was an insane buffoon

Does Carl know that Howard Beale was an insane buffoon

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore"

The well worn line by the fictional character Howard Beale is being worn as a badge of honor by Carl and his supporters.

But do they realize Howard Beale was an insane buffoon who was manipulated and used by the network power brokers, then disposed of when it was advantages for them to do so?

One of the underlying themes of "Network" was the lack of effective psychiatric counseling for those suffering from mental illness, and the ease with which those suffering from mental illness can be manipulated by others. Howard Beale was the poster boy for that agenda.

So before you open the window and regurgitate Howard Beale's chorus, think about what it represents.

Carl's signs are really odd looking. They are almost all red and sort of hard to read. They say mad as hell on them and I just don't think it's very appealing to the masses.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It's a phrase... don't over analyze it

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    It's a phrase... don't over analyze it
    Unfortunately, it is not just a phrase - it is a symbolic quotation. Only Carl apparently doesn't know its symbolic roots.

Do you see my current avatar? That is the face of insanity as expressed by the character Howard Beale. That is what that phrase represents.

It was chosen by the author for that symbolism. It could have been "I'm angry as hell..." but instead the author chose "mad" because of its connotation as in "mad man" "mad scientist" "mad magazine" and the like.

Moreover in Carl's first year in law school he took a course entitled legal writing, and on the first day of that class he learned the importance of choosing the right word to express a thought. In fact, the instructor of that course probably used "mad" versus "angry" to illustrate the point. "Don't tell they jury your client was "mad" unless you are asserting an insanity defense."

So he should know better. Unless he is hoping his followers don't.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Unfortunately, it is not just a phrase - it is a symbolic quotation. Only Carl apparently doesn't know its symbolic roots.

Most voters won't over analyze like you did. I didn't.

Do you see my current avatar? That is the face of insanity as expressed by the character Howard Beale. That is what that phrase represents.

I see that same look on people when they are talking about their property taxes, income taxes and fees we pay in NYS for our services. Your still over analyzing it.

It was chosen by the author for that symbolism. It could have been "I'm angry as hell..." but instead the author chose "mad" because of its connotation as in "mad man" "mad scientist" "mad magazine" and the like.

Moreover in Carl's first year in law school he took a course entitled legal writing, and on the first day of that class he learned the importance of choosing the right word to express a thought. In fact, the instructor of that course probably used "mad" versus "angry" to illustrate the point. "Don't tell they jury your client was "mad" unless you are asserting an insanity defense."

Appeal to the lowest common denominator because you want the most votes. Most will not over analyze it like you are doing.

So he should know better. Unless he is hoping his followers don't.
    Ok .

It's good people are "Mad as hell" until they stop offering solutions, and just foam at the mouth.

I'm not hearing very many solutions coming from the "Mad as hell crowd" except for "Abolish taxes!" while they ignore the fact that their taxes were already cut in most circumstances.

If you're interested in solutions, the Mad As Hell Carl, Tea Party, and Co. isn't the answer. Check out the Coffee Party. Those people are mad as hell too, but they are offering solutions.

I really think that is one thing the US (Or a state government) should use as an experiment: Shadow Governments. Opposition party's job is to come up with counter-proposals to every proposed legislation/act/etc the party in power does. So, everyone can see exactly who proposes what.
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Thread Information