Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Gang Activity in Buffalo?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    I agree with Genoobie insomuchas it's relatively safe to walk around at night. I did it on the east side and I'll do it on the west side.
    You say that the victims are local and know where they are going; that's true, but what you fail to mention is that most of the victims aren't innocent. They don't deserve to die, but most of them are NOT random.
    If a 16 year old lay bleeding to death in the city street, he likely neglected to pay his $15.00 crack bill on time or something to that effect.
    Of the many drive-by shootings, stabbings and many other severe crimes I am sure a fair amount have to do with drugs. But there are many that are part of gang initiations and random attacks. Some people are simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The difference between the city and the suburb is that the suburban kid who owes $15 for his crack, likely has a job at a restaurant or steals from his parents to pay off his debt. That and the threat is to get beaten up, not shot. In the city, the kids dont have jobs and their parents dont have money. And the threat of being shot is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Trolls_r_us
    Genoobie,

I understand what you are saying, but crime is not limited to the nighttime hours. In fact, quite a few violent incidents occured this weekend in the daytime.

I always say "nothing good happens after midnight," which is a good rule of thumb. Still, it is a sad fact that many people cannot enjoy simple things like sitting on thier front porch without being in danger of getting shot. Kids I teach tell me they cannot go out and play near their houses because it is too dangerous.

Many innocent lives have been destroyed by violence in the city.
    I agree with you too. One innocent bystander is too many. However, there are many accidents. Kids drown, hit by cars, etc. All tragic. The random shooting by some degenerate is probably lower on the risk totem pole than other factors. I agree that too many families have to suffer because of a few low-lives. The solution is simple. If you legalize drugs, the money is gone. If the money in the trade is gone, the low-lives will leave for a more profitable area. Fewer guns, fewer deaths by guns. It's win-win!

Lefty, it is true that these centers would provide cradle to grave type treatment. Here's the thing. It's probably cheaper than incarceration. Just build something like a drug hotel (NIMBY!) and provide those people with 3 squares, minimal clothing and all the drugs they can handle. Of course it would have to be a little secured with some correctional type officer, but it could be run cheaper than prison or welfare probably. All drugs would have to be consumed on premises. There's more that needs to be developed / thought out, but in general the idea has merit.

Regards.

Da Later It Gets..da Better Dey Look!

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    I disagree, its been my experience that a lot of women look a lot better after midnight
    AND A 6-PACK

Merits Of Vigilanti-ism

Genoobie,

I understand what you are saying, but crime is not limited to the nighttime hours. In fact, quite a few violent incidents occured this weekend in the daytime.

I always say "nothing good happens after midnight," which is a good rule of thumb. Still, it is a sad fact that many people cannot enjoy simple things like sitting on thier front porch without being in danger of getting shot. Kids I teach tell me they cannot go out and play near their houses because it is too dangerous.

Many innocent lives have been destroyed by violence in the city.
    WHERE IS CHARLES BRONSON WHEN WE NEED HIM??

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    Of the many drive-by shootings, stabbings and many other severe crimes I am sure a fair amount have to do with drugs. But there are many that are part of gang initiations and random attacks. Some people are simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    About fourteen-years-ago, I had a bullet fly right over my head while leaving a Bison's game early. It sounded like a high powered rifle shot and I literally heard the whoosh of the bullet! I figured it was either a gang initiation attempt or the head of stadium concessions. Too bad for you guys that the shooter wasn't an inch more accurate. Thanks to him/her you'll have to deal with me for a LONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by joe d.
    WHERE IS CHARLES BRONSON WHEN WE NEED HIM??
    He's dead..and Deathwish was just a movie...
    I like the concept, though. I could shoot a violent criminal, only it's illegal and it wouldn't be worth the possible jailtime.
    They should promote vigilantism by never investigating the death of thugs.
    Save the resources for the innocent.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA
    About fourteen-years-ago, I had a bullet fly right over my head while leaving a Bison's game early. It sounded like a high powered rifle shot and I literally heard the whoosh of the bullet! I figured it was either a gang initiation attempt or the head of stadium concessions. Too bad for you guys that the shooter wasn't an inch more accurate. Thanks to him/her you'll have to deal with me for a LONG time.
    Dont lie, that wasnt a bullet it was a flower.

