Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When is the Police Contract up?

When is the Police Contract up?

$7 million/year plus the legacy cost for West Seneca to have their own police force or under a million for Erie County Sheriffs to provide the same service. When is the police contract up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Consolidation View Post
    Now is the time for the town to look at contracting with the Erie County Sheriff's Office for dedicated patrol. The deputy would be dedicated to the town and cannot leave. The price would be half the price of the current contract with the village.

Same protection just a star on the side of the patrol car.

I know the village police will say that response times will be the same as Elma. That is a lie, don't believe it! Elma does not have a contract with the Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff's Office does not guarantee a car in the Town of Elma. Also, they will lie and tell you that you won't know your deputies. Deputies work out of the same patrol district day in and day out. The deputies assigned to the Town of Aurora would be the same, all the time. Just ask the residents of the Village of Springville. They know the deputies because the same deputies work all the time in the village.

The Village of Springville pays about $400,000/year for a dedicated car. Not bad, when you compare what the Town of Aurora pays the Village of East Aurora: $ 1.2 million/year.

Wake up Town of Aurora supervisor and talk to the town supervisor of the town of Clay, New York. They abolished their police department, last year, and contracted with the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office for two dedicated patrol cars and reduced property taxes 20%.

Consolidate em all! Make the Sherriff's dept bigger go metro!

The way we do things now is just plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Consolidate em all! Make the Sherriff's dept bigger go metro!

The way we do things now is just plain stupid.
    It's the scare tactics that people use, saying we won't have the same service provided or the same response time. Just typical nonsense those that want to protect their high salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by wnyfuture View Post
    $7 million/year plus the legacy cost for West Seneca to have their own police force or under a million for Erie County Sheriffs to provide the same service. When is the police contract up?
    Why jump into things? You apparently didn't learn your lesson from the downsizing. Where are those great savings?
    You are ready to disband the police force. We will still have the legacy expenses. Will will rent the serives of two sheriff patrol cars for the amount you mention. Where will those under arrest be taken? No police force no need for a jail. No jail no jailer. No need for court in town. No need for judges. Get rid of them too! Stop take a break and think.
    You may feel that it's a great idea. There are those of us that want to stop this lunacy. Maybe Kevin G. should be in charge of downsizing our P.D. for us too. We can't seem to make smart decisions on our own anyway!
    Didn't you Grandma tell you not to throw the baby out with the bath water?

merge the PD!

Great Idea, maybe some real savings.

Say it ain't so.......

Quote Originally Posted by Orchardpark View Post
    Great Idea, maybe some real savings.
    WOW !

Talk about submission

So that's what it sounds like when a dead dog barks.

So Sad..........

Hey OP, Too bad your best posts were vaporized by the Man.

Res, were they really that slanderous ?

Honestly, they were not far off their mark.
    Last edited by Spirit of Ebenezer; April 5th, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
    A remark should only hurt within it's proportion of what is true.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Ebenezer View Post

Res, were they really that slanderous ?

Honestly, they were not far off their mark.
    Don't know. People lie without thinking about the harm it can do. You never know who to believe.

Where did I lie?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Don't know. People lie without thinking about the harm it can do. You never know who to believe.
    WNY,
    I have seen so so many people slandered on this blog. I bring up the new group and a town employee that gets so much special treatment and both are removed.
    Where did I lie?
    LB is now in the town clerks office.
    The garden club is paying $650 for the Burchfield, 10% of the last group.
    PS, the person that started the signs on union was mad when the 5 people drove out of the Houghton's driveway at night.
    I really don’t understand.
    Happy Dyngus Day

Quote Originally Posted by CantKeepaSecret View Post
    Why jump into things? You apparently didn't learn your lesson from the downsizing. Where are those great savings?
    You are ready to disband the police force. We will still have the legacy expenses. Will will rent the serives of two sheriff patrol cars for the amount you mention. Where will those under arrest be taken? No police force no need for a jail. No jail no jailer. No need for court in town. No need for judges. Get rid of them too! Stop take a break and think.
    You may feel that it's a great idea. There are those of us that want to stop this lunacy. Maybe Kevin G. should be in charge of downsizing our P.D. for us too. We can't seem to make smart decisions on our own anyway!
    Didn't you Grandma tell you not to throw the baby out with the bath water?
    Yes, I agree you will legacy cost still but we can stop future legacy cost really easily by getting rid of the WS Police.

When you get pulled over by the State Police in West Seneca for speeding, you still go to West Seneca Traffic Court, the money still goes to West Seneca.

West Seneca is such a dangerous town with so many dangerous criminals (sarcastic). Pretty sure, the DUI arrests end up downtown in the holding center. Where do the arrests made by State Troopers go? Their hub.

We can save millions, we can make West Seneca more affordably. CantKeepaSecret, must have friends and family on the payroll. Dispatchers are extremely overpaid, starting salary at $40k, the lowest paying WS cop made $61k last year.

The Downsizing of Town Council and Outsourcing of the Police are apples and bowling balls. Pretty irrelevant. The outsourcing of the police will save millions of dollars instantly. We're not eliminating positions but outsourcing the force to provide the same coverage.

As a first ring suburb eliminating the PD may not be in the best interest of the town, as a whole. We're seeing increases in crime in these areas, and WS is not imune. The better plan would be through negotiations of the contracts, Police, highway, etc. The legacy costs can be greatly reduced, as long as those negotiating are not more interested in the votes the workers represent.
    Sacrifces will need to be made, but will not occur if those at the top aren't the first to feel the pinch.

So, where do we start? First, salaries need to be frozen for elected, appointed, and non-represented employees. If health ins. is offered, there needs to be a contribution made by these workers. Let's start with 10% of the annual salary of these people. Town Council members should not receive health care, or a "payment in lieu of" stipend. With these in place, it is easier to appoach the subject with the Unions. It will, by no means, be an easy task. Next, would be negotiating savings from those low in seniority, or not yet hired. The process will take time, but is doable.

Eliminating the PD would present other problems as time progressed. We would not necessarily be able to negotiate the rates the town was charged for services from the Sheriff's Office. Beside, they have legacy costs too. We might be buying into a bigger debt than the one we have.

The key will be in November 2011, when we elect a whole new Town Board. Keep electing people with an obvious interest in maintaining the status quo, or find people without these ties, or the guts to just say no. The choice will be the peoples to make. Just don't complain, about that which you permit.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

It's the scare tactics that people use, saying we won't have the same service provided or the same response time. Just typical nonsense those that want to protect their high salaries.

they need only to look outside NY to see that the earth is not flat.

they want you to believe we will fall off the edge of the earth.

I am not buying it for one minute... It is like China trying to shut down people there on the internet.... information is powerful.

Good stuff WNYFUTURE. You couldn't be more right. I've been trying to push for this in Lancaster but they are brainwashed. I used to live in Elma where we used the Sheriffd. Polite, friendly and always willing to help. West Seneca should seriously take a close look at this. As mentioned in someone elses post scare tactics and misinformation tends to steer people away from this idea. Larger departments are cheaper and have much larger resources to pull from. Afraid of coverage, contract for dedicated cars from the Sheriffs. Now no one can say response time is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    As a first ring suburb eliminating the PD may not be in the best interest of the town, as a whole. We're seeing increases in crime in these areas, and WS is not imune. The better plan would be through negotiations of the contracts, Police, highway, etc. The legacy costs can be greatly reduced, as long as those negotiating are not more interested in the votes the workers represent.
    Sacrifces will need to be made, but will not occur if those at the top aren't the first to feel the pinch.

So, where do we start? First, salaries need to be frozen for elected, appointed, and non-represented employees. If health ins. is offered, there needs to be a contribution made by these workers. Let's start with 10% of the annual salary of these people. Town Council members should not receive health care, or a "payment in lieu of" stipend. With these in place, it is easier to appoach the subject with the Unions. It will, by no means, be an easy task. Next, would be negotiating savings from those low in seniority, or not yet hired. The process will take time, but is doable.

Eliminating the PD would present other problems as time progressed. We would not necessarily be able to negotiate the rates the town was charged for services from the Sheriff's Office. Beside, they have legacy costs too. We might be buying into a bigger debt than the one we have.

The key will be in November 2011, when we elect a whole new Town Board. Keep electing people with an obvious interest in maintaining the status quo, or find people without these ties, or the guts to just say no. The choice will be the peoples to make. Just don't complain, about that which you permit.
    So true. Additionally if West Seneca was a city I believe we would be about the 15th largest city in the State. That combined with the fact that we are a first ring suburb of Buffalo I am not so sure that a good comparison can be drawn to smaller towns further from Buffalo and us.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    So true. Additionally if West Seneca was a city I believe we would be about the 15th largest city in the State. That combined with the fact that we are a first ring suburb of Buffalo I am not so sure that a good comparison can be drawn to smaller towns further from Buffalo and us.
    But we're not a city and when the new census comes out, we will be smaller.

Every town should either use State or Erie County Sheriffs. Explain to me, why you wouldn't want to save 5 to 6 million a year? I guess Dtwarren isn't into saving money.

Oh please! He offered a logical assesment and you come up with he doesn't want save money? We are trying to think about what is best for the town. It isn't always the cheapest way. Take a ride down town some evening. Come through So. Buffalo. Tell me we don't need a sufficient police presence. We are neighbors to the third poorest city in the country. There are people who would love to have what you do. Let me get my gun permit before we get rid of our cops.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information