Everyone knows there's no such thing as crime in WNY

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA
    I'm not saying there is no crime...but you probably had a better chance of getting killed by a drunk driver or getting into an accident on the way home than you did by that bullet...it's all about risk.

Regards.

Genoobie,

I think you just hit a home run when you said "it's all about risk"

If I am walking through Chestnut Ridge Park, the risk of me getting attacked, robbed, or shot as I walk around are many times less than if I am walking in MLK Park.

So, if I have kids and a family, I take them to someplace where they can play outside or go to the park and just enjoy themselves.

Same goes for where I will eventually choose to live. I want somewhere that is SAFE above all else, especially when I have kids.

Incidently, many of my students are their parents feel the same way, except that they own houses on the East Side that aren't worth anything to sell, so they are essentially stuck with the violence and the declining neighborhoods.

Sure, they could leave a house they own and live in without paying a mortgage, but then they would get nothing for it and have to pay rent/mortgage soemwhere else.

Still, when I talk to many of my kids, the #1 thing they want is to get OUT of the city. I think that speaks volumes.
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Genoobie,

I think you just hit a home run when you said "it's all about risk"

If I am walking through Chestnut Ridge Park, the risk of me getting attacked, robbed, or shot as I walk around are many times less than if I am walking in MLK Park.

So, if I have kids and a family, I take them to someplace where they can play outside or go to the park and just enjoy themselves.

Same goes for where I will eventually choose to live. I want somewhere that is SAFE above all else, especially when I have kids.

Incidently, many of my students are their parents feel the same way, except that they own houses on the East Side that aren't worth anything to sell, so they are essentially stuck with the violence and the declining neighborhoods.

Sure, they could leave a house they own and live in without paying a mortgage, but then they would get nothing for it and have to pay rent/mortgage soemwhere else.

Still, when I talk to many of my kids, the #1 thing they want is to get OUT of the city. I think that speaks volumes.
    You are all wrong, there is no crime in WNY

of course not.....

and that new Peace Bridge is going up any day now!
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky

Everyone knows there's no such thing as crime in WNY

No, only on the mean streets of Niagara Falls yo'. It be da most dangerous mo fo'in joint, and anyone dat be libin der is gansta dawg.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    No, only on the mean streets of Niagara Falls yo'. It be da most dangerous mo fo'in joint, and anyone dat be libin der is gansta dawg.
    LOL, you watch too much MTV

You arent gonna get killed in East St. Louis or Buffalo just for walking through.

So keep sitting in Clarence or wherever you live. I dont need a middle aged upper class white man to tell me what I know is real or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    LOL, you watch too much MTV
    Back when they played videos.
    You arent gonna get killed in East St. Louis or Buffalo just for walking through.

Same for Niagara Falls
    So keep sitting in Clarence or wherever you live.
    Seriously, the Northtowns suck. Southtowners hate Northtowners and vice versa. Actually let me put this on a level you'd understand...We (southtowners) are Bloods, and the Nortowners are the crips.
    I dont need a middle aged upper class white man to tell me what I know is real or not.
    34 is close to middle aged, but not yet.
    What you do or don't need is subjective, but a dose of common sense is definitly in order. So is some real life experience and a trip outside of WNY. I suggest the military.

Stop responding in the quote so people cant quote you.

34 is close to middle aged, but not yet.
    What you do or don't need is subjective, but a dose of common sense is definitly in order. So is some real life experience and a trip outside of WNY. I suggest the military.
    I dont need any more "life experience" I have quite enough of it to last me for a long time. Ive seen more **** and dealt with more **** before 20 then 89% of this board has yet too.

Back when they played videos..
    Apparantly not because Ive never heard anyone talk like that ever. LOL

Same for Niagara Falls
    I never said you would get killed just for walking through.

Robbed? Maybe. But not killed. My entire argument was that we have a large crime problem that is no different than any big city so therefore when some retard writes an article in the paper that the residents of the Falls have no reason to complain, it's a little frustrating.

Seriously, the Northtowns suck. Southtowners hate Northtowners and vice versa. Actually let me put this on a level you'd understand...We (southtowners) are Bloods, and the Nortowners are the crips.

That's Erie county. We dont say northtown here

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information